Edinson Cavani

antonnn

Blue Blooded Aussie
Well we've been linked with him before, and now links are here again saying he's the front runner to replace Drogba for next season. Problem is we already have Torres(as our first choice striker, not Drogba replacement), and considering the price we paid for him we can't really buy another striker who'll expect to be first choice all the time unless AVB decides to off Torres if he doesn't perform well for the rest of the season. I guess only time will tell. I wouldn't say no to Cavani though.

Barcilliant

He is another option. Even if we dont get him we should get another striker. Against Getafe we resorted to EPL long balls-noone was there to receive them!!

Barcilliant

I really don't understand why this is so difficult for some people to grasp.

CD, your posts are great but on this count you are wrong. A pure number 9 is a plan B. See Inter/Getafe/Sevilla or even RM or Chelsea. One of the ways to breal a wall is with pure physical power using the long ball and a physical striker who can actually be a target man or can strike from distance or can actually use aeriel ability and HEAD the ball in. I love our game but when we are off and facing a resolute defence-we seem clueless. Either that or we use Pique like we used him against Inter.

Catalonian Devil

Shukran Pep
CD, your posts are great but on this count you are wrong. A pure number 9 is a plan B. See Inter/Getafe/Sevilla or even RM or Chelsea. One of the ways to breal a wall is with pure physical power using the long ball and a physical striker who can actually be a target man or can strike from distance or can actually use aeriel ability and HEAD the ball in. I love our game but when we are off and facing a resolute defence-we seem clueless. Either that or we use Pique like we used him against Inter.

Wasn't that the idea when we signed Ibrahimovic?

The tall, physical presence that would prove to be the perfect solution against parked buses? Like Inter?

Didn't work out too well did it.

The thing is as long as Messi plays for Barca, it is simply not possible to have a #9 in Barcelona. Even players who have been legendary in the middle had to be sacrificed for Messi, see E'too, Henry, David Villa. People keep calling on for a plan B but really how often does the parked bus really work? More than 90% of the time it will break, as it has been for 3 seasons now, and the few times it doesn't we had wasted easy chances, eg. Bojan vs Inter, Messi vs Sevilla ( along with many other chances), etc.

It's pointless to purchase a #9 for the 10% of the games that we fail to break a bus, when he'll be deployed as a winger for 90% of the time, or even worse be left to rot at the bench

Parked buses only work against us when we not playing as sharp as we should be, or are being wasteful, not because we lack a plan B...

zanela

Wasn't that the idea when we signed Ibrahimovic?

The tall, physical presence that would prove to be the perfect solution against parked buses? Like Inter?

Didn't work out too well did it.

The thing is as long as Messi plays for Barca, it is simply not possible to have a #9 in Barcelona. Even players who have been legendary in the middle had to be sacrificed for Messi, see E'too, Henry, David Villa. People keep calling on for a plan B but really how often does the parked bus really work? More than 90% of the time it will break, as it has been for 3 seasons now, and the few times it doesn't we had wasted easy chances, eg. Bojan vs Inter, Messi vs Sevilla ( along with many other chances), etc.

It's pointless to purchase a #9 for the 10% of the games that we fail to break a bus, when he'll be deployed as a winger for 90% of the time, or even worse be left to rot at the bench

Parked buses only work against us when we not playing as sharp as we should be, or are being wasteful, not because we lack a plan B...

Zlatan was never a great header of the ball. But i do agree with the rest of your assessment. Besides, a young, established striker won't come to warm our bench.

Catalonian Devil

Shukran Pep
Zlatan was never a great header of the ball. But i do agree with the rest of your assessment. Besides, a young, established striker won't come to warm our bench.

He indeed isn't, which is precisely why the assumption that he was somehow going to be the solution to parked buses always mystified me.

He's not even a #9...

MoFroBo

Overrated anyway.

How is this man? Before this season I bet he was unknown name at England, although he had tremendous season. He doesn't get any recognition from media and from the football fans outside Italy.

He has crazy heading, work ethics, smart runs and good shot. He simply with more experience of european footbll could become top 3 strikers in the world.

Sergio

Sergison
How is this man? Before this season I bet he was unknown name at England, although he had tremendous season. He doesn't get any recognition from media and from the football fans outside Italy.

He has crazy heading, work ethics, smart runs and good shot. He simply with more experience of european footbll could become top 3 strikers in the world.
Well he is no Andy Carroll.

Home of Barca Fans