10 - Lionel Messi - v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rk61

The Gamper game against Juventus was after he already passed through Barcelona youth ranks. Messi became the best player ever at Barcelona. Barca developed him. It is not like he was the best player ever when he was a kid and he had growth hormone deficiency is it?

That is what people don't get. He became the best player ever, arguably, also because the set-up in which he was developed was the right one. Without that setup, and that platform that was and still is Barcelona and La Masia, nobody knows what would've happened. And yes, there's a possibility that even a talent like Messi would've been lost. Hell, it's possible that his health problems would've ended his career at an early age. There are talents like Messi in the world that never make it because the elements do not line-up like they did with Messi. Barcelona is responsible for making sure they did line-up the right way.

People trying to imply Messi was destined to become the best ever and we were just lucky he chose us, or that we are nothing without Messi are funny. But I get it, many are Messi fans first and Barca fans second, so it's understandable to a point.

Believe it or not, talent can get lost if some things in their life don't fall into place the right way and at the right time.

Barcelona surely helped him and surely there are certain scenarios where he wouldn´t become the player he is today. But all in all, he was always destined to be the best. There are many clubs where he could go on to be the player he later became. He was already a phenomenon at 13 when he arrived, and he always showed it.

Neymar started his career at Santos and still did go on to develop as a player. R9 started his European career at PSV, but the talent to become the great player he was, was always there and that´s what I´m trying to say. Sure, injuries and some other things could have made things more difficult but the truth is that at nearly every other club he would have joined he would have dominated and that club would have many trophies more today and Barcelona a lot less.

His character and talent were always there and besides injuries and luck, these are the most important traits a player has to have. The perfect set-up that Barca is ( on this I agree with you) won´t develop any other player like Lionel Messi.

serghei

Sure, injuries and some other things could have made things more difficult but the truth is that at nearly every other club he would have joined he would have dominated and that club would have many trophies more today and Barcelona a lot less.

Sure, he could have made it big at another top team, not as big as at Barcelona anyway, but absolute world class for sure. But as far as I know, when we got Messi from Argentina, european teams weren't lining up to sign him, probably because he had that problem with the growth hormone, and it wasn't a sure thing he would've recovered from it. In that sense, I personally wouldn't bet on him making it at some other team, because from what I know, other teams weren't interested in signing Messi when we made our move with him.

Of course it's speculation. Thanks for clearing that part out ;)

Everything about Messi screams that he would've made it anywhere.

Yea, everything about Messi "screams" he would've made it anywhere. But it didn't "screamed" when we took in La Masia a boy with health problems. And that's the issue. Messi's level now is not an indicator of what would've happened if we didn't get him when he was 14 and didn't pay for his treatment.

Last edited:
Sure, he could have made it big at another top team, not as big as at Barcelona anyway

Lol. So maybe, just maybe, Messi could have made it at a lesser club. And forget about a comparable club. Priceless. :lol:

Yea, everything about Messi "screams" he would've made it anywhere. But it didn't "screamed" when we took in La Masia a boy with health problems. And that's the issue. Messi's level now is not an indicator of what would've happened if we didn't get him when he was 14 and didn't pay for his treatment.

Another hollow statement. What is hindsight good for right ? Messi's unique style was there as a 6 year old. Barca protected him well but they knew just how special he was as soon as he started playing as a teenager.

No, let's just assume the whole thing would've gone tits up if one variable changed.

Last edited:

serghei

Another hollow statement. What is hindsight good for right ? Messi's unique style was there as a 6 year old. Barca protected him well but they knew just how special he was as soon as he started playing as a teenager.

Where did I say anything about his style?

Again, direct me to some articles about how United, Bayern, Real, Ajax, or some other european teams were interested in Messi when Barcelona signed him, and that Barcelona won his signature in front of all these teams who wanted him badly.

All I saw on the internet is some rumors about how teams were wowed by Messi after Barcelona signed him and developed him in our youth ranks.

Where did I say anything about his style?

Nowhere as it doesn't suit your arguments ? I didn't imply you said something.

Again, direct me to some articles about how United, Bayern, Real, Ajax, or some other european teams were interested in Messi when Barcelona signed him, and that Barcelona won his signature in front of all these teams who wanted him badly.

Correct. They were not interested.

Also, they didn't know he existed.

Messi has constantly been the best player in his age group, anywhere. He was primed for success. That you can google...

serghei

Messi has constantly been the best player in his age group, anywhere. He was primed for success. That you can google...

If he was destined for success in his age group anywhere, then why didn't every top team in europe want to sign him from Argentina? Thing is Barcelona discovered him.

It's our scouters that struck gold, and saw real talent in Messi, a talent that was worth the investment to get him healthy and playing football in Barcelona, and we as a club should get a lot of credit for it. This is not a player everybody wanted to sign then. The fact that he turned out to be in contention for the best player to ever played the game, and we got him for nothing, when few if any european teams were connected to him is credit for us as a club and our La Masia. Huge credit actually.

I remember when Aguero talked about meeting Messi. He didn't know who he was, but heard people were talking about a player from Barcelona and, he realised that player was Messi. Barcelona discovered Messi, and saying he would've made it anywhere is taking the credit away from the guys who estimated his potential and decided he was worth the effort. Part luck, part knowledge, part great scouting, it's FC Barcelona who discovered Messi, a genius find.

Last edited:
If he was destined for success in his age group anywhere, then why didn't every top team in europe want to sign him from Argentina? Thing is Barcelona discovered him.

It's our scouters that struck gold, and saw real talent in Messi, a talent that was worth the investment to get him healthy and playing football in Barcelona, and we as a club should get a lot of credit for it. This is not a player everybody wanted to sign then. The fact that he turned out to be in contention for the best player to ever played the game, and we got him for nothing, when few if any european teams were connected to him is credit for us.

Good job spinning away from that dumb question. Big clubs didn't come knocking at the door. They had no idea the little dude even existed. That answered your question.

Now you're arguing that the club deserves credit in signing him ?Yea, it does.

serghei

Good job spinning away from that dumb question. Big clubs didn't come knocking at the door. They had no idea the little dude even existed. That answered your question.

OK. So if they had no idea that the dude even existed, then don't you think maybe he wouldn't have made it if Barcelona didn't get him?

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Yep.

Argentina are minnows without him. Supposed golden generation with Di Maria, Aguero, Higuain more like the crap generation.

SahanBarca

The Centre for Investigations into the History and Statistics of Spanish Football have compiled their list of greatest players in the 85-year history of LaLiga.
Top 5 best players in La Liga history are:
Raúl Gonzalez
César Rodriguez
Telmo Zarra
Lionel Messi
Enrique Castro

Cristiano (23rd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans