Let's talk about Xavi's replacement (2024)

Xavi replacement v3

• Total voters

serghei

Pep, Klopp if you care to indulge in fantasies for the sake of it. Maybe Arteta at a push. Then it goes downhill from there.

Tuchel is good option, but conflictual. Nagelsmann similar... Neither doing well at Bayern is a problem. Because Barca is gonna pose more of a challenge in almost every way imaginable, as in bigger pressure, inferior team, not as much money to invest, and much superior rival in Madrid domestically.

Then you get to promising, apparently gifted, managers on a good record already, most appealing being De Zerbi.

Once you go even lower down the scale to likes of Alguacil and Michel... the bets start to get increasingly less likely to pan out.

Last edited:

Mrgandalf

Curious member
I remember that an interview with Zlatan by Piers Morgan was broadcasted, in which Zlatan talks about the situation of Ten Hag in Manchester. He says that when you come from a team that doesn’t have a star and they ask you to manage the stars, there is a high chance that you will fail unless you have the personality. One of the things that has happened to us repeatedly in these years is this issue, and if we are really looking for a change of procedure, let us stop fantasizing about De Zerbi and Michel and such options, even at the cost of going to less exciting but more experienced coaches.
Sometimes you may decide to give a chance to coaches and ideas that are not proven but have potential, in stable economic, sporting and even cultural conditions of the team. This is understandable. But our situation is not stable and steady at all. Culturally, we are in a transition from the classic traditions of the club to modern football. Sportingly, we have been away from successful seasons for years and we have a young generation that has the potential to make the most of them, and it is enough to make a wrong decision to lose this opportunity. Economically, we can compete with Rwanda and Afghanistan. Therefore, in this situation, you can only decide on hashish and LSD that the best opportunity is to gamble on someone who has never won any big trophy with any big team.

Birdy

I remember that an interview with Zlatan by Piers Morgan was broadcasted, in which Zlatan talks about the situation of Ten Hag in Manchester. He says that when you come from a team that doesn’t have a star and they ask you to manage the stars, there is a high chance that you will fail unless you have the personality. One of the things that has happened to us repeatedly in these years is this issue, and if we are really looking for a change of procedure, let us stop fantasizing about De Zerbi and Michel and such options, even at the cost of going to less exciting but more experienced coaches.
Sometimes you may decide to give a chance to coaches and ideas that are not proven but have potential, in stable economic, sporting and even cultural conditions of the team. This is understandable. But our situation is not stable and steady at all. Culturally, we are in a transition from the classic traditions of the club to modern football. Sportingly, we have been away from successful seasons for years and we have a young generation that has the potential to make the most of them, and it is enough to make a wrong decision to lose this opportunity. Economically, we can compete with Rwanda and Afghanistan. Therefore, in this situation, you can only decide on hashish and LSD that the best opportunity is to gamble on someone who has never won any big trophy with any big team.

Part of what Zlatan says has some grain of truth, part is also his own excuse-game through self-identification as a star for his poor adaptability under great coaches

But, now Barca hardly has any star. Lewa is old and is leaving soon. Who else is a star?
Frenkie? LOL

El Barcelona

Interesting months ahead. Not sure who's the best option but I hope we get someone with experience. Taking a coach who has a good year with an overachieving mid table team would be another gamble, the pressure here would be on from the start.

Mrgandalf

Curious member
Part of what Zlatan says has some grain of truth, part is also his own excuse-game through self-identification as a star for his poor adaptability under great coaches

But, now Barca hardly has any star. Lewa is old and is leaving soon. Who else is a star?
Frenkie? LOL
In a direct interpretation of Zlatan's remarks, part of it relates to working with stars, and I agree that there aren't many stars left in the team. However, there's another indirect interpretation regarding his quote, and that is working in an environment with first-class standards and expectations. For example, Barcelona can't tolerate even one year without a trophy, and the quality and level of that trophy matter. Even if you win a trophy but the footballing standard you present isn't acceptable, you're still condemned to prove yourself as a coach. The combination of all these factors makes Barcelona's Paradigm different from teams like Real Sociedad, Aston Villa, or Girona.

BJJ

Tuchel has been pretty upfront that he wants to manage us or Real.
For me it's Tuchel ,Flick or Emery. It may only last one or two seasons but I feel either of them would shake things up. Besides Barca are not a club where someone stays beyond three or four seasons. That's the ceiling.
Michel, Real Sociedad manager etc will find Barca a totally different proposition. We need someone who has big club experience and success too. Flick and Tuchel fit the bill.

Don Juan Laporta Estruch

I've never really rated him as a manager, but the more I think about it, El Loco Bielsa might be one of the best suited to our particular situation.

Give him a year, even let him keep his Uruguay gig and share roles, and if he doesn't succeed, go all in for Klopp.

1706605131706.png

Home of Barca Fans