Arda Turan

bismp

Super sub in big matches and rotate with Ini in smaller matches? He cost us 41m euros.

Most expensive 29 year old ever, after Zidane. I dont think he should be seen as simply a man who can start in smaller matches.
You are making a big mistake comparing today's market to themarket of 10 years past.
In today's market,35-40M is considered a normal price for a good player.For example,if Zidan was sold today,he would have gotten at least 80M despite his age.

bismp

What a brain fart signing. Barca is continuing whit the trend of short term players. ( mathieu, suarez,...) And where is he supposed to play? iniesta, busquets, rakitic is still working for us.
I agree about Matthieu,but not about Suarez.Even if he plays shit from now on,he got us a treble.Anyway,i think that Arda can be a good option for at least 3 years if he stays healthy.

Why did we get him?Well,first of all,with Xavi's departure we needed another midfielder.Truth is that there weren't many good choices on the market:Veratti was unavailable,Pogba was too expensive(100M for a promising midfielder?!?!),Gundogan was a risk because of his injury...So,Lucho decided that the only suitable is Arda.

Where will he play?Well,it is true that Iniesta is in decline.Futhermore,someone from the midfield(or attacking)trio may get injured.I stand by my statement:he can be used as a super-sub in big games and rotate alongside Rafinha/Roberto in smaller matches

Affiae

It's all about DEPTH.

Look at Bayern's squad. Even after all these injuries they could still field quite a few world cup winners (yes yes, I know, CL > WC in competitiveness and overall skill level but still).
Götze, Müller, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Lewandowski, Boateng, Neuer etc... that's depth Barca doesn't have but is going to improve upon.

Kuchi

He's a good signing, he'll be a good fit in our actual system, his work rate and competitiveness will make an impact and as it's been said, will give us depth and more versatility.

I'm really curious to see his creative game evolve, he certainly has the physical and technical assets.

As i said, a good buy, experienced and ambitious player that will do a lot more for us than just provide depth. Price is not a buzz kill for me, can't expect to find world class CM for scrap (plus we already had that with Ivan). As for his age, if he gives us 2 good years, where he contributes to a Liga and UCL, he'll have carried his own weight in my eyes.

FFS, we payed 20 mils for Mathieu and 2 (very important) goals later, we almost unanimously agreed he was worth it.

Welcome to FCB, looking forward to some good memories!

Last edited:

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
I have no problem with short-term signings as long as we win trophies. Basically, we invest funds in instant reality and enhance the power of our squad, whereas buying youngsters means that you should wait until they develop. A big club like Barcelona can afford themselves to allocate a great deal of money every summer mercato; To be precise, I mean, look, we have bought such players like Villa, Henry, Rakitic, Mathieu and a plethora of others when they all had entered their prime already. Thus, I'm more than content with the signing of Arda because he will strenghten our squad in all possible ways:

1. Increase the competition between the CMs.
2. Be the versatile super-sub.
3. Bring some more physicality and robust mentality in our team.
4. Inspire others with his fighting spirit.
5. Lucho will have more tactical variations with such a multipurpose player.

Professor Chaos

I hope he'll behave properly and won't throwing boots at anyone.
el-zapatazo-de-arda-turan-al-l_54424088550_54115221154_600_396.jpg

Last edited:

Jombi

I have no problem with short-term signings as long as we win trophies. Basically, we invest funds in instant reality and enhance the power of our squad, whereas buying youngsters means that you should wait until they develop. A big club like Barcelona can afford themselves to allocate a great deal of money every summer mercato; To be precise, I mean, look, we have bought such players like Villa, Henry, Rakitic, Mathieu and a plethora of others when they all had entered their prime already. Thus, I'm more than content with the signing of Arda because he will strenghten our squad in all possible ways:

1. Increase the competition between the CMs.
2. Be the versatile super-sub.
3. Bring some more physicality and robust mentality in our team.
4. Inspire others with his fighting spirit.
5. Lucho will have more tactical variations with such a multipurpose player.

Barca has seen its revenue stagnate for the past 3 years, while other teams have seen their revenue increase 30-40%. We cant just splash money like we have a billionaire backer behind us. Signing players with no sell-on value is a luxury that should not be the norm. I do understand that coaches like short-term signings because they are afraid of losing their jobs, but thats why we should have a management that can balance that with more long term strategies.

I do really hope he has a fantastic career for us though. Lets cross our fingers.

Vilarrubi

Barca has seen its revenue stagnate for the past 3 years, while other teams have seen their revenue increase 30-40%. We cant just splash money like we have a billionaire backer behind us. Signing players with no sell-on value is a luxury that should not be the norm. I do understand that coaches like short-term signings because they are afraid of losing their jobs, but thats why we should have a management that can balance that with more long term strategies.

I do really hope he has a fantastic career for us though. Lets cross our fingers.

Why do fans care so much about how the club is spending their money nowadays? It's not your personal money and we've seen MUCH worse signings than this from other clubs in recent years (Illarramendi 39m euros). Just enjoy that we've got a quality proven player to add to our squad.

Kuchi

Funny how Koke got everybody wet and now that we got the only midfielder from Atletico, that is clearly better than Koke in all aspects of the game, he's too expensive, too old, not Xavi :p

Faceless

No more faces at night
My understanding is him being a temporary rotation/starter in midfield sounds reasonable. But his price tag is unreasonable... but on the positive side; we're not cashing on a 100 mil young midfielder and ruining La Masia. (For now)

Zinedinho

Why do fans care so much about how the club is spending their money nowadays? It's not your personal money and we've seen MUCH worse signings than this from other clubs in recent years (Illarramendi 39m euros). Just enjoy that we've got a quality proven player to add to our squad.

I've seen this argument innumerable times. In the end, this is like asking why are you happy when your team wins. After all, you win nothing and your life stays the same.

Reasonable fans of sport clubs care about how the money is spent because spending money has consequences for the club they support. If your team spends too much on a shit signing, you worry, not because it's your money, but because it hampers the club's capacity to stay strong and competitive, and you care about that. And even if it's not a shit signing, if it compromises the sustainability of the club, it's reasonable to be worried if you're a supporter.

I guess this is not news to you, but football clubs don't have endless resources. Valencia is a recent example of how bad management can compromise the viability of a club. Or look no further. Barça under Gaspart was in serious trouble, in great part due to crazy spending. Meh, who cares, it's not my money!

That said, I'm ambiguous regarding the signing of Arda Turan. Short term, great. Long term (thinking about our young prospects) I'm not so sure. I'm not the least worried about the money spent, but obviously not because it's not my money, but because I think Barça can currently afford it.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans