Best and most resourceful manager in recent La Liga history?

Best and most resourceful manager in recent La liga history?

• Joaquin Caparros

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Diego Simeone

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Pep Guardiola

Votes: 35 43.2%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Manuel Pellegrini

Votes: 33 40.7%
  • Quique Flores

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
La liga has had some amazing managers who have been able to work with very little to create amazing results and make teams play beautiful football. Over the last 10 years, which one do you think has been the best?

Remember, this is based on overall managing ability. That means tactics, man management, transfers, resourcefulness, crisis management, stability, and able to work with weak squads to make them into formidable teams.

I didn't include some like Tito or VDB because they haven't been managing long enough in the time frame that this poll takes place in (last 10 years).

Also try not to be too biased towards Pep just because he was Barcelona's manager. He was a tactical genius but he wasn't the best in terms of transfers and the squad he had was nowhere near as weak as some of the other liga teams.

Last edited:

Fourteen

Monster Masch
Why is Pep even on this list? "Managers who have been able to work with very little.." He doesn't fall in to that category, he was at Barcelona for christ sake with one of the best generations of footballers ever to exist.

Pellegrini wins this hands down. What he's been able to do at Malaga and particularly the level he reached with Villareal is/was nothing short of exceptional when looking at the size of the clubs and their resources. (In Malaga's case they went from rich to poor very quickly and that hasn't stopped them from achieving success).

Last edited:

PaulFCB

Banned
Villareal was a good team IMO, of course, they were also very lucky to reach the QF playing Rangers and Inter ( Inter under Macini = European Cups losers guaranteed ) and could've been in that final if Lehmann didn't have a sensational penalty save in the dying minutes of the 2nd leg with Arsenal, they couldn't have it any easier back then.
Pellegrini proved that he's a good coach, no doubt, he scored more points than Mourinho in his season at Real vs. Mourinho's 1st season ( and Jose also enjoyed some reinforcements ). The only difference is he was beaten by Lyon in the R16 and Mourinho managed to pass that stage, but Lyon was getting was the one who had a downfall.
My opinion is Diego Simeone, despite not managing to change the mentality of Atletico in games vs. Real, at least managed to prioritize and achieve something. Last year he won with no problem the Europa League having Falcao but we all know that's not enough and now managing a Champions League spot ( something more important than winning Europa League in my opinion ). He used to captain of the Argentine team and a leader, I think he will have a good career as coach.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Why is Pep even on this list? "Managers who have been able to work with very little.." He doesn't fall in to that category, he was at Barcelona for christ sake with one of the best generations of footballers ever to exist.

Pellegrini wins this hands down. What he's been able to do at Malaga and particularly the level he reached with Villareal is/was nothing short of exceptional when looking at the size of the clubs and their resources. (In Malaga's case they went from rich to poor very quickly and that hasn't stopped them from achieving success).

I put him on here because tactics wise he is unmatched and due to all the success he had over his tenure. It was easier for him to reach success than it was for the others, but the heights and levels he reached were so high that I had to put him as an option. That being said I don't think he deserves all the votes just because he's one of the only managers on the list known by the members and their favorite by default.

I agree Pellegrini has been an absolutely amazing and under appreciated manager for some time now. However by personal opinion I would have to go with Caparros. He seriously did wonders at Sevilla and set the foundation for one of the best eras in the clubs history. He managed to correctly utilize and develop players like Ramos, Alves, Navas, Adriano, and Reyes into top quality players. All of their domestic and European success in later years was because of Caparros building Sevilla into a great team.

Caparros was also very influential on Bilbao as he completely changed their fortunes in the league. He got them to a CDR final and guaranteed their league safety for the first time in quite a while. Plus, he nurtured many of Bilbao's players into forming the core of what would become a great team with a quality squad. Llorente, Susaeta, Muniain, de Marcos, and Javi Martinez all thrived under Caparros and over the years would form a team connection that made them better and better. Bielsa gets all the credit for changing Bilbao last season but all he did was take over where Caparros left off and implement his own tactical style. Their success however was brought upon by what Caparros did to strengthen the team over the course of his time as coach there. Of course, Bielsa ended up being one of the main factors in our downfall this season as well.

Caparros was more of a slow and steady coach who would build the team up and guarantee long term success and foundation for the future. He's been responsible for the development and rise of some of la liga's best players of the past few years. Also, the fact that I'm a Bilbao fan makes me a bit biased towards him :lol:. That being said, Pellegrini is still an outstanding manager in my view and really has worked wonders with the teams he has coached.

Doobs

The Messiah
Yup Mou. He only had 250 million worth of players to work with.

Seriously though, I'll go with Simeone he's brought them a winning mentality. Pellegrini deserves a mention but the fact remains that Malaga were taken over by a billionaire.

Micah

I voted for Pallegrini merely because he's a genius when it come's to tactics. He's done a brilliant job with Malaga aswell as at Villareal. Malage especially is playing some brilliant fooball this season. But Simeone comes close as well.

Even though he doesn't boast the tactical nuance of his counter part, he's done a brilliant job in turning Athletico into a winning force and made them more than a bunch of 'also rans'.

Took over when they were in crisis and led them to a respectable 6th place and went on to win the Euros.
The form they've been this season; they could have easily topped the league and a comfortable margin at that, if not for our magical start to the season.

He's created a winning mentality, got the very best out of his players and most importantly made them believe. Not many managers could do that.

P.S pep shouldn't be on that list

Last edited:

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
Pellegrini deserves a mention but the fact remains that Malaga were taken over by a billionaire.

A billionaire who turned out to be a fraud, a billionaire that didn't pay wages and a billionaire that didn't make any significant investment in the club...

Pellegrini wins this easily and while I agree Simeone has done well in recent times, he can't match what El Ingeniero has done in the teams he has coached: Villareal, Madrid and Málaga have had some of their best moments in history under Pellegrini...

GiantKiller

I put him on here because tactics wise he is unmatched and due to all the success he had over his tenure. It was easier for him to reach success than it was for the others, but the heights and levels he reached were so high that I had to put him as an option. That being said I don't think he deserves all the votes just because he's one of the only managers on the list known by the members and their favorite by default.

That's all correct but I don't think he meets the criteria of working with very little, as already mentioned.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
That's all correct but I don't think he meets the criteria of working with very little, as already mentioned.

I might have mis-worded it when I posted the poll. Working with little to create success is one of the factors of a great manager that I mentioned, not the actual requirement for this poll. That's why despite his success, I'd say that Pep was not as good of a manager overall as Caparros or Pellegrini.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire

Did people actually read the poll or just voted Pep? Do people actually know anything about any other manager?

Home of Barca Fans