Ivan Rakitić

Windhook

2014/15 was his finest season. But ever since Messi started again to free roam the pitch, not sticking to the right side, Rakitic is being ineffective. This season is his worst in performance, no doubt about that. I'm gonna joke here but... the hair transplant seems to have worsen his playing abilities.

ATLBarcaFan

He was such a key part to our treble run a few years ago, but he has somehow lost that form. He just really gives us nothing now.

F

FlaFCB

He's the one who misses Alves the 2nd most, after Messi. The void Alves left is huge, and it's showing now. Many thought Dani was done and that he wasn't bringing anything anymore... Well, here it is Barça without him.

God Serena

He's the one who misses Alves the 2nd most, after Messi. The void Alves left is huge, and it's showing now. Many thought Dani was done and that he wasn't bringing anything anymore... Well, here it is Barça without him.

The problem isn't that Dani is gone, the problem is Dani is gone and Lucho and Roberto made no attempt to replace him. We miss having a RB in general more than we miss Dani specifically. I'm still baffled by how anyone could think it was okay to just leave a spot in our XI void of any players of that position on the roster.

F

FlaFCB

The problem isn't that Dani is gone, the problem is Dani is gone and Lucho and Roberto made no attempt to replace him. We miss having a RB in general more than we miss Dani specifically. I'm still baffled by how anyone could think it was okay to just leave a spot in our XI void of any players of that position on the roster.

I think they miss him specifically. Chemistry counts too. And there aren't many good rb's in the market right now, and we'll end up with Bellerin. Why is best to sign 2 top cm's too, rakitic can't be a starter anymore.

JamDav1982

Agree with that. Alves is still a good player not quite what he was but the real issue was not getting in a proper right back to get up and down park and support Messi and a midfielder to increase the technical ability in midfield.

For me the team have to sign a right back and get a playmaker in midfield. Messi needs to go back to the right and hold his position more while need a player in to dictate the play and play with more variation not just look for Messi the whole time.

Dont agree with this idea that Messi is best player so get him on ball as much as possible if there is more variety and more options although Messi gets it slightly less he should get it in better areas and stretch pitch for Ney and Suarez even when he doesnt get on it.

Last edited:

Question17

Alves has been the best right back in the world for last ten years and has done that without work horses covering his deficiencies.

The only reason Alves was so attacking and played virtually as a centre mid at times was due to team lacking a midfield. Lucho found way round that by playing Rakitic deeper. It was an important role carried out by an average player who lacked the technique to play get involved in build up play the way a Barca midfielder should.

Without Alves and that role of covering Rakitic has been exposed as not good enough.

If your standard is I want world class for every position then no he isn't . If you just want the concrete goal and win trophies then yes he was good enough. There were recent barca players who were not world class but won a boatload of trophies here as starters. I could name them if you want but they have barca DNA so people remember them more fondly.

JamDav1982

If your standard is I want world class for every position then no he isn't . If you just want the concrete goal and win trophies then yes he was good enough. There were recent barca players who were not world class but won a boatload of trophies here as starters. I could name them if you want but they have barca DNA so people remember them more fondly.

My standard is that I want players with better technical ability than Rakitic.

It is not even about being 'world class' as only a few players are really that for each position. He is not anywhere near world class or one of top midfielders in world.

He played an important role in covering for Messi and Alves that many average players could have and the fact he had to do it was because he lacked ability on the ball.

Rakitic offers nothing now. Offensively or defensively and is not good enough to be a starter at Barca.

He was such a key part to our treble run a few years ago, but he has somehow lost that form. He just really gives us nothing now.

He was never individually world class. In the treble season, he had a certain role in the system and he carried it out. That system no longer works, so...

Still think he'd be a decent bench option. He's around the level of player we should have on the bench. Gomes level players shouldn't be anywhere near the club.

Last edited:

serghei

I think we can do fine with Raktitic if we get a very good RB and a midfielder instead of Iniesta.

It might not be possible to sign 3 starters in just one window. There are many teams with lots of money who would be looking to improve their squads.

The new manager can be what makes or breaks this team next season.

I think we can do fine with Raktitic if we get a very good RB and a midfielder instead of Iniesta.

It might not be possible to sign 3 starters in just one window. There are many teams with lots of money who would be looking to improve their squads.

Ideally, it be 2 this summer.

Thiago and Aurier. Than, you can rotate the midfield better and be set in the RB position. GOsh, you guys are making it seem like rakitic is garbage or something now.

serghei

Ideally, it be 2 this summer.

Thiago and Aurier. Than, you can rotate the midfield better and be set in the RB position. GOsh, you guys are making it seem like rakitic is garbage or something now.

I don't see those options as realistic. Signing players from Bayern and PSG is close to a pipe dream. These are final station teams.

Monaco, Dortmund, Porto, Sporting etc. these are teams where you can buy top players from.

Question17

My standard is that I want players with better technical ability than Rakitic.

It is not even about being 'world class' as only a few players are really that for each position. He is not anywhere near world class or one of top midfielders in world.

He played an important role in covering for Messi and Alves that many average players could have and the fact he had to do it was because he lacked ability on the ball.

Rakitic offers nothing now. Offensively or defensively and is not good enough to be a starter at Barca.

You don't like Rakitic as a player and I'm not going to go in circles trying to change someones opinion. But your he was "always an limited average squad player, never close to starter material" was never a consensus opinion even though this forums famous only judge people by form from as recently as possible posters are out in full force.

He made two team of the season awards in 2013-2014 without MSN and Alves "masking" him in Sevilla. Average players don't win prestigious individual awards like this. Your opinion on him doesn't override that. He has objectively proven that as a starter he can win the biggest trophies(which is all that matters really), your opinion wont change that fact either.

This has nothing to do with wether or not he should be sold gotten rid of or good enough now, but stop with the revisionist smearing of his past accomplishments.

JamDav1982

You don't like Rakitic as a player and I'm not going to go in circles trying to change someones opinion. But your he was "always an limited average squad player, never close to starter material" was never a consensus opinion even though this forums famous only judge people by form from as recently as possible posters are out in full force.

He made two team of the season awards in 2013-2014 without MSN and Alves "masking" him in Sevilla. Average players don't win prestigious individual awards like this. Your opinion on him doesn't override that. He has objectively proven that as a starter he can win the biggest trophies(which is all that matters really), your opinion wont change that fact either.

This has nothing to do with wether or not he should be sold gotten rid of or good enough now, but stop with the revisionist smearing of his past accomplishments.

Couldn't care less what team of the year awards he won playing in a position he never would at Barca.

Changes nothing at all about thinking he is average technically and Barca require better.

He was good for Sevilla that has nothing to do with him being good enough for Barca and the completely different type of midfielder needed.

Alves did mask his lack of technical ability. Also did Messi and he ended up in a role many average players could have carried out.

Now the team needs more than what he can give as don't have an Alves to mask his lack of technical ability that Barca should be looking for.

Home of Barca Fans