5 - Carles Puyol

F

Flavia

Puyol equals Migueli's record of 549 official matches for FC Barcelona

Anna Segura

03/28/2012 22:38

The defender has played the second most games for FC Barcelona, only Xavi has played more (617)

Migueli_puyol.v1332958024.jpg

Puyol and Migueli, in 2003, during an interview with REVISTA BARÇA. PHOTO: arxiu FCB.

Second only to Xavi

Puyol, who is one match away from beating Migueli, is second only to Xavi Hernández, who came to the first team a year before the captain and had played in 617 official Barça matches.

The competition that Puyol has played in the most for Barça is the Liga with 367, followed by the Champions League, 112. In the Cup, the defender has played in 47 matches, 9 in the UEFA Cup, 6 in the Spanish Super Cup, 2 in the European Super Cup and 6 in the Club World Cup.

18 titles in his trophy cabinet

Puyol lifted his first title in the 2004-05 season, it was the Liga won in Levante. Since then the captain has claimed 17 titles (4 Ligas, 3 Champions Leagues, 1 King’s Cup, 2 European Super Cups, 5 Spanish Super Cups and 2 Club World Cups). Surely Barça fans remembers each one fondly, but the on that most likely captivated the hearts of culé’s worldwide was when he told Éric Abidal, who underwent liver surgery, to lift the Champions League in Wembley.

12 goals for Barça

Carles Puyol’s natural habitat on the pitch is playing defence, leading his teammates from the back. However, throughout his career at FC Barcelona he has scored 12 goals (8 in the Liga, 2 in the King’s Cup and 2 in the Champions League). One of his most memorable goals was scored at the Bernabéu during the historic 6-2 rout. He celebrated by kissing his captain armband.

The captain Carles Puyol played his 549th game in the Barça strip tonight and he draws level with the legendary Barça players Miguel Barnardo Bianquetti as the player with the second most games for FC Barcelona. The Azulgrana defender made his debut on October 2nd 1999 when Van Gaal included him in the squad against Valladolid. 12 years and 5 months later, he’s equalled the defender ‘Trazan’ Migueli that played for Barça from 1973 through 1989.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
but the one that most likely captivated the hearts of culé’s worldwide was when he told Éric Abidal, who underwent liver surgery, to lift the Champions League in Wembley.
as touching as it was, King Abi lifting the trophy after all he's been through last season... Puyi offering that was a sweet gesture too. He would have been the only Captain, apart from Maldini of course, to have lifted the CL trophy thrice :worthy:

And congrats Captain Fantastic... for the record :beer2:

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Shit Goal.shit is Shit:facepalm:

When a reporter asks Puyi if it was penalty, Puyi replies "yeah, I felt a shirt pull and the replay confirmed it too. But then refereeing job is very hard and we are not looking for excuses."

How the hell is that Puyi being critical about the referee!?

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
I only got to watch the 2nd half, but there were one or two plays where he ran his ass off to get in to position to close out semi-chances for Milan. I swear I thought both times Milan were going to get a shot on target and he runs back to save the day. this guy is all heart. i hope he never retires.

joffess

I only got to watch the 2nd half, but there were one or two plays where he ran his ass off to get in to position to close out semi-chances for Milan. I swear I thought both times Milan were going to get a shot on target and he runs back to save the day. this guy is all heart. i hope he never retires.

This, every time I see him do something like that I can't help but to smile. He is all heart, a true symbol... Like Batman, except with a lot of hair and he could kick Batman's ass any time.

abual3bed1

Puyol got the reverse time machine in football, getting better with every year after passing your 30's. such a beast.

only pace can bother him

X

xaviniesta

chill out puyi, it's just a training :pep: (1:54)

dat grass :worthy: could sleep like a baby there.

I was fortunate enught to be at the game against Real where Ibrahimovic scored the winner but Puyol was just incredible that night. His last ditch tackles and leaderships were amazing, plus his displays in either full back position are always top quality.

BarcaOG

Banned
I was fortunate enught to be at the game against Real where Ibrahimovic scored the winner but Puyol was just incredible that night. His last ditch tackles and leaderships were amazing, plus his displays in either full back position are always top quality.

a lucky man, you.

i wish i could see puyi live :worthy:

Home of Barca Fans