Defender for next season?

Reasonus

Not too keen on Alba. Best thing he has going for him is his Barca past but that won't be enough.
I would like to see Martinez here but he has a contract until 2016 and Basques don't change scenery that easy.

Adriano is good as things stand, he's injury prone though and has no backup unless we promote B players. Alba isn't better than him, just younger. We need someone who can defend. Abidal, when in form, was a very good defender. I said this before, but Roma's Jose Angel is more impressive than Alba when going forward. At least that's my assessment from what I have seen.

Those Basques have excellent players: Javi Martinez, Iker Muniain, Ander Herrera. I personally believe we can't go wrong with Martinez. Athletic, though, seem to have high hopes with Bielsa in charge.

Barcelona will sign Tottenham's Gareth Bale (22) or Valencia's Jordi Alba (23) for left back position. Bale 1st option, deal with Alba. [md]

Bale would be expensive and almost useless for Barca. He has the potential to be a mega hit in Madrid.

i_bleed_blaugrana

I personally think Alba would be better than Bale, much better actually. Bale is a horrible defender and it wasn't until he was switched to a LW that he won a starting spot with Tottenham. Alba is overall a good defender and knows how to pass and go forward excellently. Watch him in Euro this summer and see how he performs.

However, Alvaro Pereira wouldn't be a bad option at all. How much would he go for in the market?

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
Regarding his physicality, Bale should be a good presser and able to run back his flank quickly on opposing counter attacks. He however seems to need space and to get the ball deep, best in his own half, to offensively shine - at least thats my impression. Two things he wont get often in Barcelona.

Xavi_78

I hope those rumours about Bale are not true. First of all the price: 40 Mio.??? Hallo?, We need an other CB and a Striker therefore we can not spend that much money on a guy who we are not sure will work here.
Like el tren said he is good when he has space to run into, playing on the counter, space is surely a luxury that FCB is denied again and again these days. His ball skills andd ball control is not good enough for tight spaces, His biggest asset is his pace and he won't hardly be able to use it in attack and his defence skill are more than average

Ender

Barcelona want to sign Valencia left back Jordi Alba (23) before the Euro. Valencia are willing to talk. Transfer fee around 10-15M. [marca]

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
You don't need defenders because I thought that Fontas, Muniesa and Bartra were all excellent players and much much better than the crap in epl, bundesliga and serie a?

Xavi_78

You don't need defenders because I thought that Fontas, Muniesa and Bartra were all excellent players and much much better than the crap in epl, bundesliga and serie a?

If you take into consideration the last U 21 where Spain with some La Masia players did win the tournament and England, with superstar 16 Mio. talent J. Henderson, did not even get out of the group stage, I think your disrespect for the La Masia youngster might be slightly over the top

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
If you take into consideration the last U 21 where Spain with some La Masia players did win the tournament and England, with superstar 16 Mio. talent J. Henderson, did not even get out of the group stage, I think your disrespect for the La Masia youngster might be slightly over the top

I wasn't disrespecting La Masia at all neither the players mentioned. I said I though they were all excellent players so you don't need any defenders.

MagIX

do you realise that he is only 3 cm shorter than alves?

Do you realise that our defense with Alba, Alves, Mascherano are smaller than 1.70m ? With only Piqué taller than 1.80m (puyol 1.78m)?
We dont have strikers or midfielders (only Busquets) who can come back and help with their hight (p.e. corner or cross from free kick).
We need height + phisicality in our defense = NO ALBA !!!

Yaotzin

i don't see how signing alba (for about 10 million euros) excludes us from the opportunity of buying another cb..
It's just a matter of numbers..if we sign Alba, that leaves us with a *maximum* of 3 reasonably tall guys (centre backs + Busi). And then consider that Masch is one of our CBs..

We definitely need some more height somewhere, and defence is the obvious place to get it. It's a shame that tall left backs are about as rare as diamonds. Abidal is such a huge miss.

Oh and please god no Bale. Can't play left back, one trick pony, would look totally out of his depth at our one touch play.

Home of Barca Fans