Antoine Griezmann

George_Costanza

Abidal: if you put Suarez and Griezmann ... why did you sign Dembele? There are questions to ask. >>
https://twitter.com/FrenchFCB/status/955952806015524864

>>Abidal: “If you want Suarez, Messi and Griezmann, why sign Dembele? There are questions. Signing Coutinho means some will have to sit on the bench, that is why I say it is good to sign great players but it depends on the vision of the club.” [ser]

He has a point though

Raketa10

Well to be honest I doubt he would come if Valverde hasn't agreed with that. If he is coming than we for sure have a plan how to incorporate all of them.

FinBarcelonafan

It makes sense If Suarez/Messi are willing to rotate more and are fine taking easier games off. I don't think Dembele seems type of player to sit on bench and I don't think we can afford that either. Dembele cost us too much to be just benchwarmer.

FinBarcelonafan

Well to be honest I doubt he would come if he doesn't have Valverde's approval. If he is coming than we for sure have a plan how to incorporate all of them.

Couldn't Griezmann work as a midfielder as well? He seems to be quite solid defensively. I'm sure he wouldn't want to do that, but it could be interesting. He is very versatile.

What If they know Suarez is leaving after next season? Then it would make a lot of sense, because you're not going to find anybody as good as Griez for 100mil€.

Raketa10

Couldn't Griezmann work as a midfielder as well? He seems to be quite solid defensively. I'm sure he wouldn't want to do that, but it could be interesting. He is very versatile.

What If they know Suarez is leaving after next season? Then it would make a lot of sense, because you're not going to find anybody as good as Griez for 100mil€.

Midfielder? No, for sure not, he could play as a right winger or second striker and that's it. Only Coutinho can play as AM out of those 4. (Suarez, Dembele, Griezmann, Coutinho)

It makes sense If Suarez/Messi are willing to rotate more and are fine taking easier games off. I don't think Dembele seems type of player to sit on bench and I don't think we can afford that either. Dembele cost us too much to be just benchwarmer.

There is no way Dembele is going to be a benchwarmer you don't have to worry about that. Bare in mind that Demebele has on 20 years so the best from him is yet to come. He will hit his peak probably way after Suarez retires. :) I also sincerely doubt that Suarez will be our starter in the 2019/20 season so only next year will be the problematic one. So my opinion is that we are preparing for the life after Suarez with this Griezmann move.

Also "rotation" means that we would rest one of them in every game. If we consider that Messi will play majority of games and Coutinho will play in Iniesta place than you have 3 players rotating for 2 positions ( Griezmann, Suarez and Demebele). That would mean that one of them is rested in every third game or so. We'll see when and if he comes, but it could be interesting. :D

To be honest in some home games against some weaker opponents all 4 of them could play together with Messi in 4-3-3 or 4-1-4-1 formation. I see no problem in playing this formation against Alaves, Leganes, Las Palmas, Levante or Malaga at home.

------------Busi------------
---------------Coutinho----
-------Messi----------------
Griezmann--------Dembele
------------Suarez-----------

And than in 2019/20 4-3-3

---------------Busi--------------
---MIDFIELDER-----Coutinho---
Griezmann---Messi---Dembele

or 4-4-2

Dembele--Busi--MIDFIELDER---Coutinho
------------Messi----Griezmann-----------

Last edited:
M

MessiCam

Midfielder? No, for sure not, he could play as a right winger or second striker and that's it. Only Coutinho can play as AM out of those 4. (Suarez, Dembele, Griezmann, Coutinho)

Dembele is very capable of playing as an attacking midfielder. He's played just as many games there as he has on either wing.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
We'll just play with less defenders and use 3-4-3:

Pique-Umtiti-Alba
Dembele-Arthur-Busi-Coutinho
Griezmann-Messi-Suarez

Problem solved:coffee:

M

MessiCam

3-4-3 flat or diamond wont't be used but I'd go for diamond...

---Pique---Mina---Umtiti---
Rakitic - Busquets - Coutinho
------------Messi-----------
Dembele-Suarez-Griezmann

This way you maintain defensive integrity and Messi was devastating in that role last year.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
You guys are crazy with these wild formations. Just drop one player for each match and then when Suarez is washed up Griez can be full time striker

M

MessiCam

To be fair against PSG we didn't have a strict formation, it was ALL OUT ATTACK formation :lol:

It wasn't just against PSG. 3-4-3 diamond or 4-3-1-2 (when Neymar wasn't available) was used extensively after the 4-0 PSG loss.

M

MessiCam

You guys are crazy with these wild formations. Just drop one player for each match and then when Suarez is washed up Griez can be full time striker
There is nothing wild about 3 man defence formations. In fact many teams are using them as their base formations now.

Barça teams of old changed to a 3 man defence on the fly depending on whether or not the opposition were playing with 2 or 3 forwards. If it was 2 one defender would move inside. You see it with Man City on occasion too with Delph.

That said, I don’t think Valverde has the balls to be so dynamic.

Home of Barca Fans