Goal-line Technology. For or Against?

Goal-line Technology. For or Against?

• Total voters

ceefoo

With FIFA announcing that GoalControl is the preferred choice for goal-line technology and will be trialled at 2013's Confederations Cup. Are you For or Against?

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
They should just show replays of the goal on the big screens as the team celebrates or argues with the ref or whatever, and the ref can change his decision based on that. Would cost less as a bunch of stadiums already have the screens. That being said, still for goal line technology.

XaviMessiGirl

I'm for it, definitely in regards to whether the ball crossed the line or not, seen too many terrible calls over the years. And it would take up less time than the alternative of instant replay/challenges like in some American sports. Of course the possibility of human error is part of the sport but there's a time when it goes too far.

What do you guys think about using technology for things like offsides though? For one thing it could be useful as you see a lot of offside goals (Zlatan today for one) but at the same time if you end up taking out another part of a ref's job, pretty soon we'll have no need for refs at all & it will just turn into an automated sport. There has to be SOME drama/controversy every once in a while :lol: But yeah, that I'm less sure about.

Sensors to determine whether a player has dived or not? :pep:

F

Flavia

I'm for it, definitely in regards to whether the ball crossed the line or not, seen too many terrible calls over the years. Of course the possibility of human error is part of the sport but there's a time when it goes too far.

What do you guys think about using technology for things like offsides though? For one thing it could be useful as you see a lot of offside goals (Zlatan today for one) but at the same time if you end up taking out another part of a ref's job, pretty soon we'll have no need for refs at all & it will just turn into an automated sport. There has to be SOME drama/controversy every once in a while :lol: But yeah, that I'm less sure about.

Sensors to determine whether a player has dived or not? :pep:
Haha, the sensors wouldn't stop beeping for some players :troll:

As for the offsides, maybe each team could argue 2 per game, or something like that. Like the challenges in tennis.
But I'd like if the game was automated, I don't like the drama, and too many unfair calls occur. Human error sometimes influences the game result more than the players, and this is really bad.
But I doubt we'll see football automated on our lifetimes.

Agri

It is a real difficult one this. One can argue day and night for all of the options above in the poll, but it will all come down to this (IMO): Is it worth it to sacrifice the charm and humanity in football for even the most essential goals, like Lampards shot against Germany, or even a Champions League final decisive goal? For me it's not. I'd rather keep the charm, and the human mistakes, even if it would go out on Barcelona one day (and you bet it will). It is those simple things that makes funny and intense discussions with friends at the school the next day. It is, and has always been what defines football.

F

Flavia

It is a real difficult one this. One can argue day and night for all of the options above in the poll, but it will all come down to this (IMO): Is it worth it to sacrifice the charm and humanity in football for even the most essential goals, like Lampards shot against Germany, or even a Champions League final decisive goal? For me it's not. I'd rather keep the charm, and the human mistakes, even if it would go out on Barcelona one day (and you bet it will). It is those simple things that makes funny and intense discussions with friends at the school the next day. It is, and has always been what defines football.
That's not what should define football... And honestly some mistakes sometimes make me wanna stop watching. The players should be the ones deciding games, not refeeres errors. I see no charm in this old school vision.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson

Do you consider Zlatan's goal today charming? Are you going to enjoy intense discussions about this decision?

Agri

That's not what should define football... And honestly some mistakes sometimes make me wanna stop watching. The players should be the ones deciding games, not refeeres errors. I see no charm in this old school vision.

You don't see it, you'll notice it being gone when the camera takes over.

Agri

Do you consider Zlatan's goal today charming? Are you going to enjoy intense discussions about this decision?

Aaaaand I was expecting that one. You're missing the point. The generell idea of making mistakes is a part of the sport. And yes, I love to discuss football in every way

XaviMessiGirl

Haha, the sensors wouldn't stop beeping for some players :troll:

I put a Pep face because I could never see it happening (how would something like that work anyway?) but it's honestly not that outlandish a suggestion if it could :lol: It would certainly cut down on a lot of poor sportsmanship. Serial divers like Alexis, Suarez, Di Maria would think twice before trying it. Perhaps that is something that replays are for, but of course like you said limiting the amount of challenges that could be made would be necessary, otherwise matches would drag on forever. One of the reasons I don't like American football, is that there is way too much stoppage in play.

PearLBLacK

Banned
I'm for t as well, the less ref mistakes the better. Goal line tech has become necessary, too many goals are wrongly given or denied because the ref or the third assistant couldn't see. Like Flavia said, games should be decided by the players performance on the pitch, the managers' tactics and planning, etc. Not the ref.

As for offside, idk how it would be done. One possibility would be to argue for an offside call and give each team limited chances to argue a decision. But I don't think that's a good idea, it would take time and the less interruptions in a match the better.

In general I wouldn't want too many automated decisions because that'd open up hundreds of arguments. What if the automated systems are manipulated? What if a system fails? But for starters what FIFA and UEFA should do is give refs better training. Sometimes refs make decisions that confuse you, like in the recent Mexico-USA WCQ match, an American defender shoved Chicharito down inside the penalty box. The linesman saw it and waved like crazy, but the ref chose to completely disregard it. That's something no technology will ever fix, the only way is to give better training and more punishments if refs get a decision wrong.

F

Flavia

You don't see it, you'll notice it being gone when the camera takes over.

That's the kind of argument I saw my grandpa making about how things were better back in his days. Why would someone need a cellphone for?

People don't like changes, in general. But I honestly cannot wait till the camera takes over. There will be still plenty of things to discuss. Like Messi vs cr, xavi vs pirlo, with team is playing better, who is the biggest flop at Barça, and so on. What's there to discuss about Ibra offside today? Nothing. It was a big mistake that just hurt Barça and benefitted psg. Losing a final to a mistake is anything but charming.
Human errors must be as minimized as possible.

ceefoo

Errors from players, YES. You can accept this. And as Mr Alan Hanson said "Show me a goal, and I'll show you a mistake".

Errors from Officials, NO. (Or specifically, Horrific Errors, NO). Everyone makes mistakes, we're only human after all. But when it comes to the ball crossing the goal-line, most of the time it happens so fast, it is impossible for an official to say with any certainty if it did or didn't. It's not for the Linesman to speculate or guess. I don't blame them (okay maybe Lampard vs Germany :lol:), they need help!

I am not one who thinks : Terrible refereeing decisions and controversy give us something to talk about after the match. I'd rather talk about the football.

I want the correct decision to be made, regardless of whether it's to the advantage of my team. Unless it's against RM of course. :p

Home of Barca Fans