Daniel Alves

FinBarcelonafan

The carnage in here when he plays and gets tore apart , another laughable signing.

He will get torn apart defensively because of his speed but he will offer much more offensively than any other player. Sadly our defense is already but bad. One positive is that he can actually tackle. Something nobody taught to our other defenseman.

SmilerBam

Yeah, that was a slight hyperbole from myself, i admit. What i wanted to say is that Gavi and especially Pedri, are not all that. I still have higher hopes for Gavi though. But of course, neither of them will reach Xavi's level. Maybe half if they are lucky.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Yeah, that was a slight hyperbole from myself, i admit. What i wanted to say is that Gavi and especially Pedri, are not all that. I still have higher hopes for Gavi though. But of course, neither of them will reach Xavi's level. Maybe half if they are lucky.

No shit they likely won't become the best midfielders in the history of football. Stop moving goalposts. People expect Gavi and Pedri to become world-class players, not all-time legends.

ajnotkeith

He will get torn apart defensively because of his speed but he will offer much more offensively than any other player. Sadly our defense is already but bad. One positive is that he can actually tackle. Something nobody taught to our other defenseman.

This. He still has the skills but physically he'll be totally gone.

Birdy

Yes!

Actually all that train hype based on the Boca friendly is absurd.

He was good with his passing and crossing. Sure. probably better than all our RBs
His positioning as well maybe? I will give you that too

But then again:
He couldn't straight dribble at all, due to his lack of even minimal pace
And he was exposed time and time again defensively with balls over the top.
Now imagine any decent European team or even LaLiga team who knows how to play balls in behind (apparently Boca players didn't know how to beat the offside trap)
How many clear-cut chances will be gifted to an opponent JUST BECAUSE Dani plays RB?

SmilerBam

No shit they likely won't become the best midfielders in the history of football. Stop moving goalposts. People expect Gavi and Pedri to become world-class players, not all-time legends.

Pedri surely won't be wordclass. Not in my definition. I am not moving any goalposts. Gavi will be better than Pedri imo, but neither will be HALF of someone like Xavi.

Bobo32

I would estimate Barcelona as a whole is >20% better with Dani Alves on the pitch than with the current alternative. I say it is second to only Messi in terms of one player being able to make a difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKsBKQkGIDk

It is not mostly what he brings in terms of good crosses, 1v1 ability and so on, but it is about his calmness and trust. I see this when a former pro plays with amateurs, the time on the ball, the constant upwards head, the way of tempting pressure in order to play through it. Just check his first two actions in that clip - these things make your team more comfortable and the opponent much less comfortable, it influences the entire game and lets your team get less irritating pressuring from the opponent and more time on the ball, after the opponent finds out the pressuring isn't working.

I thought he was less good from the midfield, but in the clip he played very well with the ball at least. Puig found him nicely with horizontal passes from half space to half space twice there, it was a bit reminiscent of Xavi - Iniesta to be honest (I don't think Frenkie and Pedri for example found each other like that even twice in a game a lot of the time)
But I think he was out of position a lot, especially defensively. I want him as a RB, especially considering how the squad is balanced...

Gnidrologist

Yeah, the swag is still there. Question is if he would not completely fall out of the game, when opponents are tactically sound and run at full speed. Anyhow, his flaws are probably less bad than those of Dest and whoever would be there at this time.

Iniesta Ultra

Totally agree Bobo32, his skill and wisdom trump any physicality the other options provide right now. I'd like to see him starting against Sevilla.

Home of Barca Fans