1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

malvolio

No one gives a @#$& about his general perceived image. We are looking at his performance on the pitch. Why you bring that into debate god knows. if something is taking away from mats being a leader it is prolly uninspiring performances.

also keepers in general are known to be einzelgangers
Who said I'm using that in the debate? Already agreed that he is not some wonder keeper.

Was our best player and probably the best GK in the top 5 leagues last season. So I think that doesn’t make him a bad or even mediocre keeper.

Last edited:

malvolio

I would say the single biggest reason why Barcelona had only 1 European Cup before 2006, is that we have NEVER had a world class goalkeeper. Ever.

Look at yesterday's game. Kobel wonder save at the end to deny Mbappe taking it to extra time and possibly penalties, where it would all be down to the goalkeeper again.

Today, Neuer would have been the difference maker in the tie if they had managed to win. Instead he was the difference maker in the tie with his mistake.

The goalkeeper is by far the most important player in the pitch. We have to be doing better than MATS if you want UCL success. It's that simple.
While you are right in that Barca never put much emphasis on buying top keepers, the GK role is not that important most of the time.

Sure, some important saves can cover a lack of overall poor team. Kobel and Neuer did a great job but at the end of the day their teams were poor. Dortmund being lucky to get to the final.

To put things into perspective I ask you, who the fuck were Kobel or Lunin? Are these some world class keepers? Would you consider them better overall than Stegen?

Look at Aston Villa, a clutch keeper won't win you anything if as a team you're mediocre.

If GK was "by far the most important player on the pitch" he would be paid the most. And they are not.

Madrid didn't win all these CLs in the last 15 years because of the GK. They had players all over the pitch who shouldered the leadership and came in clutch with goals at the right time.

draconifire

People shitting on Neuer and comparing it to MaTS, seem to forget the number of times he has saved this team, and not been the one that singlehandedly was the worst goalkeeper performance in the knockout stages.
Doesn't even count the fact that he has 2 CLs while being the main man and leading, you can expect Bayern to be in Semis almost always. And Neuer is just 6 years older than Mats.

draconifire

Bro at this point Valdes was 10x better keeper and clutch performer than Mats. And how I remember he was being clowned at in this forum.

Reactions: BJJ

malvolio

People shitting on Neuer and comparing it to MaTS, seem to forget the number of times he has saved this team, and not been the one that singlehandedly was the worst goalkeeper performance in the knockout stages.
Doesn't even count the fact that he has 2 CLs while being the main man and leading, you can expect Bayern to be in Semis almost always. And Neuer is just 6 years older than Mats.
Nobody is shitting on Neuer. He's probably the best ever. That's why it is an idiotic take to compare him to Stegen.

draconifire

Valdes was a clown who had elite teams in front of him. You started watching football yesterday or have some memory issues.
Stockholm syndrome I see. Would take VV any days of the week over Mats.
You have been memory-holed into thinking Mats has improved the position when he's been mediocre since Bravo left.

khaled_a_d

Valdes had a great peak tbf, but overall he was our weakest link in both Rijkaard and Pep teams.
Except with RB during early Rijkaard years.

Regardless the comparison, Stegen injury history, age, and even height (not common that GK shorter than 1.9m to last long) we need to start preparing for his successor tbh.
And a legit backup GK is a must

Jaguar

Flair Trait
Ter Stegen a decent goalkeeper with higher than average control and passing, that’s about it. He isn’t a Courtois or Neuer, they’re genuinely world class goalkeepers that make insane saves often. Let me put it this way, even if Neuer had a blunder for the first goal vs Real Madrid, he made saves Ter Stegen would have likely let in beforehand. It was 2-1 but if Ter Stegen was in goal it would have been 5-1 or 6-1. Even though pivot and winger are our main priorities, a goalkeeper should definitely be the 3rd one if possible.

Home of Barca Fans