Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajnotkeith

Xavi has never wanted to leave the club. Despite his many character flaws, he loves Barcelona and equally has a huge ego so it is a double whammy in not wanting to fail here.
If they want him to stay, it is as easy as asking him. If he leaves, it is probably because the club didn't try hard enough to keep him.

JohnN

If Xavi actually leaves we need to assign a new manager ASAP.
There is no point in waiting for the actual season end, when there is no goal to achieve.
His flaws are evident for most fans as well as his good attributes.
If that is good enough for the board it's OK, but it wouldn't hurt us that much to try someone new and give him time to prepare for next season.

ajnotkeith

There is no point in waiting for the actual season end, when there is no goal to achieve.
If that is good enough for the board it's OK, but it wouldn't hurt us that much to try someone new and give him time to prepare for next season.
The main reason I would toss him is his seemingly awful character. He comes across as extremely spiteful, arrogant and frankly abusive to the public.

It could be that the situation behind the scenes is different and he doesn't actually believe everything he is saying. But to an extent he has always been like this, even during his times as a player.

A lot of people justify this sort of stuff as sports psychology or tactics, but it doesn't come off like that, it genuinely seems like he believes he can do no wrong and is incredibly abusive towards others who he sees as being responsible for his lack of successes in management.

The likes of Mourinho normalised this to an extent, but it isn't good practise and especially not when it's genuinely limiting your team's advancement in assigning failure to win the league to the 'competition being fixed for Madrid' (his words).

Last edited:

serghei

Xavi has never wanted to leave the club. Despite his many character flaws, he loves Barcelona and equally has a huge ego so it is a double whammy in not wanting to fail here.
If they want him to stay, it is as easy as asking him. If he leaves, it is probably because the club didn't try hard enough to keep him.

It's not as easy as asking him, because the main problems come from the club not having funds to improve the squad. If that is not fixed and the objective of the club is not changed... that's an issue.

The pressure of results at Barcelona is huge. Every manager has spoken about it in the past. The difference is that, in the past, the club signed the best players in the world, and so the pressure was in large part justified. Now that balance between what the club gives and what the club demands is long gone and replaced by a state of delusion.

Last edited:

ajnotkeith

It's not as easy as asking him, because the main problems come from the club not having funds to improve the squad. If that is not fixed and the objective of the club are not changed... that's an issue.
Well we can't create money from nowhere. We can get funds, a lot of them, in fact, but we'll have to sell some players, we can't have our cake and eat it and keep signing without outgoings.

The way I see it, we could strengthen the squad significantly by selling certain players who are replaceable or less important compared to our squad holes. Then he'll be able to pick targets again like he did before rather than being stuck with players who dont fit (in my opinion, at least one of Gavi, Pedri or Frenkie should go)

serghei

Well we can't create money from nowhere. We can get funds, a lot of them, in fact, but we'll have to sell some players, we can't have our cake and eat it and keep signing without outgoings.

The way I see it, we could strengthen the squad significantly by selling certain players who are replaceable or less important compared to our squad holes. Then he'll be able to pick targets again like he did before rather than being stuck with players who dont fit (in my opinion, at least one of Gavi, Pedri or Frenkie should go)

If the club sells some players, then the list of players that need to be signed gets bigger. You need many hundreds of millions for 5-6 transfers of that caliber.

ajnotkeith

If the clubs sells some players, then the list of players that need to be signed gets bigger. You need many hundreds of millions for 5-6 transfers of that caliber.
I dont agree the list gets bigger, the whole point is you allocate resources where they're needed most and allocate less to the positions needed less.

We have some baggage and not every single player in the squad is vital to success. In my opinion, one of the midfielders could be sold without problems, as none of them have proven to be vital (and in Pedri's case, never fit).

Balde, who we reportedly had huge offers for, also isn't that important, for example, though, this applies to many of our players.

The consequence of selling some players is less than the consequence of having no actual DM or having bad wingers, so you reallocate the resources on a need basis.

serghei

Considering what the club's ambitions are, and what they can offer at the moment on the market, we don't need a manager, we need a miracle worker.

serghei

I dont agree the list gets bigger, the whole point is you allocate resources where they're needed most and allocate less to the positions needed less.

We have some baggage and not every single player in the squad is vital to success. In my opinion, one of the midfielders could be sold without problems, as none of them have proven to be vital (and in Pedri's case, never fit).

Balde, who we reportedly had huge offers for, also isn't that important, for example, though, this applies to many of our players.

The consequence of selling some players is less than the consequence of having no actual DM or having bad wingers, so you reallocate the resources on a need basis.

That's true, for short term. It is a wise move to sell Pedri or De Jong and use the money to fix the DM position. And use the last 1-2 years of Gundogan by supporting him with a quality DM, basically recreate a bit of the midfield structure he had at City. After that you need to replace Gundogan.

Provided the club can get a good price for Pedri, which I have big doubts about, and provided they can pressure De Jong to leave, which I also have big doubts about.

Thing is investments never stop. If you look at every big club out there, they invest at least 100-150m every summer almost. Adjusting the squad is a continuous process.

It's also true that once you reach a top class squad, then you also sell for high prices, and net spending decreases. For us currently, we are not in a position to sell players we don't need for high prices. Because the players we don't need are not rated.

Last edited:

Messigician

Santi Cazorla: "Xavi surprised me as a manager. As a player, he never raised his tone. But now... one time we were losing and I see him screaming, throwing things, insulting people. I asked him, 'Xavi, what happened to you?'"

jamrock

Selling de jong to get a DM who can do the job would obviously improve the team.

Sometimes you gotta take one step back to take 2 forward.

xavi knew his weaknesses with positional play, as did anyone who actually knows Ball, amongst other weaknesses, but this place was in a fit when he tried to sell him.

The club should have stood firm, but him refusing to leave didn't help things and if he's going to stay might as well play him and fair play to him he tried to improve, which just goes to show he will never be that player because even when he's trying he fails.

But if 2 years ago we replaced de jong with zubi, we would be X2 league champions and on our way to the CL final.

Devils

If his replacement is someone who is already at another club i.e. Tuchel then it is fair to keep him.

If not i.e. Flick, then yes, he needs to leave.

If we lose the Clasico today, and the next manager is available, there should be no reason why Xavi stays until the end of the season. He should be sacked and let the next manager come and start working on the squad for next season.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Not a single serious manager would take over a team with 6 games left to go and nothing else to play for, nor are you going to get much out of working with the squad mere weeks before all of them will go on vacations and start preparing for EURO and Copa America.

And a new manager can plan next season and squad already with Deco and the club and would probably be better to wait until after the season ends too, to not let a new manager bounce or useless games cloud your judgement of some players or what's needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans