Camp Nou

Loki

First pillars of the new VIP stand already in place.

Screenshot-2024-10-16-120913.png

edit: A question to the construction experts here: Why did they start to use steel pillars from the second basement level upwards. The first basement level stands on normal concrete pillars and then they started to put up steel pillars. My logic is the lowest tier has to carry the biggest weight, so why didn't they use steel pillars there too?

companyofcules

edit: A question to the construction experts here: Why did they start to use steel pillars from the second basement level upwards. The first basement level stands on normal concrete pillars and then they started to put up steel pillars. My logic is the lowest tier has to carry the biggest weight, so why didn't they use steel pillars there too?
Because you get a more stable platform with concrete meshed with iron, concrete is more resistant to compression and having a mesh prevents the separation of concrete from iron. They build the upper parts with beams because is faster and the added concrete gives an extra boost. If you form all those structures as the foundation you need more time and probably they calculated that they don't need to be so strong to make it worth. Secondly the upper structerure is more exposed to decay and the beams rust at a slower pace. That will be the light edition

Porque

What @companyofcules said.

The other reason I heard is because if you merge concrete with turkish hair transplants, it creates unshakable strength and confidence, while also lowering cost. After the first tier is done, only steel is required for the rest of the build.

Andresito

Staff member

Could be multiple reasons. Like you say the load is of course higher and concrete is great at handling compression. Could also be because weight is needed to take care of wind load as to prevent the structure from lifting. It's usually very theoretical but still needs to be handled.

Not sure how many vehicles will drive close to the stadium but the columns are most definitely calculated to withstand an accidental load from cars or trucks. For that it's cheaper to use reinforced concrete connected to the ground slab with reinforcement.

With how the world is changing, perhaps there is also the risk of a terrorist driving a hijacked vehicle in full force and that might've been accounted for. If I would design a stadium I would make sure one column isn't critical for the whole structure, basically you could destroy a column and most of the structure would stay mostly intact.

As for steel rust it's really no issue unless they are in a humid and salty environment like close to the sea or buried in the ground. And even then it can be protected by galvanizing the steel (the coating can be damaged when welding but can be fixed at site with special paint). That's why it's preferable to bolt together steel elements rather than weld at site, even if weld is stronger. Bolts are cheaper, faster and require no additional training either compared to getting a welder.

Hope it was understandable.

Home of Barca Fans