10 - Lionel Messi - v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchell1978

Why would he not train well when he knows he has the biggest and most personally cherished tournament of his life coming up soon?

i think because he's scared of re-injuring himself with that "biggest" tournament etc coming up, with those recurring injuries he might have lost confidence in his ability to push his own body

Devils

Think that's at the start of the game man though it will be awesome. Like Fabs did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oixi6gH7pSQ

Ah damn. :(

They should change it just for the sake of Messi and Puyi.

Carles Puyol and the Brazilian supermodel Gisele Bündchen will together hand over the World Cup Trophy before this Sunday’s Final between Germany and Argentina.

He'll have few words with Messi before the match. This is good :)

Maybe teach him how to do this.

6a00e5519621038833013485462bee970c-800wi

:tata1:

raskolnikov

i think because he's scared of re-injuring himself with that "biggest" tournament etc coming up, with those recurring injuries he might have lost confidence in his ability to push his own body

If anything we can now conclude that all of us saying he was scared of re-injuring himself were wrong. It could have played a part in his physical decline though.
He already started walking more when Pep left, maybe he needs a coach that pushes him and is involved more rather that more relax types like Tito or Tata. We will see if Lucho is up for it.
Luckily it seems fixable though right? his football ability is still second to none and with great stamina/being fit he will be back to his old level next season, just needs a conditioning program to get back in shape. We just need them (Barca/Messi to admit the problem, not just ohh Messi is the goat just lead his team to the final!!,we are lucky to have him etc!.)

Stric

Messi hasn't been at his finest in the last two games (which is understandable since he was heavily marked), but make no mistake, he's the reason why Argentina has made it to the finals. Messi almost single-handedly brought them there. Absolute GOAT. Who would have thought Argentina would make it to the final! Awesome.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Carles Puyol and the Brazilian supermodel Gisele Bündchen will together hand over the World Cup Trophy before this Sunday’s Final between Germany and Argentina.

He'll have few words with Messi before the match. This is good :-)

Caveman advice is all Messi needs now! :worthy::worthy::worthy:

Pepe Silvia

Copy/paste my thoughts from the match thread:

I'm on the fence now. I always wanted Messi to win WC to seal his legacy as the GOAT and mainly to see him invigorated for next season at Barca, but seeing him walking around in a Semi-final when Argentina were desperate for a goal really has me thinking that Messi is going to remain in this state of lethargy for the rest of his career and that walking is something we need to get used to. It's more permanent rather than a temporary 'saving himself for wc thing'.

I still want Messi to win it, but if Argentina come out playing the same brand of boring football they've been for majority of the tournament, I won't feel bad if Germany stomp them. Germany players have been brilliant at club level and for country and I'd like to see players like Bastian, Lahm, Muller, Klose, Neuer, etc lift the trophy because they deserve it, too. Similar to the way Spain deserved to win with its Barca players before.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Copy/paste my thoughts from the match thread:

I'm on the fence now. I always wanted Messi to win WC to seal his legacy as the GOAT and mainly to see him invigorated for next season at Barca, but seeing him walking around in a Semi-final when Argentina were desperate for a goal really has me thinking that Messi is going to remain in this state of lethargy for the rest of his career and that walking is something we need to get used to. It's more permanent rather than a temporary 'saving himself for wc thing'.

I still want Messi to win it, but if Argentina come out playing the same brand of boring football they've been for majority of the tournament, I won't feel bad if Germany stomp them. Germany players have been brilliant at club level and for country and I'd like to see players like Bastian, Lahm, Muller, Klose, Neuer, etc lift the trophy because they deserve it, too. Similar to the way Spain deserved to win with its Barca players before.

Now copy/pasting blasphemy too I see!

Messidona

I am very happy for Messi. He has finally reached the grandiest stage of them all, and I hope he is able to lift the trophy to finally cement his place in history (not that he hasn't already).

Some of you are being too quick to judge him. Messi is anything but unmotivated and I am sure deep down he wants to give it his all. His current form problem, in my opinion, is two fold:

1. He is marked extremely well. As soon as he receives the ball 2 men are on him like hungry dogs. Every team knows Messi doesn't need space to produce magic, so marking is usually very tight and aggressive. Off the ball, there is an opposing player always looming in his shadow. In order to rid himself of this "shadow" he must move more, but he doesn't, or he can't (I'll get to this in a bit). This struggle to rid himself of his marker is both a mental and a physical one. Messi, like all great players, needs constant touches on the ball since the get go. When this doesn't happen, like against the Dutch, frustration builds and he begins to lose motivation, albeit subconsciously.

2. Messi`s other problem is his conditioning. You cannot blame the man for not trying!!! Every time the camera zoomed in on him he looked spent and exhausted beyond belief. Many of you might be wondering why Messi is the only one being affected by lack of fitness if he's training just like everyone else? I think it has to do with Barcelona`s playing style. For years Barcelona have relied on exquisite technique and brilliant skill to win matches. Take a close look at some of their matches, specifically after the Guardiola era, they played them at walking, yes walking, pace. There was very little exertion from players, except a select few. This has slowly taken a toll on not only Messi, but the whole of FC Barcelona, evidenced by Spain's lackluster performances at the World Cup. However, this lack of conditioning has affected Messi even more, because he was out with an injury for a few months. Luckily, I have heard Lucho is big on conditioning and fitness, so that's a major plus towards getting us closer to seeing a more lively Messi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans