Champions League

Morten

Why the hell is the commentator saying its his 2nd? These americans don't know how to phrase football(soccer) properly sometimes.

I'm sure he meant his 2nd foul, but we don't interpret it as that over here.

El Gato

Villarato!
Nice shit-talking about me without even replying directly or tagging

Whats the matter? Feelings hurt or what?
Not first users to tell you this and yet continue to show arrogance to not reflect
Suit yourself

1) you probably haven't seen that I have written many times that in cup knock-outs anything can happen. And the meaning of this is that a far better team over the course of a season can have a night off in a CL knockout where a worse team gets good result against them (like Chelsea in the 1st leg, or RM against PSG in the 1st leg). These one-offs are rather unreflective of the distance and gap between the teams, and is rather un-sophisticated (to put it very politely) to judge relative strength of teams based on cup knockouts.

Aye except your judgement of gap between Chelsea is as usual poor as judges RM with CKM without acknowledging differences in dynamic when other players are introduced, which has already led to an entirely different set of outcomes including shifting entire ties and matches multiple times going as far back as February 2019
Same judgement problems showed by takes like Chelsea being a better offensive side than PSG
And attributing a 'night off' argument to both Chelsea legs where they made plenty of mistakes and couldn't create anything of substance in ET where they're allegedly a fitter, younger and better pressing side playing vs older and shit bus-parking team that RM is playing with RB at CB and Marcelo
Nothing new

2) I don't like reactive football, and I have the right to shit-talk reactive teams, but whenever I say X team didn't deserve to go through, I always base it on the quality of the chances created/conceded.
Precisely the problem and bias against which you consistently judging models and matches
Don't even disagree on premise, problem not in that but that it invariably leads to conclusions that 'match won't be close' or some other veiled variation of that

No account for stretch of play against which Chelsea created their chances in return leg etc etc
Using these to illustrate gap between teams and predict outcomes
Rather overtly exposing overreliance on stats and lack of sufficient attention to context
Remember similar stuff in conversation about Hakimi and Carvajal back 1-2 years ago
Not much changed

An elite bus-parking team like Mou's teams 'back in the day' would minimize the xG conceded, and would not concede big chances.

Lol

Plus, when their turn would come on the counter they will create themselves high xG chances.

Like RM, indeed
Good on them

If they are dogshite bus-parking teams, and not elite, they would still concede high xG chances, and not create themselves.

Indeed.
Good that RM isn't one because both created and conceded some, where both happened during play both in lower block and less so

"prepared to absorb the pressure' stuff don't mean shite if that's not translated to low xG shots conceded.

Nope can mean lots as can satisfy the metric in a variety of ways and team still be comfortable when conceding them
Which doesn't apply to how we play before subs were made and which is the period of play you think typifies the best quality Real Madrid side

That's far from "prepared to absorb pressure", and if it shows something is that you didn't defend well, and your hopes lied on Courtois making terrific saves, and Pulisic-Havertz-Jorinho missing sitters in order to qualify.

a) we did defend quite well from the moment of 3rd goal, not before it. rather clear for anyone watching. except only some seem to acknowledge the approach to the game chosen by coach doesnt mean tie will/wont be close or that it reflects quality of the side. also lacking consideration our starting CB was missing and LB was unfit and got subbed promptly the moment balance in the tie started to shift
b) shouldn't have absorbed as long as we did and used subs earlier which would really make entire conversation pointless as Chelsea showed they had little to show for themselves late in the game once this was done + couldn't even get past our worst backline in years for half hour being fitter side
c) Would take conceding a sitter to Pulisic anyday in yesterday's scenario when got introduced for Werner after first goal in CL and first brace in league in months

Again, lack of attention to detail and context

wisconsincule

Why the hell is the commentator saying its his 2nd? These americans don't know how to phrase football(soccer) properly sometimes.

I'm sure he meant his 2nd foul, but we don't interpret it as that over here.

I’ve got two English women loving on City/Liverpool

Home of Barca Fans