Champions League: FC Barcelona - Paris Saint Germain 3-1

Schumi

Schumi

You must see the facts. Its not 2010/2011 anymore. Our midfield has weakened and our defense has weakened. Pep and lucho is day and night.

Real have two better cb, a much better right back, and a close to alba level LB. Their midfield is better with kroos and modric.

In attack Its pretty Even.

Bravo is better than casillias though. But navas is better than bravo - but luckily benched;)

They are not unbeatable though.

Bayern on the other hand is tough, very tough. What has happened since 0-7? In what ways have we improved, and Bayern declined? If you follow Bayern closely can you cheer us up with some facts?

Barca is among the 5 best teams in the world. Player for player 3. But organization and playing style is important. We have something to prove, maybe tonights the tonight.

1. People who seem to believe that we were always playing awesome during the Pep era were simply not watching our games back then. Plus, since then Real Madrid and Bayern have massively improved.

2. Real are better than us currently. I have said so repeatedly. No disagreement there. Their defenders are better as well as their midfield. Unless Iniesta wakes up, we are gonna be suffering at midfield. I agree there as well. Our attack however, is better than Madrid's or anyone else's for that matter. Our GKs are both awesome by the way.

3. That 0-7 was a freak event. It could never happen again. It was even more freakish than the 0-5 that RM handed to BM last season. Bayern are more balanced than for sure, but they definitely have much more weaknesses that people on this forum completely ignore. They had lots of difficulties in many of their games this season. Needed penaldos to beat CSKA Moscow or Dortmund at home. Plus, they have zero domestic rivals that can put any kind of pressure on them. Needed last-gasp deflected strike to beat Man City at home, despite playing well that game. Their results from the back-end of last season to this one, are non-too impressive. Remember what difficulties they faced against Arsenal and Man U? I could go on...

Player for player (as in individual value) I would say we are the very best. But having said that, we are in deep trouble with our balance. We have a few holes (RM and BM do not have that) with Pique and I would also add Biscuits. Alves can also be a problem, but is also quite helpful at times. I have mixed feelings over Alves.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Playing Bartra at RB is football equivalent of throwing a towel.

Why? RB, or more accurately RW, position is probably least important in our team. It's only role is to stretch opponents and poses little threat as Dani is incapable of beating markers. They usually leave him acres of space knowing he can't do much damage. Nor are his crosses useful (noone to cross to).
Don't even get me started with his defensive abilities.

huskerdu

I think Barca are better than Chelsea (even if Chelsea has better balance than Barca) but I don't think I would rate Barca ahead of AM.

AM have had Barca's number lately and even though Courtois is gone I think Atletico have had the better season so far coupled with a very impressive win over RM.

gatsu

We can always play Bartra as RB to add height, but a team without Masche is unthinkable, he is the true leader.

I remember a funny quote "75% of earth's surface is covered with water, the rest is covered by Masche"

Dinho

Funny how you think you have a point.

Lesson: you dont have to argue excessively when it comes to truisms.

Is our defense weaker than 2010/2011?

Alves, puyol, pique, abidal was a better line than
Alves, pique, mathieu,alba.

Why. Because Alves 2010 vs 2014 is two different players(do I need to argue?), because pique was better pairing with puyol some years(argue?), puyol was better and had more authority than mathieu(argue?), abidal balanced our line better than today with both alba and Alves. Abidal had physicality and was a good cb also. The last point is arguable, I think alba is an immense player, but Its not that important. Overall the point is clear: we had a better defense. Its a truism, therefore you dont have to argue about it.

Same goes for many of the other points.

Schumi

Schumi

Some fair points, we can continue later if you want to. I agree focusing on Psg match now.

OK.

Apropos tonight's game, it's surely a must-win for us against a team who know how to play against us. We need this victory for the very obvious reason of topping the CL group. Coming 2nd means that our potential rivals for the Last 16 will be: Bayern Munich, Chelsea, Dortmund, Porto and Monaco. If we finish top, our potential rivals are: Juventus, Sporting/Schalke, Shaktar Donetsk, Basel, Arsenal, Leverkusen and City/CSKA/Roma.

As for Bartra at RB. We should have tried him there in previous games. You just can't throw him in a game like this out of the blue.

Oh, and I so wished we had Alves tonight.

Last edited:

Gohan

Super Saiyan
PSG is not an easy team you can beat. We have to show we are capable as a team to take on another good team and not rely on Messi and Messi alone.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Everyone needs to step up. Can'y just depend on leo, i hope suarez gets an important. He looks frustrated sometimes, don't want any bad incident to happen.

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
So David Luiz was mouthing off yesterday about how PSG has a better chance of winning the Champions League than we do huh?

I've always hated that Sideshow Bob looking muthafucka.

Home of Barca Fans