World Cup 2022

KingLeo10

the time of Zinedine Zidane :pique:

And Ronaldo.

These WCs had a strong France, Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Germany, Netherlands, Portugal (06), and England (at least talent wise). Even Spain wasn't bad in 2006, maybe a little naive though.

Right now, only France and maybe Brazil are strong. Spain, Germany don't even have an established no.9. Argentina is a hype job carried by 35 year old Messi and to a lesser extent 35 year old Di Maria. Outside of Messi/Di Maria, I only rate their GK (generally excellent) as world class. Portugal is an unknown but their main guy is an almost 38 year old CR7 lmao.

JamDav1982

In terms of star names there is not so many compared t0 back then but the game now is massively improved tactically and physically.

Teams are not worse just different. If anything they are at a higher level now collectively.

Jenks

France is really the only top team so far that has maintained their level from the first set of games.

Morten

And Ronaldo.

These WCs had a strong France, Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Germany, Netherlands, Portugal (06), and England (at least talent wise). Even Spain wasn't bad in 2006, maybe a little naive though.

Right now, only France and maybe Brazil are strong. Spain, Germany don't even have an established no.9. Argentina is a hype job carried by 35 year old Messi and to a lesser extent 35 year old Di Maria. Outside of Messi/Di Maria, I only rate their GK (generally excellent) as world class. Portugal is an unknown but their main guy is an almost 38 year old CR7 lmao.

08-12 had Spain though, even if a few other teams were average, at least that Spain side was something of a superteam.

Temptation

And Ronaldo.

Like JamDav said. It's more tactical and collective now. Before it was more individual and star based.

KingLeo10

Like JamDav said. It's more tactical and collective now. Before it was more individual and star based.

I agree the tactics and collective effort is higher than in the past.

But something tells me that the star packed teams of the past v physical/collective runners would go a little bit like Croatia vs Canada did yesterday.

JamDav1982

But something tells me that the star packed teams of the past v physical/collective runners would go a little bit like Croatia vs Canada did yesterday.

Nah the modern teams would win out that is why it changed.

Examples are players like Ozil.. good chance if he was born 10 years earlier and could be a 10 where his lack of workrate was not an issue he could be an all time great with how good he was in that role.

But todays top coaches wont give up the collective for that.

Game has moved on and improved as a whole.

The average technical ability of players have improved as well.

Temptation

Doesn't make sense to do these imaginary matchups between teams of different time periods(as fun as it is) due to the involvement of way too many variables. Not fair on the older or newer teams as things evolve and change.

It can also be an Argentina Saudi kinda thing hypothetically where the coach wins it with his superior tactics and collective team spirit and energy.

Ideally, even the best teams of the last few years are a combination of system and stars.

Home of Barca Fans