8 - Pedri

vegitot

Only folk mentioning Xavi are those making up something to argue against.

No one is claiming Pedri is next Xavi or a similar player but get usual BBZ essays to argue against point no one is making.

Gone from signings like Pedri are a failure to comparing him to Xavi. Goal posts moves as always.

Actually this is a progression. From being a failure from beginning to being compared to Xavi.

BBZ8800

Gone from signings like Pedri are a failure to comparing him to Xavi. Goal posts moves as always.

I am not saying that Pedri is a failure.
I am just saying that imo he is way overrated here.
And how I don't see how we will dominate the world with his type of a midfielder since I can put him on any midfield position due to his skills.

Considering the current state of Barca, Pedri is a very nice player to have.
If our goal to be top3 in Spain and win La Liga here and there, once in 3-4 years, then Pedri could be a star midfielder for us.
But if we are aiming for "a good old Barca", a Barca which will win 5 out of 10 La Ligas and fight for a CL, then I just don't see it (in this moment) working out with Pedri as a CM.
Unless if we buy 2 Haalands for attack who will solve every problem, like prime Messi in Pep's team.

So, what are we exactly expecting?
3rd placed Barca?
Barca fighting for a title here and there?
Barca being a favorite to win a title?
Barca among top 3-4 clubs in a CL?

JamDav1982

I am not saying that Pedri is a failure.
I am just saying that imo he is way overrated here.
And how I don't see how we will dominate the world with his type of a midfielder since I can put him on any midfield position due to his skills.

Considering the current state of Barca, Pedri is a very nice player to have.
If our goal to be top3 in Spain and win La Liga here and there, once in 3-4 years, then Pedri could be a star midfielder for us.
But if we are aiming for "a good old Barca", a Barca which will win 5 out of 10 La Ligas and fight for a CL, then I just don't see it (in this moment) working out with Pedri as a CM.
Unless if we buy 2 Haalands for attack who will solve every problem, like prime Messi in Pep's team.

So, what are we exactly expecting?
3rd placed Barca?
Barca fighting for a title here and there?
Barca being a favorite to win a title?
Barca among top 3-4 clubs in a CL?

Over rated by who and by those making which claims?

Your claim that Pedri could never play for a CL contending team seems about most extreme.

No one is claiming he is the next Xavi or even same type of player. You are picking things to argue against that no one is saying.

Last edited:

Horatio

You're welcome
BBZ had a taste for W's after getting Arthur right. Now he is attributing the false narrative to Pedri that he is a player who gets overrated and tell people he was right once he fails in an attempt to relive the times of old and earn a second W, even though this time nobody is overrating Pedri.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

If we had an 18 years old Xavi in the club now BBZ would hate his guts. That's the sad part.

I have actaully watched young Xavi and for your surprise, these were my favorite players in certain eras:
1999/2000/2001/2002:
Favorite player: Rivaldo, because he was the best player in the world
2nd choice: Lucho, because he was a captain and a fighter
3rd choice: young Xavi. I don't know why, but I liked Xavi's passing and IQ from the day 1 when I first saw him. The only night ever in his whole career when I was pissed at Xavi was in 2005 at Stamford Bridge 2:4 vs Mou's Chelsea. But on that night, I hated the whole Barca and thought that we will never win a CL with those light physical midfielders.

2004-2008:
Favorite player: tied: Ronaldinho and Etoo.
Ronnie was the best, but young Etoo was my favorite because he was underrated, a fighter, passionate and he was banging goals like crazy.
3rd choice: Xavi.
For example, back then, I adored Xavi, and I was neutral about Deco. He was good, but annoyed me with some low IQ decisions from time to time, unlike Xavi.

2008 and later:
Favorite player: Messi
2nd choice: Xavi, the brain, Mr. TikiTaka himself
3rd choice: Puyol, a captain, a warrior, the same as Lucho in 90s.
The same as with Deco, I liked Iniesta and Busi, but I was never blown away by them like with Xavi.

Also, if you have read my posts over the years, Xavi is one of the rare players about whom I never talked badly (as a player).
I do shit on him now as a coach, because he seems to be stuck in time and obssessed with a type of football which is outdated in my opinion.

From La Masia players whom I watched developing from the early years:
Xavi was my love from the day 1.
Puyol was horrible in the early years as a RB under Van Gaal. He has improved later as a CB.
Young Iniesta was somewhat frustrating, true.
Young Busi was way smoother than young Iniesta, he wasn't frustrating.
Valdes wasn't frustrating either.
And for the end, young Messi: lol.
I was in the awe on every match. I always waited for the last 10 minutes for him to enter.
The magic was just there from the first touch.

It is not that I hate every single young player in the world. I am too harsh on majority, though.
But it is not truth that I hated young guys Messi and Xavi.
About Iniesta, I wasn't impressed either, I will admit that.
He was the only guy from the bunch above who improved way more than I expected.

BBZ8800

Over rated by who and by those making which claims?

Your claim that Pedri could never play for a CL contending team seems about most extreme.

No one is claiming he is the next Xavi or even same type of player. You are picking things to argue against that no one is saying.

Overrated in terms that if someone says that he doesn't move well of the ball, people jump and say: insults or it's the team's or Koeman's fault.
How many times have we seen the same scenario here? Dembele was not dumb, it was the team who didn't understand his runs.
Arthur was not bad in the attack, it was the team who wasn't making deep runs.
Semedo was not bad in attack, it was his bad teammates.

Look how hostile people are for any negatives about Pedri.

BBZ8800

BBZ would you rather have Pedri or Camavinga?

Or what other teenage midfielder fits the bill of what Barca need?

I don't watch other matches that much.
Only Barca, CL and some EPL matches.

So, my scouting sources are quite poor.
So, I can discuss deeper only Barca's, NT players and Pep's players.

JamDav1982

Overrated in terms that if someone says that he doesn't move well of the ball, people jump and say: insults or it's the team's or Koeman's fault.
How many times have we seen the same scenario here? Dembele was not dumb, it was the team who didn't understand his runs.

Nah most folk aknowledge Pedri has things to improve on so that doesnt make him 'over rated'.

Tell us the 'truth' of where Pedri should be rated? Which young midfielders are/will be better than him?

Seems very vague on the 'over rated' argument.

JamDav1982

I don't watch other matches that much.
Only Barca, CL and some EPL matches.

So, my scouting sources are quite poor.
So, I can discuss deeper only Barca's, NT players and Pep's players.

Usual.... wont commit to making claims about players so can stick to attacking others.

Knew it was coming.

You fairly write essays on Peps football being out dated for someone who now claims to barely watch anything but Barca.

Just usual latest argument that contradicts others from past.

mc_lovin

I have actaully watched young Xavi and for your surprise, these were my favorite players in certain eras:
1999/2000/2001/2002:
Favorite player: Rivaldo, because he was the best player in the world
2nd choice: Lucho, because he was a captain and a fighter
3rd choice: young Xavi. I don't know why, but I liked Xavi's passing and IQ from the day 1 when I first saw him. The only night ever in his whole career when I was pissed at Xavi was in 2005 at Stamford Bridge 2:4 vs Mou's Chelsea. But on that night, I hated the whole Barca and thought that we will never win a CL with those light physical midfielders.

2004-2008:
Favorite player: tied: Ronaldinho and Etoo.
Ronnie was the best, but young Etoo was my favorite because he was underrated, a fighter, passionate and he was banging goals like crazy.
3rd choice: Xavi.
For example, back then, I adored Xavi, and I was neutral about Deco. He was good, but annoyed me with some low IQ decisions from time to time, unlike Xavi.

2008 and later:
Favorite player: Messi
2nd choice: Xavi, the brain, Mr. TikiTaka himself
3rd choice: Puyol, a captain, a warrior, the same as Lucho in 90s.
The same as with Deco, I liked Iniesta and Busi, but I was never blown away by them like with Xavi.

Also, if you have read my posts over the years, Xavi is one of the rare players about whom I never talked badly (as a player).
I do shit on him now as a coach, because he seems to be stuck in time and obssessed with a type of football which is outdated in my opinion.

From La Masia players whom I watched developing from the early years:
Xavi was my love from the day 1.
Puyol was horrible in the early years as a RB under Van Gaal. He has improved later as a CB.
Young Iniesta was somewhat frustrating, true.
Young Busi was way smoother than young Iniesta, he wasn't frustrating.
Valdes wasn't frustrating either.
And for the end, young Messi: lol.
I was in the awe on every match. I always waited for the last 10 minutes for him to enter.
The magic was just there from the first touch.

It is not that I hate every single young player in the world. I am too harsh on majority, though.
But it is not truth that I hated young guys Messi and Xavi.
About Iniesta, I wasn't impressed either, I will admit that.
He was the only guy from the bunch above who improved way more than I expected.

Sure, the innocent boy rated Xavi back then. But the current, bitter version of BBZ? No way would he allow another guy like teenage Xavi in his club.

vegitot

Different is Pedri actually has plenty of good performances with Barca. Of course he has plenty of mediocre games as well. What do you want from a 18 years old in 73 games???

Not to mention his performances with Spain which is completely different. Honestly pre Euro 2020, people didn't talk much about him. Only after seeing him in Euro, there are more people know about him. And that is the biggest factor for his (very likely) Golden boy award and why he is rated so high now.

Honestly i don't see why you call him overrated. Yes there is a comparison between him and Iniesta because both play for Barca and their look alike elegance technique, and it is all comparison at same age. No one call him the best mid in the world or something like that.

All players you mention above never shine for their country in major tournament btw.

Home of Barca Fans