17 - Jeison Murillo

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Huh? Nonsense. Veterans are a complete waste of everyone's time. They won't improve, they won't grow attached to the club, they won't compete with younger more physical players, they know they're basically arriving for a 6 month risk-free chill at a big club. Younger guys who come in for short term nearly always put in 110%, particularly when there is an option to buy. If Murillo comes in with a chip on his shoulder to prove every other club was using him wrong or was wrong about him, then you basically found yourself a rotation player for years to come.

Good signing this. After an avalanche of ridiculous names mentioned in this thread this is the kind of player Barca should be taking chances on.

Utter nonsense to spin a 5th choice from a club in the bottom half of the table into a long-term solution much less credible depth/backup. A legitimate rotation defender is needed with Umtiti a question mark and Vermaelen unreliable in terms of fitness

A backup to Yerry Mina is deemed a good signing, you still lack credibility in assessing talent Wolfe

Barcilliant

He's good but many good players have come here and failed. Even great ones.

Getting a class cb in January is close to impossible. Noone would sell.

This is a better deal then Ivanovic or Skrtel.

Andresito

Staff member
Did you watch his game against Liverpool? You know...the current leaders of the PL? Surely that’s a “serious opponent”. He was brilliant against them. How about Chelsea, another “serious opponent”. Great game against them too. Or do you only shit on him when it suits your narrative? Yeah that’s probably it.

André Gomes played great against Real Madrid when he was at Valencia. A player like Kondogbia did the same last season.

Doesn't mean they're right for the top teams, and there are multiple reasons for that:
1. They don't fit the tactical system
2. They are good but not good enough for a club like Barca
3. Too bad mentality to handle the pressure

Messigician

Did you watch his game against Liverpool? You know...the current leaders of the PL? Surely that’s a “serious opponent”. He was brilliant against them. How about Chelsea, another “serious opponent”. Great game against them too. Or do you only shit on him when it suits your narrative? Yeah that’s probably it.

And then had a dreadful performance against city lmao

El Gato

Villarato!
Utter nonsense to spin a 5th choice from a club in the bottom half of the table into a long-term solution much less credible depth/backup. A legitimate rotation defender is needed with Umtiti a question mark and Vermaelen unreliable in terms of fitness

A backup to Yerry Mina is deemed a good signing, you still lack credibility in assessing talent Wolfe

Yea, legit backup is needed. That is why you’re getting a young guy with some experience in upper tier football to see how he works out in 6 months and maybe you won’t need to scour the earth further. But given you have 2 CBs over 30 even that is not a assured. And you want to add another(!).. Suggesting a 30-35 year old would be more useful for this long term purpose is ludicrous.
And yes Yerri Mina was good, but he came at a wrong time to a wrong dressing room.

Andresito

Staff member
Andre Gomes was given two seasons to prove himself. Mina was given 5 games. Not fair, is it? My point was that we should have stuck with him for a bit longer if we were going to end up getting another CB

The current situation is extraordinary. You can't prepare for everything. On paper, our four centre backs look great.

We got a great offer for Mina that was too hard to say no to.
We sold a relatively unproven player and replaced him with a younger, Liga proven centre back in Lenglet.

Now you could say we should have kept him instead of Vermaelen. But it's not worth to keep a 30M player considering how much a 4th centre back plays in a normal season.
In hindsight it would've been great, but like I said you can't prepare for everything.

Messi983

The current situation is extraordinary. You can't prepare for everything. On paper, our four centre backs look great.

We got a great offer for Mina that was too hard to say no to.
We sold a relatively unproven player and replaced him with a younger, Liga proven centre back in Lenglet.

Now you could say we should have kept him instead of Vermaelen. But it's not worth to keep a 30M player considering how much a 4th centre back plays in a normal season.
In hindsight it would've been great, but like I said you can't prepare for everything.

Agreed.

I would just add that using a non-EU spot on a 4th CB is not the best use of resources though using it on Malcom so far doesn't seem to be much better either.

I like Yerry but selling him was the best decision for both the club and player personally.

Joan

I actually don't need anything to know that Mina is a terrible fit. It's clear as day. From day one.

God Serena

It's almost 2019 and you're still moaning about Mina :lol:

The guy was a terrible fit from day one. All the excuses made for him being shit game after game became weaker and weaker, until he was sold. Lenglet came in and was an instant upgrade in every way outside of being an absolute moron with no look passes and idiotic dances. Keeping him and bringing in Lenglet would have caused infinite amounts of bitching about "Blocking a young player" and the cries to loan or sell him would have been deafening. The guy was a total dud and his only contribution to the team was single handedly costing us our undefeated season.

"But Everton!" You might say. "He's proving we made a mistake!" You may claim. But here's the thing...

Some players fit in better with small clubs. Because that's what Mina is... a small club player.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
Is the transfer window open already? Or he just came here to train but cannot be registered in games?

he's a Barca player now, just can't play until he's registered in the next transfer window. Its not illegal to sign a player during the season, but you can only register players in the transfer windows of the respective leagues baring some special cases like a long term injury like the one we had in Tata's season with Valdes, we could have signed a replacement. Although I'm not sure if this applies to free agents or transfer between clubs for the VV case

Messigician

he's a Barca player now, just can't play until he's registered in the next transfer window. Its not illegal to sign a player during the season, but you can only register players in the transfer windows of the respective leagues baring some special cases like a long term injury like the one we had in Tata's season with Valdes, we could have signed a replacement. Although I'm not sure if this applies to free agents or transfer between clubs for the VV case

No we could only have signed a free agent. The club made the right move as no one on the market was available at the time. However not replacing an ancient backup keeper earlier is what screwed us

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
No we could only have signed a free agent. The club made the right move as no one on the market was available at the time. However not replacing an ancient backup keeper earlier is what screwed us

yeah I remembered reading the free agent thing but my recall was sketchy. I think there was a way to bypass the free agent via buyout clause to make the player a free agent

Home of Barca Fans