Andrés Iniesta

B

beautifulgame

Iniesta is better at playing direct football than Cesc. He's considerably more technically gifted and intelligent and has better awareness/focus. Don't get me wrong, Cesc is quite the player but that's just how it is. Also, while it was a nice game to see, Cesc is getting a little too much love for looking fantastic in a match against a shit side which was played off the park from start to finish and outclassed in literally every single position and matchup by a crazy gulf. If it comes down to having only one of the two on the pitch in one of the biggest matches against a top team, it's definitely a no-brainer.
this

Vapor

I think that we have an interesting option available to us for the first time in years, now that Cesc is starting to truly shine and play near his potential. We essentially have THREE, not just TWO, fantastic midfield options that can be tactically manipulated in many ways depending on the scenario we face. I won't go as far as to say Cesc is playing on the level Xavi or Iniesta, but if nothing else he is hardly far behind as far as the current form of all three. (In fact in ways he is contributing more in certain areas than Xavi AND Iniesta, namely as far as assists/scoring/chance creating goes.)

Now, we have:

1. Xavi's - reliability; unparalleled ability to dictate tempo, control the game and retain possession; occasional creative forward pass; perfect central midfield positioning and ball distribution
2. Iniesta's - ability to maintain possession; keen eye for direct, attacking play; dribbling ability; large-game experience; assists and attacking intent; physical quickness, ability to penetrate via dribbling
3. Cesc's - scoring ability; near unmatched final ball; perfect attacking runs he makes into the box; decent possession skills; great lob passes and precise long-balls for even more directness

That is a very unfinished and rough list, but the point is that this dilemma is actually a great one to have. There will be times where a scenario calls for the Xavi+Iniesta combo, their strengths and weakness.... there will be times where Xavi+Cesc are needed and there will be times when Cesc+Iniesta is the best option.

I think these discussions of one over the other are somewhat pointless. Each have their strengths over the others and each are weaker than the others in areas. Finally Cesc isn't looking up to the others like he used to and is realizing that he is his own unique badass. Thus I think for the first time in a while we have 3 near equally good options at our disposal and that makes us a whole hell of a lot more versatile, for sure. I don't think its an either-or thing, just different tools needed for different jobs is all.

Xavi and Iniesta are already bonafied Barcelona midfield legends, I truly believe Cesc has it in him to eventually become one in his own right as well, maybe not quite at those heights, but truly great nonetheless.

Last edited:

putogusiluz8

The Pale One
I think that we have an interesting option available to us for the first time in years, now that Cesc is starting to truly shine and play near his potential. We essentially have THREE, not just TWO, fantastic midfield options that can be tactically manipulated in many ways depending on the scenario we face. I won't go as far as to say Cesc is playing on the level Xavi or Iniesta, but if nothing else he is hardly far behind as far as the current form of all three. (In fact in ways he is contributing more in certain areas than Xavi AND Iniesta, namely as far as assists/scoring/chance creating goes.)

Now, we have:

1. Xavi's - reliability; unparalleled ability to dictate tempo, control the game and retain possession; occasional creative forward pass; perfect central midfield positioning and ball distribution
2. Iniesta's - ability to maintain possession; keen eye for direct, attacking play; dribbling ability; large-game experience; assists and attacking intent; physical quickness, ability to penetrate via dribbling
3. Cesc's - scoring ability; near unmatched final ball; perfect attacking runs he makes into the box; decent possession skills; great lob passes and precise long-balls for even more directness

That is a very unfinished and rough list, but the point is that this dilemma is actually a great one to have. There will be times where a scenario calls for the Xavi+Iniesta combo, their strengths and weakness.... there will be times where Xavi+Cesc are needed and there will be times when Cesc+Iniesta is the best option.

I think these discussions of one over the other are somewhat pointless. Each have their strengths over the others and each are weaker than the others in areas. Finally Cesc isn't looking up to the others like he used to and is realizing that he is his own unique badass. Thus I think for the first time in a while we have 3 near equally good options at our disposal and that makes us a whole hell of a lot more versatile, for sure. I don't think its an either-or thing, just different tools needed for different jobs is all.

Xavi and Iniesta are already bonafied Barcelona midfield legends, I truly believe Cesc has it in him to eventually become one in his own right as well, maybe not quite at those heights, but truly great nonetheless.

+1 exactly my thoughts

Gohan

Super Saiyan
Definitely was not himself.. But he improved and started to look better after Neymar's goal.

I am sure this was a one time performance from Iniesta.

ShandyFFM

Couldnt control a single ball. Not only him but you see it especially because its him. Although he had no impact like i have said before but no one here belives me. Against big opponents he has trouble because of his pace and strenght. Cesc is the right man for games like this.

Home of Barca Fans