2 - João Cancelo

serghei

...then barca must he a warehouse for rejects of other "higher level" clubs even if the player causes defeats upon defeats??

No. But that's the reality at the moment. You are either realistic about it or you throw tantrums like a petulant child. Either way, it's not going to affect the current possibilities of the club.

We can't sign the top players in their prime. Quite simple to grasp. That's why we can only touch the elite players once they are 30+ years of age.

khaled_a_d

Cancelo has been always like this, and clubs put up with those bad games because he can be lethal against bottom teams.
In a world were Balde is starting LB, having Cancelo here is good enough.

But we are in a situation where we can negotiate another loan, buying him will be stupid.

No. But that's the reality at the moment. You are either realistic about it or you throw tantrums like a petulant child. Either way, it's not going to affect the current possibilities of the club.

We can't sign the top players in their prime. Quite simple to grasp. That's why we can only touch the elite players once they are 30+ years of age.
Completely disagree....stating that Barca should focus on getting players who are realistically better at defending as defenders(even at Barca Athletic) at a fraction of the loan cost of elite players that are not positionally aware as a defender is not petulant, its practical. What is delusional though, is to think an approach of getting "top club rejects" in their 30s is a more progressive solution to the current challenges.

Cancelo has been always like this, and clubs put up with those bad games because he can be lethal against bottom teams.
In a world were Balde is starting LB, having Cancelo here is good enough.

But we are in a situation where we can negotiate another loan, buying him will be stupid.
.....Barca board are not unfamiliar with making stupid decisions. I wont be surpised if Cancello and Felix are bought

Porque

Hope we loan him another year with Mendes sorting him a sale to SA to play with Botox Porkchop in a years time.

Or we sign him, and Mendes manufactures the same deal.

Balde/Cancelo > Balde/Las Palmas guy at the end of the day.

-Question is what is Forts ceiling?
-Is his best position LB or RB?
-Does Kounde finally accept he is starting RB and backup CB next season, and not the other way round?

Because otherwise without Cancelo we will be a bit short across both fullback positions.

Kul_z

Yea I agree, for the right price or a loan, I'd keep him next season for his versatility.
Yup. Balde hoping to come back and fort as a back up, he should stay away from lb position as far as possible. Although i wouldnt be against him to cover for lw when needed. Rb with proper dm could do the trick too against lesser quality opponents.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
I hope we buy/loan him - like many have said he is a liability (PSG ffs!), but he has also done a ton of good work for us and he is super versatile... I mean he can play LB, RB and LW.

CatalinR10

I hope we buy/loan him - like many have said he is a liability (PSG ffs!), but he has also done a ton of good work for us and he is super versatile... I mean he can play LB, RB and LW.

Loan , sure.

Buy ? Why would we spend money for a player who gives away goals and penalties to any top opposition out there ?

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Loan , sure.

Buy ? Why would we spend money for a player who gives away goals and penalties to any top opposition out there ?
I think he'll be cheap. I don't think any club would want him and he only wants us. But sure, loan until he's free would be optimal :lol:
And that tackle on Dembele, that was like 1 centimer from not being a pk - Aroujo cost us the game, not Cancelo.

Messi983

There were reports City wants 40m which some PL and Saudi clubs are willing to pay so he wouldn't be cheap. The only cards we can play on is Cancelo only wanting Barça and Mendes being powerful enough to do that. But I don't think City will accept another pure loan without obligation to buy. And while that would be understandable from a financial perspective (our situation in 2025 should be better than this year) it would be very wrong from a sporting viewpoint. Signing him next summer on a 3-4 year contract (would have to be a longer term contract to lower yearly costs) would be worse than buying him now and just a disaster waiting to happen imo. We also can't count on selling him to SA in 2-3 years when we have more than enough experience players rarely actually wants to leave Barça when we try to offload them.

All that said, personally I wouldn't want him back not even on another loan. Just can't stand his inconsistency and inability to defend. Kounde/Araujo - Balde/Cardona with Fort being able to cover both positions is more than good enough for next season.

khaled_a_d

There were reports City wants 40m which some PL and Saudi clubs are willing to pay so he wouldn't be cheap.

I mean this is the same type of reports about Barca wanting X amount of money for Fati/Lenglet/Dest etc that we have seen consistently tbh.
If there was a club willing to buy Cancelo it would have happened already, City are stuck with him while they desperately want him out with a bad blood between him and the coach that everyone knows about, and fairly high wage and long contract at the age of 30.
He is essentially their Lenglet, so unless they struck gold they have zero leverage here.

At the end, we don't need to bid against anyone, a loan should be our offer and take it or leave it.
As for Cardona, doesn't seem to be highly rated by anyone tbh, he just seems like a very limited player who is equally bad to Cancelo in defense, without any attacking ability.

I think he'll be cheap. I don't think any club would want him and he only wants us. But sure, loan until he's free would be optimal :lol:
And that tackle on Dembele, that was like 1 centimer from not being a pk - Aroujo cost us the game, not Cancelo.
Lol...Xavi made Barca lose the game..not Araujo

Home of Barca Fans