Alex Song

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Song has left Arsenal, the deal will be announced over the weekend - latest Monday.

I like Song but I think we need a proper DM who can sit infront of the back 4 and offer real protection. As much as Song created for us, he cost us so many goals with his bad positioning. Hope he does well at Barcelona.

Thanx mate. I don't know why we're signing him if he's so bad defensively.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
He's not bad defensively... He just got a big head, thinks he's like a Xavi. And Wenger, being the pussy he is, encouraged him to roam around instead of giving him a dressing down

Bergkamp10

Thanx mate. I don't know why we're signing him if he's so bad defensively.

Not bad defensively, bad positionally. I think Barcelona will crack down on him more and force him to sit in front of the back 4 and he's only 24(?) so there's still a lot he can learn.

All I know is that Song has come a long way at Arsenal and improved every season. I don't think he's good enough for Barcelona but he's proved me wrong before and he probably will do again. Reliable gunners on twitter say the fee is near £20m which from an Arsenal
POV is a decent price!

Robbie

Song has left Arsenal, the deal will be announced over the weekend - latest Monday.

I like Song but I think we need a proper DM who can sit infront of the back 4 and offer real protection. As much as Song created for us, he cost us so many goals with his bad positioning. Hope he does well at Barcelona.

I agree.

We need someone who can do what Flamini did for us. Pressure, hustle, and challenge anyone with the ball that gets anywhere near the back 4. Song wanted to be more of a hybrid of DM and AM, constantly looking to move forward and leaving Koscielny or Arteta to fill that gaping hole. It was great for last minute winners, but a nightmare when defending a 2-1 or 1-0 lead.

alex 10

i don't think sahin will do that either mate tbh

Bergkamp10

I agree.

We need someone who can do what Flamini did for us. Pressure, hustle, and challenge anyone with the ball that gets anywhere near the back 4. Song wanted to be more of a hybrid of DM and AM, constantly looking to move forward and leaving Koscielny or Arteta to fill that gaping hole. It was great for last minute winners, but a nightmare when defending a 2-1 or 1-0 lead.

Spot on. I think Wenger lost patience with Song after the 3-3 Norwich game. All three goals were down to Song strolling around the pitch and having a complete lack of positional sense. I remember being at that game and Gibbs screaming at Song to track back but Song ignored him and Norwich scored. They had a massive barny afterwards. I remember thinking after the game that we might sell him. I do like Song though, I hope he does well at Barcelona.

Bergkamp10

i don't think sahin will do that either mate tbh

If we get Sahin (massive IF) then he will replace Wilshere while he's out injured and ease the pressure off him. Song and Sahin are not linked despite what the press say. Sahin coming was linked to RvP going (don't fully understand why but it's true, something to do with wages and 1 in 1 out).

desoe

Not bad defensively, bad positionally. I think Barcelona will crack down on him more and force him to sit in front of the back 4 and he's only 24(?) so there's still a lot he can learn.

It was actually the same with Yaya. He was never a DM, before he joined us. After that he just became one of the best.

Daemul

previously known as Jonathan28
Song is coming to Barca at the same age as Yaya did (24) and if he becomes as good as him (very likely) then this would be the best piece of business since Yaya himself. Also, it gives us the chance to make up for the stupid decision to sell Yaya. Yes, I know, it was Yaya's idiotic agent who caused him to leave, but man, we sorely miss Yaya. Whenever I start a master league in PES with Barca I always buy him back.

On another not, like Bojan said earlier, we've bought Alba and Song for less then Madrid bought Modric.

yallsumgsden

i have heard this about 235235634 times now. could you give some specifics of AAAALLLLLL of these goals song has cost arsenal with his "bad positioning?"

Pepe Silvia

This is great news imo. I can't wait to see Song draped up in Blaugrana. The guy is a maniac, and his muscle will be needed in Europe so we don't get pushed around like last season (brutal truth). People mention Yaya and it's just so true. When we had him no one could mess with us muscle wise. We lost that and maintained finesse but eventually were found out. Glad we have some muscle back, no disrespect to Keita because he was such a discplined utility guy, but he just didn't intimidate like I feel Song could.

Robbie

i have heard this about 235235634 times now. could you give some specifics of AAAALLLLLL of these goals song has cost arsenal with his "bad positioning?"

It happens too often to count. Song plays whenever fit, and is rarely injured, so just go to ANY game where we give up a lead or concede to a counter attack... then look at where Song is. Rewind a few seconds, and you'll see that he abandons his position to move the ball higher up the pitch (instead of passing sideways and going back to shield the defenders). Song himself said that Wenger instructs him to attack when he sees an opportunity, so I'd say it's as much a team failure as the player's misjudgment.

To have Song play like that, we need to have other players switch to that spot whenever he moves ahead. Attack as a team, defend as a team.

Meitux

This is great news imo. I can't wait to see Song draped up in Blaugrana. The guy is a maniac, and his muscle will be needed in Europe so we don't get pushed around like last season (brutal truth). People mention Yaya and it's just so true. When we had him no one could mess with us muscle wise. We lost that and maintained finesse but eventually were found out. Glad we have some muscle back, no disrespect to Keita because he was such a discplined utility guy, but he just didn't intimidate like I feel Song could.
we shouldnt sell yaya but he is too good for the bench he is a great player its better that he left

Home of Barca Fans