Hans-Dieter Flick

Hansi Flick - how do we rate him?

• Total voters

Horatio

You're welcome
Loki is definitely right for me. The time span between two exact points on the same day a week apart is exactly 168 hours i.e 7 days. Though on these 'days between two dates' websites they ask if you would like to include the starting day in the calculation.

But the 3 matches are “across” 7 day period

Maradona37

But the 3 matches are “across” 7 day period
Sunday to Saturday is 6 days in actual time. But if you include Sunday as a day it's 7 days. The issue here is that Sunday is the first day in that we are existing on the Sunday, but the first full day of 24 hours doesn't lapse until the Monday.

But I agree it's awkward and I have thought about it myself. Mainly when I try to get the number of days calculated between two points on those websites that do that sort of thing.

Birdy

I think for this complex debate we need the guy with the highest IQ in this forum: @Birdy

It's two different meanings that can get conflated.

1) In the first meaning you count the games found within a certain period, and the 'in' used in the expression '3 games in 6 days' means 'within' or 'across' (as Horatio says) the indicated period.
Then, the period is defined by nominal days (established by name, like Sunday Monday, etc.), with the count starting with the fist full day, Sunday, where the first game is found. You have to take each day as a whole in this case, and that's why you indicate a 7-day period

2) On the contrary, the second meaning denotes timespan elapsed from a certain start-moment (the first kick-off) until another end-moment (last whistle of last game). Here it's the duration in between moments that is important, whether you count it in days or hours. Hence, the meaning of 'day' changes compared to the case above: the '1st day' is the 1st 24-hour span completed since the first kick-off, and it is not a nominal day, but an actual duration completed. That makes it a 6-day (and a bit) FROM beginning TO end.

PS: We could just stick to what really matters: the duration of rest/training in between games, which currently is more or less 72 hours between end of a game and the start of another

Maradona37

Bear in mind too that - while playing later than the previous game seems like an advantage - it means less rest before the next game as well.

Birdy

In any case, all i know is we win against Osasuna Saturday night, we widen the gap to Madrid to 7 points, and then they have to play Atleti away Sunday night
That gives us the psychological edge

Maradona37

In any case, all i know is we win against Osasuna Saturday night, we widen the gap to Madrid to 7 points, and then they have to play Atleti away Sunday night
That gives us the psychological edge
The big question is how many days will the psychological edge last? And is that calendar time or real time?

Birdy

The big question is how many days will the psychological edge last? And is that calendar time or real time?

It will last until Madrid starts playing against Atleti. They will be 7 points behind for almost 24 hours.
Then if they lose they will still be 7 points behind, and if they draw they will be 6!

Home of Barca Fans