Not open for further replies.

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
mess2016%20(5).jpg

Cool picture, didn't see it before.

Quash

Ricky Martin clone
I'm probably the only one around here that truly hates Zidane. :lol:

A despicable cunt of a man in my eyes. Incredible player who contributed shedloads to his teams, truly truly awesome, but an utter, utter wanker in my eyes. My most despised player when i was younger no matter how much i respect his talent

Also i won't repeat the posts above me because the points have already been made but I also do not buy into this World Cup dependancy for judging greats. If Messi continues as he is, with consistency, Argentina could fail to get through the group stages of every WC for all I care, he'd still be the best. My admiration of Ronaldo (real Ronaldo) was more sculpted by his performances in club football than it ever was for national team, obviously not lessening his importance and the joy it brought me. In the modern competition it's so much more difficult for one player to completely pull his team through at the highest level, not even Ronaldo did that, and nor did Zidane, as has been mentioned.

JCCR_FCB

Barcelona, a Cidade Condal
Di Stefano didn't play at a World Cup. Neither did Marco van Basten possibly the best no.9 ever. Neither did George Best. Nor Eric Cantona. Ryan Giggs didn't either. Messi has already and scored. Even if he doesn't win it in 2010 or 2014 or even 2018, it shouldn't decry from his potential legacy.

I agree with you at 100%, but one little thing: Marco Van Basten played at WC 1990 in Italy. ;)

Cule Angles

Visca el filòsof!
Also i won't repeat the posts above me because the points have already been made but I also do not buy into this World Cup dependancy for judging greats. If Messi continues as he is, with consistency, Argentina could fail to get through the group stages of every WC for all I care, he'd still be the best. My admiration of Ronaldo (real Ronaldo) was more sculpted by his performances in club football than it ever was for national team, obviously not lessening his importance and the joy it brought me. In the modern competition it's so much more difficult for one player to completely pull his team through at the highest level, not even Ronaldo did that, and nor did Zidane, as has been mentioned.

The thing about the world cup is that it's a punctuation mark in history, a world cup win lasts forever and creates legends. Whilst there are exceptions to the rule that great players make their mark at world cups (Van Basten, Best et al) generally players from world cup winning nations are expected to perform if they aspire to be placed on the same mantle as the likes of the Peles, Maradonas, Cruyffs and Zidanes of this world and Messi as an Argentinian has that obligation if he's to be remembered amongst those names. Luckily for Leo he has three world cups before he's 30 so he'll have an ample opportunity to produce the goods.

On the subject of Zizou, I had the privilege of watching him twice as a player and he was majestic, head and shoulders above his midfield contemporaries and as the outstanding player of his generation utterly deserving of being mentioned in the same breath as the other greats. You can't compare across generations so you just have to accept that Zizou gets the nod as the best of his and deserves to be placed on the first tier of football luminaries.

Quash

Ricky Martin clone
I never argued otherwise, just made the point I didn't and still don't particularly like the guy. I give him full credit for his ridiculous class and have absolutely no argument with him being up there

M

MagicianMessi

is nyone have the ballon d'or award giving function 2009 video then pls post it

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
A player has to back what he does in a WC with his club and/or viceversa... See Miroslav Klose, they guy has a lot of goals on WC but they guy is an average player that won't be remembered in a worldwide scale...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans