Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnidrologist

Didn't read most of the blowout after the match and i don't care. We lost it because of old geriatrics couldn't even get out of their own half. Whenever we actually had control and attacking initiative, it looked very good. The intricate passing, quick movement, i veruy much liked it. We haven't played like that for while. But it all goes to naught, when the old geezers can't even push the ball forward and are completely murdered by high press. Genius of Pedri, Gavi and Ansu wont help with that. I hope Xavi realizes s much. Okay, keep Busquets as a single outlet from the old guard, but get a bunch of young fast defenders to cover the shit up, if we fail. With Pique, Alba, Alves and Araujo, who couldn't handle the ball if his life depended on that, it's suicide. I actually believe that with Garcia we would actually win this match as we wouldn't be confined to our own half as much.

Anyhow, i'm still Xavi team. I just like how we play in final third now. Defensive problems CAN be solved by cadre change and i hope Xavi is urgent about that. He uses veterans because there's not much options now, but with fully renewed squad i think we're in fo a treat. :)

Bobo32

Didn't read most of the blowout after the match and i don't care. We lost it because of old geriatrics couldn't even get out of their own half. Whenever we actually had control and attacking initiative, it looked very good. The intricate passing, quick movement, i veruy much liked it. We haven't played like that for while. But it all goes to naught, when the old geezers can't even push the ball forward and are completely murdered by high press. Genius of Pedri, Gavi and Ansu wont help with that. I hope Xavi realizes s much. Okay, keep Busquets as a single outlet from the old guard, but get a bunch of young fast defenders to cover the shit up, if we fail. With Pique, Alba, Alves and Araujo, who couldn't handle the ball if his life depended on that, it's suicide. I actually believe that with Garcia we would actually win this match as we wouldn't be confined to our own half as much.

Anyhow, i'm still Xavi team. I just like how we play in final third now. Defensive problems CAN be solved by cadre change and i hope Xavi is urgent about that. He uses veterans because there's not much options now, but with fully renewed squad i think we're in fo a treat. :)

Busquets was obviously told to fall back into the defence line, and Gavi/Pedri/de Jong could not often be found for the 5 players trying to bring the ball up from the buildup. When they were found, even in nice positions behind the press, the best we could hope for from them was pretty much a quick glance forward before they jogged backwards and returned the ball to the defenders.

There was not much genious to be seen from the midfielders (not Busquets either) yesterday, but very timid, weak, clumsy and undaring play from all of them, on top of being a bit out of sync and out of position for the most time. Pedri had some nice moves out of nowhere (maybe 4 in the entire game) and Gavi maybe had one or two as well, but the game was lost on the midfield this time.

Porque

28 games, 8 goals and 5 assists. 1967 minutes played and no cards.

The amigo we should have brought back was Pedro Rodriguez

Birdy

Busquets was obviously told to fall back into the defence line, and Gavi/Pedri/de Jong could not often be found for the 5 players trying to bring the ball up from the buildup. When they were found, even in nice positions behind the press, the best we could hope for from them was pretty much a quick glance forward before they jogged backwards and returned the ball to the defenders.

There was not much genious to be seen from the midfielders (not Busquets either) yesterday, but very timid, weak, clumsy and undaring play from all of them, on top of being a bit out of sync and out of position for the most time. Pedri had some nice moves out of nowhere (maybe 4 in the entire game) and Gavi maybe had one or two as well, but the game was lost on the midfield this time.

Bobo,
I would appreciate if you could comment on my analysis with pics above.

I singled out precisely the problem of building from the back avoiding Bilbao's high energy pressing, and the fact that the same players could do it just fine last April, but could not yesterday.
Xavi is at big fault for instructing Busi to drop back with no pivot outlet in md and Pedri, Gavi, Frenkie being quite far away, leaving a huge gap

Kul_z

1. Still on the xavi train.
2. Expectations and comparing with pep needs to stop, pep in first year had puyol and henry in their post prime but revitalized years, xavi, iniesta, eto'o, dani alves and yaya toure in their absolute prime, young talented pique and busi, and total cheat code, abomination of football nature that in my opinion we wont see in our lifetime. It was easy to give a 10 jersey to someone who already scored hattrick against real, that goal against getafe, and already murdered while he was young teams like chelsea in that era. I still cant believe he isnt here.

3. I still count this season as the lost one but we need to finish top 4 and qualify for cl next season, xavi has no excuse, this has to be goal.

4. Fuck europa league, and i believe that has to be xavi mindset, against a proper(not too strong, napoli is that) side he needs to phase out the dinosaurs. Busquets, pique, alves, alba on bench, getting in if there isnt any other option.

4. Trust the process, but letting veterans/amigos play for 120 minutes and expect to win the tie is a total liability. Its a combination of intensity, skill, experience and hunger. Those players have 2 of those, and thats 50% percent of what is needed to become a heavy cl contender. You get the point, especially in that area.

5. Conslusion is that barca dna can work, but not with past it guys. I hope xavi sees that in time. Pique and alba have a pass, but busi(no matter how good he can be in some games) is taking a spot in the most delicate area where WE LOST EVERY FUCKING GAME THAT MATTERED.

The end.

Bobo32

Bobo,
I would appreciate if you could comment on my analysis with pics above.

I singled out precisely the problem of building from the back avoiding Bilbao's high energy pressing, and the fact that the same players could do it just fine last April, but could not yesterday.
Xavi is at big fault for instructing Busi to drop back with no pivot outlet in md and Pedri, Gavi, Frenkie being quite far away, leaving a huge gap

I agree that one problem was the distance between MCs and DCs for sure. These connections are a bit gone since Koeman arrived, it became more and more so that DMC and AMC lines were unoccupied (or MC when they advance to AMC), and we still see it.
I think it is a waste to have three players plus the goalkeeper in space 0 (+ 2 wing backs that also mostly offers options outside of the press) and I prefer to have players in behind the press in what's called space 1. Busquets returning to the defence makes it easier for the opponent attackers to move forward.

The clip you link with Bilbaos succesful press where Pique turns nicely twice without anyone showing himself is bad yes. Busquets has no business jogging back there I think. But it could be easily solved by a few decisions from the players later.
- Pedri takes up Busquets position, but contrary to Busquets, he has his back forwards and doesn't even try to be constructive but plays a one touch back to Busquets. Xavi himself would either play the one-touch in an angle to either CB, or more likely recieve the ball and shield it for a few touches, maybe even turn his marker, he wouldn't play that alibi pass right back to Busquets without a clear way out.
- Then Pique gets the ball, but doesn't even seem to look up but instead plays back to Stegen. I'll say that if Puig played, he would show for a straight pass from Pique, and an easy pass would beat the press and him and Pedri could advance. Gavi is too slow to help, and Pique plays too safely. If de Jong Played LCB he'd advance with the ball there and maybe find some constructive pass and make Bilbao think twice before pressing like that

These are smallish-looking things that make a lot of difference - succesful pressing builds confidence, and players being told to build from the back but not succeeding destroys confidence.
It is not about quickness of the feet or intensity, but about trust and confidence which Barcelona lacks severely, and also a bit bad positioning and timing from the midfielders.

Biggest reason I wanted Xavi was I thought he would make the players regain their confidence in buildup and also help players like Pedri and Gavi a bit with their positioning and decision making. I didn't think we'd see a game like yesterdays to be honest.

Gari

Xavi: "We analyzed the Athletic match. They beat us by intensity and courage. Not by technical level... And that's what hurts me the most as a coach."Already everyone openly tells him that the defense cannot consist of 35,38,32 and 34 year old players.And a youngster.
Xavi: "I'm convinced that we're at the beginning of something important. You have to have faith."We believe that. Opponents do not believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans