Let's talk about Xavi's replacement (2024)

Xavi replacement v3

• Total voters

BusiTheKing

I'd like someone who can attract some talent. Fit wise it's always a gamble anyway.

Be ok with Rafa, I guess. Conceicao I don't get.

Loki

I'd like someone who can attract some talent. Fit wise it's always a gamble anyway.

We need someone who can also attract good players even if our offer isn't the best. Xavi was good in that. Gundogan came despite having better offers and I believe Xavi played a part.

Messi983

And I would prefer someone who actually knows what to do with the talent already here. Sure, we have some holes in the team (mainly DM) but overall we're not as bad as it looks. Just need players to stay fit (some of that is probably bad luck, like Frenkie's injuries this season but other is also down to level of trainings and mismanagement of the squad - overplaying some players or forcing them back after injuries - most of these problems existed even before Xavi tbf).

Problem with Xavi was not attracting players, he convinced Kounde who was on the verge of signing with Chelsea. Raphinha and Lewy too only wanted to join us. Reports were he was also the one who talked with Kessie (and AFAIK Gundo too) to sign. But then didn't know what to do with him. And that was/is the main problem with Xavi - evaluating the RIGHT players and knowing how to use them.

Even if we would somehow manage to sign Zubi, Nico and Bernardo, he would still need just one or two more players rather than try to figure out how to get the best out of the existing squad. When you're not in a position to buy you have to find internal solutions. He did that when he started to use Christensen as DM. Not ideal and certainly not long term but the best we could do with current players. So have to give Xavi credit for that. I don't think he's as bad as some people think but obviously has a lot more to learn. Both from a tactical perspective and also mature as a coach not letting emotions getting the worst out of him. Can't get booked every third game. Maybe that will improve in another club where he won't be as emotionally involved, basically acting as a fan on the sideline.

Andresito

Staff member
I think it has to be someone who knows the club's handicap from within. There are so many question marks on how the club have/will operate in the short term due to financial crippling. It's going to be Rafa, it's easiest that way.

I'd rather have Tuchel than Flick for example, but don't think he'll come. And where can I read that he won't renew with Bayern? Seemed like a done deal few days ago.

Messi983

And where can I read that he won't renew with Bayern? Seemed like a done deal few days ago.

Thomas Tuchel on his future: "This is the last press conference on Säbener Straße. The agreement from February remains. There were further discussions, but we didn't find an agreement."

Andresito

Staff member

Thomas Tuchel on his future: "This is the last press conference on Säbener Straße. The agreement from February remains. There were further discussions, but we didn't find an agreement."
Wow. Wonder what his motives are. He managed Chelsea, PSG and Bayern. What's left if not for one of the big Spanish clubs? Liverpool seems unlikely. Everything else is a big step down from Bayern.

Andresito

Staff member
Maybe a certain someone with a big belly phoned him in the night.
Like calling a random gal for a booty call after breaking up.

Would be crazy if the process was that short in our case. Laporta gets angry and finds a replacement for Xavi in 1-2 days? And one that hasn't been talked about in media too much.
But I hope we are somewhat of a professional club and have weighed the Tuchel option months ago so that it's possible to make these quick calls.

Messi983

Like calling a random gal for a booty call after breaking up.

Would be crazy if the process was that short in our case. Laporta gets angry and finds a replacement for Xavi in 1-2 days? And one that hasn't been talked about in media too much.
But I hope we are somewhat of a professional club and have weighed the Tuchel option months ago so that it's possible to make these quick calls.

What that happens over the last decade plus gives you hope we are a professional club?

Home of Barca Fans