Antony

Temptation

That's not showboating. That's just him being an absolute clown. One of the dumbest and most embarassing things I have seen a Footballer do. I think people are just laughing at him making a fool of himself. The pundits need to word it better.

Everyone likes watching players do skills but if you're putting yourself in the spotlight and it doesn't come off then be ready for the mocking.

Football is entertainment and there's nothing wrong with showboating.

If Anthony stops being himself he'll be unfair to himself.

Temptation

Footballs got so boring that were killing someone for providing a little entertainment.

Then someone else does a tactical foul and is praised for breaking a dangerous attack by media, fans and coaches.

Bizarro land I tell ya.

Football is more about systems and efficiency now. The game has evolved. Everything evolves with time.

If you're showboating like Anthony you're trying to humiliate your opponents and get under their skin. Hence, people will kick you and try to hurt you. Showboating is dumb because you are literally inviting injuries for yourself.

I don't even see the entertainment factor in that move tbh. But there are effective ways to do it. St. Maximan does it without inviting unnecessary hard tackles from opponents. It seems to me that Anthony is trying a little too hard. "Oh look at me. I'm Brazilian and I'll be the next Dinho".....CR7 did a lot of showboating too. But he's strong enough to ride challenges and a physical freak who can take care of himself. Players like Neymar and Anthony have zero body strength and get harmed by angry opponents.

Ever watched Zidane? He got under opponents' skin but he was a unit physically and had a nasty streak so no one could physically shut him down or kick him out of games.

Clearly, Anthony's manager didn't like it and subbed him off BTW so......

It's a high risk high reward kinda thing. If it comes off, fans will love it and the clips will be hailed on Social Media. If it doesn't you'll get trolled. Simple as that.

Last edited:

Horatio

You're welcome
The weirdest of it all, that trick of Antony(he has done it in Eredivisie a few times) is super easy to perform. So it is not even a display of skill. It just looks elegant maybe?

I don't like or dislike Antony. I'll give him benefit of doubt. I think this is just part of him and it will take a while to get it out of his system. Don't even think he does it to provoke the opponent or showboat. Just does it on instinct.

Temptation

The weirdest of it all, that trick of Antony(he has done it in Eredivisie a few times) is super easy to perform. So it is not even a display of skill. It just looks elegant maybe?

I don't like or dislike Antony. I'll give him benefit of doubt. I think this is just part of him and it will take a while to get it out of his system. Don't even think he does it to provoke the opponent or showboat. Just does it on instinct.

Fair enough. You're clearly at a better position to make a judgement.

Tbf, there's nothing wrong with him showboating but if he becomes provocative he'll expose himself to tougher challenges and get targetted by the media. On the other hand, he'll have more appeal to fans.

Horatio

You're welcome
Fair enough. You're clearly at a better position to make a judgement.

Tbf, there's nothing wrong with him showboating but if he becomes provocative he'll expose himself to tougher challenges and get targetted by the media. On the other hand, he'll have more appeal to fans.

From what I understand Antony is professional(much more so than Neymar) and hard worker. Don't remember he had any incidents at Ajax. If he weren't Ten Hag would never had brought him to Man U. Ten Hag has a lot of faith in Antony improving further.

Temptation

From what I understand Antony is professional(much more so than Neymar) and hard worker. Don't remember he had any incidents at Ajax. If he weren't Ten Hag would never had brought him to Man U. Ten Hag has a lot of faith in Antony improving further.

Makes sense.

Also, Ten Hag's English is a lot better than you told me!!!

I was expecting Emery esque memes fam!

Horatio

You're welcome
Makes sense.

Also, Ten Hag's English is a lot better than you told me!!!

I was expecting Emery esque memes fam!

But I have told you, he improved drastically in a short while. It was not this good when he was appointed(or maybe he needed to get into the groove). In Netherlands pundits have started commenting on how quickly his English improved. I am surprised as well, as he seems to get better every week at a steady pace.

Interesting tidbit: In his comment on Antony at the end he says "but if it is a trick because of a trick I will correct him". This is the Dutch language playing a trick on him. He means to say "if it is a trick done for the sake of doing a trick I will correct him."

Last edited:

Temptation

But I have told you, he improved drastically in a short while. It was not this good when he was appointed(or maybe he needed to get into the groove). In Netherlands pundits have started commenting on how quickly his English improved.

Dutch people learn the language pretty swiftly/easily.

Most Dutch people I have met speak excellent English. Most were from Amsterdam and other big cities though. A couple of them were hookers. :lol:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I love showboating, but it just looks a bit embarrassing when it's not useful like Antony's spin 5-10 meters away from the defender.

feggydinho

Football is more about systems and efficiency now. The game has evolved. Everything evolves with time.

If you're showboating like Anthony you're trying to humiliate your opponents and get under their skin. Hence, people will kick you and try to hurt you. Showboating is dumb because you are literally inviting injuries for yourself.

I don't even see the entertainment factor in that move tbh. But there are effective ways to do it. St. Maximan does it without inviting unnecessary hard tackles from opponents. It seems to me that Anthony is trying a little too hard. "Oh look at me. I'm Brazilian and I'll be the next Dinho".....CR7 did a lot of showboating too. But he's strong enough to ride challenges and a physical freak who can take care of himself. Players like Neymar and Anthony have zero body strength and get harmed by angry opponents.

Ever watched Zidane? He got under opponents' skin but he was a unit physically and had a nasty streak so no one could physically shut him down or kick him out of games.

Clearly, Anthony's manager didn't like it and subbed him off BTW so......

It's a high risk high reward kinda thing. If it comes off, fans will love it and the clips will be hailed on Social Media. If it doesn't you'll get trolled. Simple as that.

Anthony has been subbed many times, nothing to do with the spin (man was also spinning in Ajax with Tem Hag as coach).

Another thing is that they were already winning the game and in so much control so nothing really wrong about that (it's not like he does it everytime) . He won't do that in tough games like against Arsenal, Man City and the likes.

Man was just expressing and enjoying the moment

iniestaGOAT

These are the kind of tricks barca player should be doing

Rapinha seems to be comepltely useless and has no joga bonito in him

Givenchy

What he did isn't even flair or a skill, it's spinning around twice like a twat and passing the ball out for a goal kick, beyond cringe.

I've been impressed with his scoring vs City and Arsenal but he's actually not the winger I was expecting. Seems slower and doesn't take his fullback on much certainly isn't beating them for pace, not much flair and he literally has no right foot.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

What he did isn't even flair or a skill, it's spinning around twice like a twat and passing the ball out for a goal kick, beyond cringe.

I've been impressed with his scoring vs City and Arsenal but he's actually not the winger I was expecting. Seems slower and doesn't take his fullback on much certainly isn't beating them for pace, not much flair and he literally has no right foot.

prime Robben would be the best RW by far, these days most Rws are crap

Home of Barca Fans