8 - Pedro Gonzalez "Pedri"

vegitot

This idea that used to have a different physical level that he can somehow regain is a bit of an illusion.

He's always been a player that appeared in moments and then went missing. People saw the glimpses of talent and ignored the more basic shortcomings. It's just getting more exposed now that people expect a more central, authoritative role from him, which he can't deliver.

Been complaining about these things since his first season in midfield. Lack of general pass-and-move contribution. The meagre off-the-ball running. Lack of spring in his step.

I even prefered Puig over him, an admittedly much less talented player, because of the difference in energy.
Read Pep comment about Foden. Completely opposite of Pedri.

Pep Guardiola: "PhilFoden has a sixth gear. But he can't play all the time sixth gear. Play second, or third. With time he'll learn. Today [vs Brighton] was much better than games before. Everything so quick... no! Say, ‘Slower,’ to make it quicker after, surprise opponents..."

Wonder if any coach can fix Pedri's weakness.

Blanco

With Xavi putting him on the bench in Classico and saying he thought about taking him out instead of Yamal against PSG - its clear that even Xavi is starting to lose faith in Pedri. Xavi also insists of getting at least one new midfielder in the summer, Gavi is returning next season and I couldnt see how Pedri would be a starter next season if everybody is available.

vuji_31

He was eating dust after 39 years old Modric.

YOu can't be on top level if you are not PHY speciman this day.

He is bellow average.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

The midfield will be a problem next season

Gundo has been our best man but he will be 34 soon

Pedri is hot and cold

Roberto/Fermin are good sub players but doubt they are top level

and then if we sell Frenkie it's completely over

vuji_31

True, we need to reconfigure our midfield.

Getting 2 CDM's is first thing and for sure as it seems.

I would offload Gavi/Pedri without thinking twice if we can get Wirtz/Musiala/Simmons

Blanco

Simmons option for you is the one I really dont like. Watched him live against us in Bernabeu and he was impressive, since then I am watching RB Leipzig games and I am pretty sure PSG/City/Liverpool/Chelsea would be all asking for him.

Bernardo is top 7/8 player itw for me (because he is world class at least at 3 positions), but if Barca is getting one of them I will pick Bernardo, because he is almost 30 and with all that running under Pep he shouldn't have much more in the tank.

Anyway both of them are massive upgrade to Pedri, who has literally no strengths in his game and is just Barca hype machine product.

vuji_31

Simmons option for you is the one I really dont like. Watched him live against us in Bernabeu and he was impressive, since then I am watching RB Leipzig games and I am pretty sure PSG/City/Liverpool/Chelsea would be all asking for him.

Bernardo is top 7/8 player itw for me (because he is world class at least at 3 positions), but if Barca is getting one of them I will pick Bernardo, because he is almost 30 and with all that running under Pep he shouldn't have much more in the tank.

Anyway both of them are massive upgrade to Pedri, who has literally no strengths in his game and is just Barca hype machine product.
In ideal world, I would bring them in this order. Musiala, Wirtz, Simmons and last B.Silva.
Bayern will probably not sell Musiala for even 150mil, Wirtz could be De Bruyne substitution, Xavi Simmons is PSG player. It is mission impossible.
Most realistic case is we get B.Silva for 60mil and fond Wirtz to City, while we get player that is not in his prime years and will have 0 resell value in few years.

I hope so people in Barca have realized we can not count on Pedri, he is class bellow all of this players by big margin.
If we can not get any of these 3 that I mentioned, I would not bring anyone.
We need Madrid approach with waiting for players like Mbappe, Davies etc...

We have CDM and LW postions that need to be improved ASAP.

vegitot

Pedri isn't class below Wirtz or Simmon. Any coach would pick Pedri in their team actually. His talent with the ball is so obvious.

However he does have weaknesses that can be big problem in long term.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Right now no one would pick Pedri over Wirtz.

Wirtz is also incredibly talented on the ball and can actually run and press without getting injured every other game. Unless Pedri's physical situation improves he's sadly on the path of Isco where he's very talented, but just not good enough to start unless you build your team around him and have others run for him.

Which doesn't work in a top club unless you're Messi or CR7, but would work in a lesser team.

Andresito

Staff member
Let's not forget Wirtz' ACL injury last year. This season he will have played as many club minutes as Pedri did back in 2020/21, around 3500 minutes.
Incredible recovery.

Home of Barca Fans