Eden Hazard

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Hazard: I'm as good as Ronaldo and Messi were at my age... now I just need to win trophies to prove I'm best in the world

:lol:

Messi at 23 already had 2 bdors, 2 cls, 3 ligas, 1 olympic gold medal and much more...

What a joke. :lol: He is still overrated in my opinion, despite his hattrick and all the oohhs and aahhs that are pouring in from everyone. :zzz:

Moose

Hazard: I'm as good as Ronaldo and Messi were at my age... now I just need to win trophies to prove I'm best in the world

:lol:

Messi at 23 already had 2 bdors, 2 cls, 3 ligas, 1 olympic gold medal and much more...

Lol, you read the Daily Fail? :lol:
Hazard didn't even say that. Read the original interview in L'équipe where the Daily Mail took their quotes from. They should hire some new people in their linguistic department.
Here's the full interview, plz point out the quote?

L'Equipe : Was the game against City the best in your career so far ?

Eden : It was a great game, i performed very well. I watched it on TV later, I missed very few things. All that I tried, I succeeded because I had a lot of confidence in me. I have to try and reproduce this type of match as often as possible.

L'Equipe : Is your current level the fruits of your labour since you left Lille ? (Yes, french journalists always ask shitty questions like that...)
Eden : I worked like any professionnal players do. Rather than training, it's the succession of big matches in Premier League that are important for my progression. I don't say to myself : "Tomorrow I will work to be a better player". No, I will be better if I play well every week and in big matches. I have been in good form for two-three months now, I hope for Chelsea and me that it will last. But one must not get ahead of oneself. Just try to be better each time than the last.

Have you reached the personnal goals that you had set for yourself ?

E.H : It's my second season here. I play every week in one of the best clubs in the world. I still have to work on regularity and efficiency. But each year I feel I make progress, I am in an updraft. Now it's up to me to stay focused and take it to the next level.

How do you rate Jose Mourniho ?

E.H : His palmares speaks for itself. He won trophies with every clubs he's managed. Nobody had beaten City at Etihad this season. There's no discussion possible, thos who were still doubting his competence have to stop ! He's already proven that he's the best manager in the world.

Is he close to his players ?

E.H : I have a very simple relationship with him. He trusts his players without being constantly behind their shoulders, checking in on them. He likes to tease us and have fun so that there will be a good atmosphere and us players would feel at ease. Sometimes, he's angry but it's normal. I have absolutely no problem with him, I get loads of playing time and I get to give the best of myself.

You had little troubles when you lost your passport when you came back to France...

E.H : He made me understand what had happened, deprived me of the next game against Schalke in UCL. The game that followed against WBA, I was on the pitch. And i scored a penalty at the last minute. It proves that we're not dead to him when we make a mistake. He has that intelligence. He tries to understand and supervise like a father would do with his children.

Your name has been mentioned once again during this winter transfer window...

E.H : Leaving Chelsea has never been on topic for me. I'm happy at Chelsea and still have much to do here.

Yet your name is often associated with PSG...

E.H : It's flattering to see big teams like PSG interested in me.But it doesn't trouble me. I'm very well aware of what I want, where I wanna go. Nobody's gonna change my mind. My aim is to be the best with Chelsea. A youngster like me have the chance to learn every day with highly experienced pros like Lampard, Terry, Cech, Etoo. Thay all have won so many trophies. I try to build myself on their models. It makes me better. That's why I think my best years are still ahead of me.

Does it strengthen your choice to have come to Chelsea ?

E.H : We'll see in 3 or 4 years if I win trophies. I came to Chelsea because I knew I would get playing time. Since then I've made good friends at Chelsea, where people have liked me very rapidly.

Has the way supporters look at you changed ?

E.H : Frankly, I don't care what people think of me. Messi and Ronaldo are the two best in the world and they're both hated and loved. It's just the way it is.

How do you rate yourself in comparison to these two players ?$

E.H : I'm a lot younger than them. Thay have a palmares that I don't. But I have nothing to envy them at my age. If i want to get to their level, I have to win trophies. It's up to me.

Will you compete with them for the title of best player in the world ?

E.H: It's too soon to tell. I'm on the right path, but I still got a lot to do especially in the big matches. You have to score constantly, like Ibrahimovic, Ronaldo and Messi. I have to keep on working to get to their level.

Is that what Mourinho is asking of you ?

E.H : He doesn't ask one thing in particular. Trainings are always kind of the same whoever the coach is. He won't tell me what I have to do, individually. I have to feel it. Mourinho makes us aware of our responsabilities. In France, it was like "we're all going to do muscle-development". Here, if you don't want to do these exercise, you can avoid them for years. On the other hand, you have to be at your best on the pitch.

How far can you lead Chelsea ?

E.H : We'll see. We're still in the race for 3 competitions. We're not favorite for the UCL because there are better teams than ours. Premier League, we'll see. If we play every games like we did against City, we'll be champions. But I will do nothing by my own. If we get to win trophies, it will be thanks to the whole team.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Lol, you read the Daily Fail? :lol:
Hazard didn't even say that. Read the original interview in L'équipe where the Daily Mail took their quotes from. They should hire some new people in their linguistic department.
Here's the full interview, plz point out the quote?

So I guess they took liberty to translate "But I have nothing to envy them at my age"?

F

Flavia

What's the original sentence in french? I saw this on yahoo, not the dailyfail.
And honestly "But I have nothing to envy them at my age" is not that far from what they posted. He has nothing to envy Messi when he was 23? Okay :D
Ronaldo is 6 years older, but Messi is only 26. Same difference he has from cr.

GoobiePls

S♥NE
That's not a bad thing. I don't envy Messi either, that doesn't necessarily mean that I think that I'm a better footballer than him.

Moose

So I guess they took liberty to translate "But I have nothing to envy them at my age"?

Seems so. The English press is extremely lazy in checking sources and verificating them.
I distinctly remember a post-game interview of Hazard when his transfer-saga was in full flow. A Canal+ reporter was trying to get an exclusive and kept asking him whether he'll sign for United and City. (those were the frontrunners back then)
Hazard kept evading the question and the reporter then asked which was his favourite colour, red or blue. Hazard pointed at the red jersey of Lille he was wearing and then to the blue seats in their stadium and said they were both nice colours.

What happened next? Al Jazeera mistranslated that quoted and reported Hazard said: "It's blue, definitly blue I'll wear next season." A couple of hours later that faulty quote was all through the English press.
Sport journalists are the worst kind of reporters. The sense of urgency they have now that they're competing with social media platforms as Twitter has deprived them of quality and any sense of responsibility of what they print.

You know that Hazard had an excellent reputation in France? A bit of a media darling and very popular with his fellow professionals too. Absolutely no reputation of diving or diva-attributes.
In his first game at the Community Shield Hazard went down under a challenge and you immediatly hear Martin Tyler say he has a reputation for diving... The whole transfer saga aswell, hugely fueled by the media circus in England, created a very distorted image of him.

BBC had a great interview with him a couple of days ago. (Starts after 15mins) Paints a better picture of his charactar. Which is a bit cocky and arrogant but nowhere near as the diva he's often portrayed as in the Daily Mail.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26082755

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
The kid has an open ego, but it's built on ambition. It's not the same as Balotelli or Bendtner who are just full of themselves. Hazard has the desire to reach that level and he's tracking his progress as a player to one day be on that level. Is it far fetched to compare himself to Messi? Obviously, but IMO he's just talking about that tier in general.

Hazard compared to Ronaldo's level of ability makes more sense. He's not too far from where Ronaldo was at that age and is only just starting to break out, IMO he could definitely follow a similar trajectory if he continues this form with his hunger to get even better. Obviously they are different types of players but Hazard can reach that level in terms of overall output and play though it'd be tough to match the numbers.

F

Flavia

I found it: "Je suis beaucoup plus jeune qu'eux. Ils ont le palmarès que je n'ai pas. Sinon, je n'ai rien à leur envier à leur âge. Si j'ai envie un jour de devenir comme eux, ça passe par gagner des titres".

He says he's younger, and that apart from the titles Messi and cr got, he has nothing to envy them for. He just need titles to be like Messi... Just semantics. Still facepalm worthy.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Sport journalists are the worst kind of reporters. The sense of urgency they have now that they're competing with social media platforms as Twitter has deprived them of quality and any sense of responsibility of what they print.

Whatever he said, but this is spot on.:goodpost:

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
So many lol worthy posts in the last page or so, and no, not about Hazard and his lack of envy. I wouldn't envy Messi if I was Hazard either, envy is just stupid, for him to not envy shows a sign of maturity if you ask me. Envy is immature.

F

Flavia

So many lol worthy posts in the last page or so, and no, not about Hazard and his lack of envy. I wouldn't envy Messi if I was Hazard either, envy is just stupid, for him to not envy shows a sign of maturity if you ask me. Envy is immature.
Then you should read the whole quote more carefully... He said APART from the trophies, he has nothing to envy them for. But he envies the trophies, as he thinks that's all that separates him from being on the same level as Messi and cr.

Moose

Then you should read the whole quote more carefully... He said APART from the trophies, he has nothing to envy them for. But he envies the trophies, as he thinks that's all that separates him from being on the same level as Messi and cr.

Hu?
Your French isn't up to much. That's not at all what that says.
"Si j'ai envie un jour de devenir comme eux, ça passe par gagner des titres"
How can you translate that as "He just need titles to be like Messi..." ?!

Nowhere it states that he thinks that it's just that what separates him from Messi. And nowhere it states that he says "I'm as good as Messi and Ronaldo were at my age".
You don't happen to be a journalist looking for a sensationalistic headline do you? :lol:

He even said so in the other interviews from recent weeks that he needs to get prolific every game and score 2-3 goals or influence the result to get to the level of Ronaldo and Messi.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans