Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnidrologist

Coaches like Pep, Klopp & Zidane all said league is more important trophy.
It has nothing to do with "doing better" in it.
League is about being the better team on a weekly basis, CL is a trophy that you see your team play twice a month, with huge elements of luck and match ups.
Winning CL alone, when seen in vacuum maybe isn't the ultimate sign of greatness. Winning it on constant basis like Real, certainly is. They will be in the annals of history for it, not Barca with its 8 laliga titles in 10 years. Who besides catalans give a shit about that, really? The same way Peps Barca cemented legacy after not just winning, but demolishing top tier MU in both CL finals. Wouldn't they be challenged by their own lack of ruthlesness against Chelsea in 12 and challenged by the best bus in the history of buses against Mous Inter in 11, they'd be 4 CLs in a row and it wouldn't be unexpected and that would be above Reals 5 champions cups in 50s. These kind of milestones make history. Sperging about winning local league, where you have been clear favorite due to enormous financial privilege against any club not named Real Madrid for decades is just huge cope instinct. I didn't give much shit, when Barca lost to Atleti in that final matchday, but felt literally hurt after Roma and Liverpool debacles. Was depressed for a week or two till got involved in other daily stuff.

serghei

League is about being the better team on a weekly basis, CL is a trophy that you see your team play twice a month, with huge elements of luck and match ups.

True, but when you win both it's special. Normally, you have to compete for both. Madrid often focus on CL and half-ass it in the league. Which is why many times their CL win is not that memorable.

I think CL is more important, but when teams win the CL and they end up 3rd, 4th or even worse in their domestic league 6+ points away from the champions, winning the CL is not the mark of an elite side.

You can certainly win the CL by being a cup side team, which is how Madrid and to a lesser extent Liverpool and Milan do it.

Last edited:

ajnotkeith

Zidane said that, but he also said this :

“Winning the Champions League is never a matter of luck”

Also, you didn't read what I said. I asked him if he will still consider it meaningless if we won it this season (he won't) showing his point is dishonest.

serghei

Luck counts a lot in CL. Zidane should have said it's never only a matter of luck, but you have to an idiot to claim luck has nothing to do with it. It's a major factor in any narrow margins competitions where random draws happen.

A draw is by definition a random event where luck plays a huge factor.

Porque

Welp, Xavi said we lack 1 signing.

High standards this lad. No idea how he survived so long In the camel league. I bet he had to bring over his own Paella chef and build his own Arroz Bomba padi field greenhouse.

serghei

Besides, Madrid are best side in CL, but their first 5 wins were basically ancient stuff way before the competition became a huge draw. The real difference between Madrid vs the rest in CL is not in any way 14 vs 5-6 or what it is on paper.

fergus90

In terms of actual prestige the CL dwarfs winning the domestic league now, but as a fan I personally value the league wins just as much.

But teams do win their domestic leagues much more frequently than they did before which is probably why the Champions League is more sought after.

Gnidrologist

True, but when you win both it's special. Normally, you have to compete for both. Madrid often focus on CL and half-ass it in the league. Which is why many times their CL win is not that memorable.

I think CL is more important, but when teams win the CL and they end up 3rd, 4th or even worse in their domestic league 6+ points away from the champions, winning the CL is not the mark of an elite side.

You can certainly win the CL by being a cup side team, which is how Madrid and to a lesser extent Liverpool and Milan do it.
That's ridiculous take. Could you imagine Barca of recent 5 years "being a cup side team" and winning CL? No.
The whole idea that Real or any other club "focuses" on one tournament, while negleticing the othe is fake news. Maybe in England, where they have that ridiculous "carabaou cup", but certainly not between league and European glory. Everybody focuses on everything and Real was simply vastly superior club all around the park than Barca in recent years.

terryzinc

ZIDANE SAID HE WOULD RATHER WIN A LEAGUE TITLE THAN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE. That is after winning 3 of them. So did Pep and Klopp. CL is an exhibition. A 5th place RM won the CL one year... a meaningless exhibition that proves nothing... it is also a closed loop not every team is allowed to enter... and it is based on the PREVIOUS YEAR think about that.

Also it was never that big a deal to fans TV has made seem like a big deal

Last edited:

FinBarcelonafan

Zidane said that, but he also said this :

?Winning the Champions League is never a matter of luck?

Also, you didn't read what I said. I asked him if he will still consider it meaningless if we won it this season (he won't) showing his point is dishonest.

Even Zidane must know that's BS. Tie where 180min of football is played doesn't have any luck involved. Sure.

It's stupid quote.

CL has a lot of randomness in it.

Barcilliant

The cl is the ultimate trophy. No fan takes you seriously if you win 10 league titles but win fuck all in the cl. Who is more respected among fans-Real or Juve???
We all know the answer to that. So despite winning umpteen league titles of late Juve still get no respect among the general fanbase. If they won their finals against Barca and Real they would be looked at differently. Look at City and PSG too. So many league titles yet noone cares about them
The cl is the real test. You go up against the best in Europe and bar the final it's a two legged affair. The pressure is on and there is no hiding. Yes, you need luck but you also need to be clutch.
In the Figo documentary R Carlos clearly said the CL was always Reals priority. It should be ours too. There needs to be a change in mentality towards the cl. No more crying about luck, draws, refs, weather, pitches etc. Go out and win the fucking thing. I'm personally sick 9f club being laughing stock of Europe in CL.

Temptation

The managers can say whatever they want.

To the fans and players it matters the most. That's all that matters.

I was way more gutted after losing the CL last season.

Barcilliant

No thanks would rather win the league. Winning the CL and not winning the league does not prove you are the best team.

I guess you can join the rest of f the Catalan soy boys who think that beating sides like Cadiz and Elche over 30 plus games is a sign of greatness. I would rather win against the best in Europe in high pressure games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans