Dede

Theconomist

I'd still rather pay 20 for Dede than 40 for Hummels, Hummels is already a finished product while this guy seems like a very talented unpolished rock. Anyway I hope he is as good as it seems regardless of wether he comes to Barca or not.

Brazil deserve a better player than Luiz for the 2014 WC

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
And he would cost at least 20 mill? I am getting boring with this, I know.. But since the 80s and Maradona Barca never bought a player from South America that hasn't flopped.
Maybe if he was cheap..

Theconomist

And he would cost at least 20 mill? I am getting boring with this, I know.. But since the 80s and Maradona Barca never bought a player from South America that hasn't flopped.
Maybe if he was cheap..

I understand not wanting to gamble on him but you know that's a very linear way of thinking.
Just because every play we've bought from SA since Maradona was a flop means any player we buy from SA in the future will flop.

Trickykid

I understand not wanting to gamble on him but you know that's a very linear way of thinking.
Just because every play we've bought from SA since Maradona was a flop means any player we buy from SA in the future will flop.

The fact remains, though, that the number of players setting the world alight, coming straight from Brazil to a european top club, is extremely small - even more so in the case of Barca. I doubt this is a coincidence. You're right that it's bound to change sooner or later, but as of now, it seems like much more of a gamble than getting someone who's already accustomed to euro football.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
It doesn't help that a lot of the players we do buy from South America are usually odd signings to say the least.

Sexy Lopez was never a blue chip prospect to begin with, Keirrison was either a bargaining chip to get Villa or a money laundering scheme, same with Henrique, Giovanni and Rochemback were signed during an era where everyone Barca was signing was crap. Our scouting in South America is not very good, though they did find a certain Lionel Messi.

Saviola was hardly a flop even if it ended badly, a disappointment perhaps but under Van Gaal he was one of the top scorers in the league and formed a nice partnership with Kluivert. During his first period with the club he scored 60 goals in 140 games, not elite but not a disaster either especially considering he was supporting Kluivert.

Riquelme was a poor fit who the coach didn't want. Bonano...well, that was a flop.

Jadentheman

Any updates on this guy. Tito needs a CB. I advise everyone to watch him in tomorrow's game against Argentina.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Hummels is safer but Dede would simply be expensive instead of crazy expensive.

He was awesome last I checked but I haven't paid attention to the Brazilian league in quite some time.

Home of Barca Fans