Argentina

El Flaco

Sampaoli confirms he won't quit as Argentina's manager

[tw]1013103298260422657[/tw]

[tw]1013061171975544832[/tw]

dakt

What was the plan here? We have Messi?
Sure, he could have proven himself in a better light, but nevertheless, this team is SHIT. It's so clear. They conceded most goals in the tournament so far. How can one fight against that?

Iarwain

What was the plan here? We have Messi?
Sure, he could have proven himself in a better light, but nevertheless, this team is SHIT. It's so clear. They conceded most goals in the tournament so far. How can one fight against that?

There are/were way shittier teams in the tournament in terms of player names and they still left far better impression than this Argentina.

Argentina never felt like a serious team under him, not even in qualifications. He's not a bad coach, but obviously here he bit more than he could chew.

Hektor

OK. The World Cup is over.

We have to start from scratch from the defense forward. The problem is that we do not have good central defenders as far as I know. What's next? We have some friendlies at the end of 2018. There is also the Copa America Brazil-2019 and the qualifications for Qatar-2022 start at the end of 2019.

We have to form a team - a winning team - and then add Messi. The basis of the 2022 team is going to be Dybala, Icardi, Lautaro Martinez, Centurion, Pablo (not Enzo) Perez, Matias Kraneviter, Taglaifico, Maxi Meza, Ansaldi, Acuna, Mammana, maybe Otamendi and others from the U-20 that were the sparring partners of the main NT that also travelled to Russia.

There is also the U-20 World Cup Poland-2019 and the U-23 (with three exceptions) for the Summer Olympics Tokyo-2020.

Hektor

Last edited:

eaman

Neither team were impressive really but the difference was France were solid at the back. France just walked through the Argentine midfield and defence too easily

Chainsaw

Killahead
It would be a big loss for La Liga but I do they hire Simeone before next World Cup.

Simeone said he's not into coaching the NT anytime soon. He likes to manage and communicate with the players each day and the the NTs are not like that. Plus he's too expensive for AFA. I will stick with Sampaoli for now and let him work till Copa America. I just hope Messi doesn't retire.

Devils

Shambolic team.

Sadly it looks like Argentina will follow Italy and the Dutch after Messi and go through a long down period.

Messi10

So who are the next stars to come out of Argentina?
Time to give Dybala and Icardi a chance. Messi should still be the leader and captain.

Hektor

The fact remains that Argentina did not have the team. It was the defense that betrayed Argentina. They were too slow. In addition, we did not have anyone that could replace Mascherano. What we need is to start from the back forward. First get a good defense and then form a winning team. After that, insert Messi. The problem is that Argentina gets 1 Million dollars if Messi plays friendlies and $100,000 if he doesn't. It is up to Messi to say I'm retired from the National Team and then change his mind.

Argentina does not have the world class defensive players that I'm aware of. We do have the midfielders and forwards with the exception of Mascherano, who is a generational type of player. He will be very difficult to replace. It is just like Spain trying to replace Busquets - there is no one.

The defeat of Argentina is not that bad. We played better than Germany that was ousted by South Korea and not France, a superior team. The two finalists of Brazil-2014 are out. Furthermore, Ronaldo is also out of the World Cup.

Hektor

Last edited:

jamrock

They have a decent enough defense, otamendi, plus fazio or a number of other Decent defender Argentina as playing in Europe is a solid cb partnership, they just lack a goalkeeper of any repute & there defensive shape is good damn awful

Home of Barca Fans