Eric Abidal

xsever

From Barça's official website:

The operation was carried out by Doctor Josep Fuster Obregón and his team to remove a tumour in the player’s liver.

During the operation, which lasted for approximately three hours, the medical team removed the tumour through laparoscopic surgery without any complications.

The player could be fit to leave the hospital within a week, depending on his progress.

In accordance with the specific wishes of the player himself, the Club would like to demand the maximum respect for his privacy at this moment.

deelio

fine for getafe? no waaaay. that would be sweet, but really? i thought it was supposed to be at least a month or something?

iookram

Victor Valdes says it just so fittingly:

“I don’t think it will affect us badly, as his optimism has lifted us all. We are motivated to offer all our success from now to the end of the season to him, though the biggest win will be the one he gets over this thing”.

From the Barca website.

F

Flavia

fine for getafe? no waaaay. that would be sweet, but really? i thought it was supposed to be at least a month or something?

I'm sure he was just joking. He probably won't play anymore this season.

ivan22

Ibi on Twitter
"Abidal had surgery for 3 hours. The tumor has been totally removed. He could leave the hospital in a week. "

17h ago

Corb

Special 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...
Ibi on Twitter
"Abidal had surgery for 3 hours. The tumor has been totally removed. He could leave the hospital in a week. "

17h ago

14lhh82.jpg

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Zubi said the doctor's assessment is he could be back in August... This sucks :(

Abi might even decide to wrap up the boots, just my opinion that. He even said something like that in the season starting remember? Only his huge performances this season was the motivation that made him decide to continue!!

This officially sucks... I really hope the team has enough strength to win things, like they want to do for Abi

Galning

No, Abidal said he didn't want to sign for another team only with Barça. He said he would retire if they didn't offer him a contract extension.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I realize some aren't familiar with the medical aspect of things but the likelihood of him returning this season was always extremely remote, hence the nod to August

We also don't know how aggressively they will treat things, depending on the pathology findings...I noticed this with my mother in law a few years ago...Europe (at least the Suisse) were more aggressive going after cancer than they typically are in the US...And by aggressive I do mean a combination of therapies, not the least of which is radiation, chemo & hormone replacement

All of this is moot, of course, if he comes out with a benign tumour in which case he'll simply have to let recovery take it's course...No rush

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
No, Abidal said he didn't want to sign for another team only with Barça. He said he would retire if they didn't offer him a contract extension.

Yeah the context was that... He responded to a question about contract renewal that he won't be playing for any other club other than us. But he also said he'd reconsider his fitness levels, check how long his legs would support him for the game at highest level and then decide about the renewal. Probably he meant he don't want to be a liability for Barca. He did know how Marquez had to leave after being such a legendary player you see!

I pray for the team to have enough strength to do really big things, both as a fan in general & for the case, God forbid Abi decides to wrap up his career. His huge season deserves a lot

Home of Barca Fans