14 - Javier Mascherano

Chainsaw

Killahead
Funny how people don't see that Ronaldo falling on Mascherano's foot is not a foul! That was a 100% foul, even if Masche milked it alittle bit more.

Seamus

Funny how people don't see that Ronaldo falling on Mascherano's foot is not a foul! That was a 100% foul, even if Masche milked it alittle bit more.

Yes it was a foul but he made the most of it, you could see the foul and then he throws the leg out just in case. It was unneccessary

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member

Yeah, but Pique fouled Ronaldo before that and tbh. the ref should have let the play.
Still, considering he left Carvalho, Diarra and Adebayor in the match it sorta evens out.

He was pretty lucky for that scene. Considering his pretty good performance at the other times in the match, he did a great job!

I think he becomes pretty much handy as a CB and probably, we're gonna see him more often there from now on, like in final or something.

By the way, if I were the ref, I wouldn't whistled for Masch's dive, 'm glad he did though.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Yeah, but Pique fouled Ronaldo before that and tbh. the ref should have let the play.
Still, considering he left Carvalho, Diarra and Adebayor in the match it sorta evens out.

If you look at the scene again you see that Mascherano couldn't even see that Ronaldo is falling from behind. He was running to the ball when Ronaldo was falling and he was close enough to the ball to at worst tackle it. He didn't has 6th sense to see that a player is falling on his leg from behind and instead think about diving when he could tackle the ball. Considering the players pace at the moment of clash it's a 100% foul on Mascherano. If there was a foul on Ronaldo before the refree had to blow for a foul in Real's favor. If There was no foul on Ronaldo then there was a foul on Mascherano. The refree shouldn't have continued the play and he rightly didn't!

raedkuwait

If you look at the scene again you see that Mascherano couldn't even see that Ronaldo is falling from behind. He was running to the ball when Ronaldo was falling and he was close enough to the ball to at worst tackle it. He didn't has 6th sense to see that a player is falling on his leg from behind and instead think about diving when he could tackle the ball. Considering the players pace at the moment of clash it's a 100% foul on Mascherano. If there was a foul on Ronaldo before the refree had to blow for a foul in Real's favor. If There was no foul on Ronaldo then there was a foul on Mascherano. The refree shouldn't have continued the play and he rightly didn't!
Totally agree with u, so if there was a ref mistake in there, it would have been not giving a foul on Ronaldo, and thats about it.

Chainsaw

Killahead
I watched the scene more than 20 times from different angles. It was definitely a foul. If anyone has the full match, check out the minute 51: 30 where there shows a slow motion of the scene from the best possible angle. You will see that Mascherano was definitely brought down from behind. With the pace he was following the ball he could easily tackle it if he wasn't going down.

Even through the real time game I saw he was brought down by Ronaldo from behind. There is absolutely no doubt about that.

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
I watched the scene more than 20 times from different angles. It was definitely a foul. If anyone has the full match, check out the minute 51: 30 where there shows a slow motion of the scene from the best possible angle. You will see that Mascherano was definitely brought down from behind. With the pace he was following the ball he could easily tackle it if he wasn't going down.

Even through the real time game I saw he was brought down by Ronaldo from behind. There is absolutely no doubt about that.

Yes, I guess you're actually right on that one. Initially it seemed as a blatant dive, but when looking at it in more detail you could actually see that with the velocity he came after the ball he simply could have not stayed on his feet especially with Ronaldo catching his leg from the behind.

Standing corrected.

ivan22

I need some explanation on this 'key scene' from yesterday!

To me it looked like pique fouled ronaldo, so ronaldo fell down. But because the Ball was on the way to higuain the ref decided to play advantage (is this correct?) Masch tried to get the ball before higuain, but because of ronaldo falling down and touching masch legs with his shoulders, masch fell down, too. That is a foul of course - we all know that it doesnt matter if it wasnt ronaldos intention - a foul is a foul. Masch made it look 'a bit' theatralic, but thats not relevant.

Whats not clear for me: Could the ref called a foul on ronaldo afterwards? What does the rules say? Did the ref play advantage for real? What happens if you foul someone after you got the advantage?

In my opinion this is definately a foul, I cant see why it isnt a foul. I just want to get this crystal clear, so I can argue with my bloody madrista friend whos playing in my team :D

Chainsaw

Killahead
I need some explanation on this 'key scene' from yesterday!

To me it looked like pique fouled ronaldo, so ronaldo fell down. But because the Ball was on the way to higuain the ref decided to play advantage (is this correct?) Masch tried to get the ball before higuain, but because of ronaldo falling down and touching masch legs with his shoulders, masch fell down, too. That is a foul of course - we all know that it doesnt matter if it wasnt ronaldos intention - a foul is a foul. Masch made it look 'a bit' theatralic, but thats not relevant.

Whats not clear for me: Could the ref called a foul on ronaldo afterwards? What does the rules say? Did the ref play advantage for real? What happens if you foul someone after you got the advantage?

In my opinion this is definately a foul, I cant see why it isnt a foul. I just want to get this crystal clear, so I can argue with my bloody madrista friend whos playing in my team :D

Mascherano's leg was kinda locked between the falling Ronaldo's back and the pitch. You know that when you're running with the speed that Masche was running and the force that Ronaldo was falling you have 1% of chance to stay on your feet when you get hit from behind like that. Plus Mascherano must be out of his mind to dive at that moment and let the opponent's striker get the ball rather than tackle the ball that is close to his feet.

Regarding whether it was a foul on Ronaldo or not, to me it seemed a 50-50 foul. Refree could take it, or not take it. To me it looks that Ronaldo rathered tried to get a foul from Pique than Pique commit a foul on him. You know, getting on Pique's way to take a foul. In any way I don't see anything that favors Real in this scene and whether if there is it's only the foul on Ronaldo, cause Mascherano was definitely brought down by Ronaldo in that scene.

ivan22

Mascherano's leg was kinda locked between the falling Ronaldo's back and the pitch. You know that when you're running with the speed that Masche was running and the force that Ronaldo was falling you have 1% of chance to stay on your feet when you get hit from behind like that. Plus Mascherano must be out of his mind to dive at that moment and let the opponent's striker get the ball rather than tackle the ball that is close to his feet.

Regarding whether it was a foul on Ronaldo or not, to me it seemed a 50-50 foul. Refree could take it, or not take it. To me it looks that Ronaldo rathered tried to get a foul from Pique than Pique commit a foul on him. You know, getting on Pique's way to take a foul. In any way I don't see anything that favors Real in this scene and whether if there is it's only the foul on Ronaldo, cause Mascherano was definitely brought down by Ronaldo in that scene.

no question, thats absolutely the case. I never thought about masch diving in this kind of situation, he clearly touched him and you cant do anything but falling down if you run at this speed. but I dont understand why the ref didnt take the foul on ronaldo. if the ref decided to play advantage I'd understand it (if you've got advantage but then commit a foul your advantage is over). It's a realy wierd situation, because it's a 100% foul on mascherano, but also a foul on ronaldo.

Chainsaw

Killahead
no question, thats absolutely the case. I never thought about masch diving in this kind of situation, he clearly touched him and you cant do anything but falling down if you run at this speed. but I dont understand why the ref didnt take the foul on ronaldo. if the ref decided to play advantage I'd understand it (if you've got advantage but then commit a foul your advantage is over). It's a realy wierd situation, because it's a 100% foul on mascherano, but also a foul on ronaldo.

Refree simply didn't see a foul on Ronaldo in that scene. That's for sure. He was very close to the scene and if you watch it yourself you will see that Ronaldo rathered tried to get a foul from Pique than Pique foul on him. I think that's what refree saw too.

Home of Barca Fans