Gerard Gumbau

JamDav1982

Did you watch him the last time he played some minutes for the 1st team? He was pretty bad, as he was for the whole last season for Barça B. I don't know what "player" you see in him, so far I see a pretty bad one.
Coaches aren't 100% right, anyway.

He didnt play well and looked really nervous.

Its nerve racking coming on at any level when you are a sub and team leading by a solitary goal let alone the Camp Nou on your debut in a crucial position.

Not even saying he is a good player or coach is right to see something in him and doubt he will make it but has shown flashes at times.

F

Flavia

He didnt play well and looked really nervous.

Its nerve racking coming on at any level when you are a sub and team leading by a solitary goal let alone the Camp Nou on your debut in a crucial position.

Not even saying he is a good player or coach is right to see something in him and doubt he will make it but has shown flashes at times.

He's not a la masia graduate, and lacks most of the basics. He has no positioning awareness, can't read the game, often leaves the defense exposed, and he's not that good at passing either.
What he has, that Enrique loves, is physicality. And that's it. But he doesn't even use that to his benefit. After all I saw from him last season, plus pre season and any other game, I really don't understand why he keeps being called to the 1st team. Maybe he is a hard worker like Douglas. But there are too many douglases and gumbaus in Barça already.

JamDav1982

He's not a la masia graduate, and lacks most of the basics. He has no positioning awareness, can't read the game, often leaves the defense exposed, and he's not that good at passing either.
What he has, that Enrique loves, is physicality. And that's it. But he doesn't even use that to his benefit. After all I saw from him last season, plus pre season and any other game, I really don't understand why he keeps being called to the 1st team. Maybe he is a hard worker like Douglas. But there are too many douglases and gumbaus in Barça already.

What you are saying is most likely correct but I wont totally right him off and can remember these type of conversations absolutely slating Roberto who I argued for so players can change opinion.

I think he is decent on ball and doesnt possess physicality. Wouldnt be suprised if he is super fit or something in training and that appeals to Lucho but lets keep it in perspective he is being given minimal chances and not a player they are relying on.

Bran the Greenseer

I think people hate on gumbau because aside from the fact that he's not shown anything of much note with the first team or b team, it seems like Lucho is putitng gumbau before samper when samper has had a couple of great performances for the A team already.

God Serena

What you are saying is most likely correct but I wont totally right him off and can remember these type of conversations absolutely slating Roberto who I argued for so players can change opinion.

I think he is decent on ball and doesnt possess physicality. Wouldnt be suprised if he is super fit or something in training and that appeals to Lucho but lets keep it in perspective he is being given minimal chances and not a player they are relying on.

The thing is, at least Roberto had something, even when he was in his period of being considered awful by fans. Pep loved him. Tito seemed to enjoy calling him up. Tata promoted him and claimed he was a "fantastic" player and lamented not being able to give him more minutes, and Lucho convinced him to stay and tried him all over the park until he settled on the RB slot.

Gumbau doesn't have any of that. If the criticism applied to Samper was somehow applied to him (Show he earns it, put in good performances, control the midfield, improve defensively, etc.) there would be no feasible way you could explain why Gumbau even gets to train with the first team, never mind debut at the Camp Nou. At least with his love for players like Munir, Sandro, and Roberto you can at least see what's there, but with Gumbau... there's just a big blank.

frog-fcb

Gumbau might not be the best player about but his style must suit the first team tactics more than sampers currently. That reason alone is most likely why he gets the call to the first team as he can be slotted in and the team can continue to play there normal way. Weras sampers style is different meaning the whole team would need to reshuffle a bit

navidjaan

I think people hate on gumbau because aside from the fact that he's not shown anything of much note with the first team or b team, it seems like Lucho is putitng gumbau before samper when samper has had a couple of great performances for the A team already.

Just about right. Frustrating and unbelievable, actually.

Gumbau might not be the best player about but his style must suit the first team tactics more than sampers currently. That reason alone is most likely why he gets the call to the first team as he can be slotted in and the team can continue to play there normal way. Weras sampers style is different meaning the whole team would need to reshuffle a bit

Using that logic, Mascherano would be a "better fit" as a CDM for Barcelona than Busquets. However that's clearly not true.

frog-fcb

Not neccisarily masche while being one of the best dms in the world is no were near busquets level in the way our system works. A better example would be swapping messi for a rw who hugs the touchline at all time firing in crosses wer as messi is always coming inside. Or puttin in a defensive minded rb who offers no support down that side for messi and rakitic like alves does

Bran the Greenseer

The only thing is Gumbau has yet to show that he actually fits our system, while last season Samper has had great games playing for us. When has he shown that he can't play in the system? If i remember correctly Gumbau was the one in preseason leaving our CBs for dead.

khaled_a_d

There are so many ways to look at this situation ,for every S.Roberto there is Montoya,JDS who didn't change the coarse of their careers
That said ,I stand to Lucho opinion for now , we are still too early on the season and I am curious to see what Lucho see in him during the next few months .Lucho has earned to get benefit of the doubt

The thing is, at least Roberto had something, even when he was in his period of being considered awful by fans. Pep loved him. Tito seemed to enjoy calling him up. Tata promoted him and claimed he was a "fantastic" player and lamented not being able to give him more minutes, and Lucho convinced him to stay and tried him all over the park until he settled on the RB slot.

Gumbau doesn't have any of that. If the criticism applied to Samper was somehow applied to him (Show he earns it, put in good performances, control the midfield, improve defensively, etc.) there would be no feasible way you could explain why Gumbau even gets to train with the first team, never mind debut at the Camp Nou. At least with his love for players like Munir, Sandro, and Roberto you can at least see what's there, but with Gumbau... there's just a big blank.

Pep loved everyone on B team .many of those he loved isn't in the club anymore .I am not sure what Roberto had b4 ,he looked inferior to many of his teammates during his tenure with Barca B .Tito only praised him when Thiago left and Tata had a strategy of saying good things about young players but never use them .
Non has used Roberto in a reliable way until Lucho switched him to DM .then told him to stay in summer and that he was gonna turn into RB .
The only coach who was able to get anything from him and turning him into superior player than he is was Lucho ,again that is the only reason I would wait and see if he is right on Gumbau

Just about right. Frustrating and unbelievable, actually.
And unfair to Gumbau ,that isn't the way to judge a player

El Flaco

You can't expect people to not laugh at Gumbau. If you want to preach, then go to the Ter Stegen thread and ask people to support him because after all he is a Barça player. I am not one of those who jumps on every player just for the sake of it, but Gumbau hasn't done anything, nada, so far. As long as he continues to be crap at basically everything I'm not going to "support" him just because he is a Barça player.

I'll be the first to support him, hope he gets a shot, etc. when he actually shows something.
I don't understand why you even mention the Ter Stegen thread because there are far more people who are defending the German, something you couldn't say the same regarding Gumbau as he's like a punching bag by the majority in this thread.

You should be aware the fact that it's not easy for a player from Barca B to perform really good in the first team instantly. Messi was the only player who manage to do it, but he was a exception. For everyone else, it took some time until they could shine.

To support a player isn't just about doing it when he's in a good but also having faith that the player will actually eventuelly turn into something one day. Just like Roberto...

Last edited:
F

Flavia

I don't understand why you even mention the Ter Stegen thread because there are far more people who are defending the German, something you couldn't say the same regarding Gumbau as he's like a punching bag.

You should be aware the fact that it's not easy for a player from Barca B to perform really good in the first team instantly. Messi was the only player who manage to do it, but he was a exception. For everyone else, it took some time until they could shine.

To support a player isn't just about doing it when he's in a good but also having faith that the player will actually eventuelly turn into something one day. Just like Roberto...

The problem with gumbau is that he never performed for Barça B either. Roberto did. Comparing the 2 makes no sense.

El Flaco

The problem with gumbau is that he never performed for Barça B either. Roberto did. Comparing the 2 makes no sense.
As I said to [MENTION=695]Galning[/MENTION], does it wash away the fact that Roberto struggled in the first team and was regarded as a trash by many for many seasons? Of course not...

I think Lucho know what he's doing with Gumbau and sees something that many of us don't. After all, he manage to get the best out of Roberto. Something our previous coaches wasn't able to.

F

Flavia

As I said to [MENTION=695]Galning[/MENTION], does it wash away the fact that Roberto struggled in the first team and was regarded as a trash by many for many seasons? Of course not...

I think Lucho know what he's doing with Gumbau and sees something that many of us don't. After all, he manage to get the best out of Roberto. Something our previous coaches wasn't able to.

Roberto found his spot as a rb. And he, at least, knows the basics, something gumbau lacks. Gumbau, Douglas and others aren't Barça quality. Enrique isn't always right. He has made some bad judgment calls in the past too.

Home of Barca Fans