Frenkie de Jong

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingLeo10

Xavi, Zidane, and Iniesta were better players than Modric but he was more effective than all except prime Xavi (09-11) in CL. Because of all the other attributes that Don Andres mentioned.

Sorin

There's absolutely no way Modric is on the same tier as the guys mentioned above. Not talent wise, not performance wise, not achievment wise. The guy was good in his peak/prime but still fell short of the absolute goats, which is no shame whatsoever.

serghei

Modric is not a generational talent, he is a great midfielder that comes around every 7 years or so. He is in the Schweinsteiger tier except Schweinsteiger was more injury prone and only played for a great team for a short period under Heynckes.

Look no further than every single Clasico we played against peak Madrid. Even with a declined Barca midfield with the likes of Paulinho in it we never got outplayed by Modric and Kroos midfield. If anything, Rakitic came out on top between the 2 Croatian midfielders almost every time they faced each other. Was also better at the World Cup except 1 game against Argentina but the 3peat hype wave carried him to the Ballon d'Or, so what can you do?

And now look at the midfield domination from Barca against Real in 5-0, 6-2, 3-1 (in Pep's last season) or 2-0 in Bernabeu (09/10, Xavi masterclass deciding the title race). The Barca domination led to freaking Real Madrid, record CL holders, camping a Boeing 747 in their own home stadium with something absurd like 10 defenders on the pitch and Özil false 9 and Di Maria, Benzema, Higuain all on the bench at some point.

Xavi and Modric are more than 1 tier apart. Xavi was not only better at controlling a game, he also had end product that you only see from elite #10s like Messi. I think he still holds the record of most chances created in a World Cup since Cruyff. Madness that anyone would put Modric and Xavi in the same tier and more so coming from a Barca fan who must have followed both players' careers closer than other casual fans which would be more excuseable if they held such opinions.

Agreed.

Devils

EC_uREaXkAMGN1S

He stands alongside the Captains at the new Cruyff Stadium.

This is astonishing, I've never seen anything like it.

Simply incredible.

Andrew M

[MENTION=12906]DonAndres[/MENTION] it is an interesting discussion but Modric is not that underrated as he is the reigning Ballon d'Or. He's definitely not better that Xavi and Iniesta obviously, but he's in the conversation is what I'm saying.

Obviously this is Barcaforum so unpopular opinion

[MENTION=12906]DonAndres[/MENTION] it is an interesting discussion but Modric is not that underrated as he is the reigning Ballon d'Or. He's definitely not better that Xavi and Iniesta obviously, but he's in the conversation is what I'm saying.

Obviously this is Barcaforum so unpopular opinion

That would be an unpopular opinion even on a RM forum. No hate, But honestly you've already shown on the Penny Penaldo thread that your heavily influenced by PR/Marketing.

Why are you always going on about PR and marketing? You seem to be a Neymar fan and he's pretty much more brand than substance.

Because before I joined this site I was of the opinion that most people could see through marketing by watching a player play but unfortunately it seems most succumb to marketing here which surprised me. Genuine eye opener.

As for Neymar lacking substance that's another widely held myth. 34 goals and 20 assists in 37 games.
CL? 11 goals in 13 games. That's how much he has supposedly 'regressed' since leaving Barca.

Andrew M

Because before I joined this site I was of the opinion that most people could see through marketing by watching a player play but unfortunately it seems most succumb to marketing here which surprised me. Genuine eye opener.

As for Neymar lacking substance that's another widely held myth. 34 goals and 20 assists in 37 games.
CL? 11 goals in 13 games. That's how much he has supposedly 'regressed' since leaving Barca.

I don't regard myself as someone beguiled by PR. For instance I don't rate Zlatan particularly at all and never have. However, the idea that it is controversial and provocative to think Modric should be in the conversation with Xavi and Iniesta is absurd.

I also don't think Neymar regressed since leaving Barca. I just don't think he was ever that great. I'm in favour of his return, though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans