10 - Ansu Fati

clemente

Obviously, something bad happened because he was expected to come back in February, then something again happened because he was expected to come back around this time, he is supposed to be training with the team now, the rumors might not be accurate but it definitely already sounds like Fati will end up as one of those "what if" cases...

serghei

Obviously, something bad happened because he was expected to come back in February, then something again happened because he was expected to come back around this time, he is supposed to be training with the team now, the rumors might not be accurate but it definitely already sounds like Fati will end up as one of those "what if" cases...

No, I don't think it's quite as bad. Even if they remove the meniscus completely, his career will be shorter, and I doubt he can play in his 30s, but he should be fine for up to 10 years I guess. The problem is he will get chronic arthritis in time, way faster than people who still have their meniscus intact will.

Messi983

This season is done anyway for him, what is important is for him to not suffer long term damage from this. If they are talking about removing the whole meniscus because of that supposed infection, it's bad long-term.

He's 18, not 25. And at Barca, you play about 50+ games a season.

Yeah, that was my point.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
What are the cons of not removing it entirely? Prolonging the recovery? So be it, if so. I just don’t understand why some insist on removing it.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
At his age, removal would not be recommended - it carries big risks in longterm, he could end up similar to Umtiti

serghei

What are the cons of not removing it entirely? Prolonging the recovery? So be it, if so. I just don’t understand why some insist on removing it.

I think if it's an infection it can spread and lead to even more worrying complications.

Cutting around and removing only the damaged part could have been a better option at the start. I think, don't know exactly either.

Let's hope infection is not as bad as it sounds. When I hear infection internally I think of pretty bad stuff.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I think if it's an infection it can spread and lead to even more worrying complications.

Cutting around and removing only the damaged part could have been a better option at the start. I think, don't know exactly either.

Let's hope infection is not as bad as it sounds. When I hear infection internally I think of pretty bad stuff.

From what I read, it appears that was what Dr. Cugat did in the initial surgery performed, cutting and removing as little as possible.

Conflicting information everywhere at this point. If Ansu's knee is indeed getting worse, I am sure the club is taking it with maximum care and will be consulting with Ansu, his family and entourage, the best medical experts available (Ansu has reportedly gone to France to visit some doctors) and go through all options, their pros and cons and decide the best course of action with his career in mind.

Let's hope for the best.

Messi983

Yeah, it would be bad enough if his career would be ruined but infection could affect the quality of his life (outside the pitch) which would be bad on a totally another level for a young person like Ansu.

Don't think things are so serious yet (and hopefully will never be) so I'll rather stay positive and hope doctors and his entourage will make the right decision for his longterm health and career.

i_bleed_blaugrana

At his age, removal would not be recommended - it carries big risks in longterm, he could end up similar to Umtiti

Similar yet different to Umititi.

The damage if getting the call wrong here right now could be like Umtiti but I think it is a much different situation that Ansu is facing. When you compare the two and from my understanding of how things played out, when Umtiti got injured, he elected not to have surgery as recommended and went with a longer rehab process so he could be fit in time for the World Cup. And this lack of correction from the initial injury which a surgery could have prevented was a big factor in why Umtiti kept relapsing and his knee degenerated.

That pressure to beat the clock and play in the World Cup was a huge factor for Big Sam, as well as the fact that he was much older than Ansu is. Especially since Ansu is so young, his body can heal and recover stronger from something more intensive like a surgery than Big Sam could at that time of his career. So it is important to keep this in mind and not "catastrophize" the situation.

I am not a medical expert by any means so I am not going to pretend like I know what I am talking about when it comes to what decision needs to be made in terms of removing/keeping his meniscus, especially with limited half-truth that comes out on social media. I just want him back healthy and fully confident again, not 80% fit with him not trusting his body because that will hurt his development.

Its just sad that the injury came when it did, maybe if weren't in such a spiral when that happened, he wouldn't be in this situation.

JamDav1982

Doctors have to pay for incompetence just like in any profession. They just went with a treatment option that backfired and could affect this kid's future and career.

That is not how it works.

Before go into surgery the medical team will present the patient with a % of if the operation will be a success and % on other outcomes from death to the joint never quite being the same etc. It is then up to patient to proceed.

The operation can go exactly as planned and no errors made and still be a 'bad' outcome and not all to plan.

Cant assume it is incompetence and someone has to pay when may not be case.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Keep in mind that Tusquets recently had a interview where he said that alot of information was getting leaked from the club. Chances are there is some truth to these reports which is unfortunate.

Home of Barca Fans