6 - Gavi

Andresito

Staff member
Obviously.

Both barely played, no? Gavi is close to being a starter, heck, he played more than Fede Valverde, Grealish :)lol:) and co. Gavi did the hardest part, establishing himself. The others did not (yet).

They've played more than Gavi would at Liverpool imo.

A lot easier to grab a spot at a dysfunctional Barca (like it has been these past few years) compared to Liverpool in their prime.

But yeah, I'm not worried at all. This whole discussion was sparked by the fake news Zidane82 posted.

FinBarcelonafan

Pretty much every team has a couple of "top young midfielders" coming through. But it's not very interesting as long as they are not established.

It's like us saying we can sell Gavi, because Pablo Torre is coming up. As far as I am concerned as long as talents haven't shown to perform in the first team they are generic and replaceable. I have seen too many identical looking, sublimely technical midfield talents that didn't make it.

Gavi is different gravy.

Well said.

FinBarcelonafan

A lot easier to grab a spot at a dysfunctional Barca (like it has been these past few years) compared to Liverpool in their prime.

But yeah, I'm not worried at all. This whole discussion was sparked by the fake news Zidane82 posted.

I never rated Liverpool's midfield really. Their weakest part.

mc_lovin

That's a bit disrespectful. We don't play him out of pity or lack of options, he earned every minute.

Edit: He starts over Frenkie today. Not to mention his standing for Spain. He's a different galaxy to Elliott and Jones for now.

Last edited:

Andresito

Staff member
That's a bit disrespectful. We don't play him out of pity or lack of options, he earned every minute.

Edit: He starts over Frenkie today. Not to mention his standing for Spain. He's a different galaxy to Elliott and Jones for now.

Agree he fully deserves his status. But he wouldn't be where he is had he been in Liverpool's ranks. But he's also been lucky, which is a part of it usually, with Ilaix moving and Pedri being injured. He's taken his chances for sure. There's a lot more room to play youngsters at Barca than at Liverpool. It's a bit like Thiago when he came through, there just wasnt enough playing time for him to get, especially with Cesc being ahead of him as the heir to Xavi. A position that both Jones and Elliott would have at Liverpool.

Frenkie been dealing with a knock. And Gavi's great cameo last game deserves a start now.

mc_lovin

I agree that circumstances certainly matter, but I have a hard time to understand why Elliott and Jones would be above him in the pecking order.

For context I think Gavi looks better at 16/17 than Pedri at the same age, which is absolutely incredible.

Andresito

Staff member
I agree that circumstances certainly matter, but I have a hard time to understand why Elliott and Jones would be above him in the pecking order.

For context I think Gavi looks better at 16/17 than Pedri at the same age, which is absolutely incredible.

Objectively I rate Gavi higher. But own products are always rated higher, just the way it works. Liverpool fans probably rate Elliott higher than Gavi, idk.

ajnotkeith

You can't rely on a 17 year old as a permanent starter. He is great for his age but he's not top quality yet of course, he lacks a lot of maturity which you get as you age.

ajnotkeith

Alemany: "The renewals of Gavi and Demb?l? depend on our economic situation."

So Gavi is really prepared to leave over money huh? I wonder what we are offering him, it must be pretty low.

Sorin

Alemany: "The renewals of Gavi and Demb?l? depend on our economic situation."

So Gavi is really prepared to leave over money huh? I wonder what we are offering him, it must be pretty low.

Watching him tonight and in the first leg what do you think is "pretty low" for him?

ajnotkeith

Watching him tonight and in the first leg what do you think is "pretty low" for him?

I am the first person to say that Gavi needs to grow a lot as a player and shouldn't be relied on as a starter, as of course he is 17. Some people on this forum said he is a top3 midfielder in the world, lol.

But I have also said that if a player has many offers significantly better in salary terms, and from top clubs too, that we can't expect them to accept ours. We have to make a competitive offer.

A long-term contract (5 or 6 years) of 3m net would be fair. Even though it is a lot to pay a 17 year old, you lock him down and are in a strong position to collect a big transfer fee if he wants to leave again in the future. Also, he is still very good despite his age and is going to be a key rotation piece over the next seasons.

However, it is worrying that he is focusing on money at such an early stage in his career considering what opportunities he gets here. Usually these players don't reach their full potential as they are letting money get in the way of development.

Home of Barca Fans