Joan Laporta

messi2140

6racies Xavi
Maybe Laporta can win the next election with Messi as sporting director and Oxfam as our sponsor , while boasting that he once won the treble.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Maybe Laporta can win the next election with Messi as sporting director and Oxfam as our sponsor , while boasting that he once won the treble.

I think this is the last time Laporta and Benedito stands and probably for the better. Need someone new in 2021. A new direction, vision, a leader.

khaled_a_d

I think this is the last time Laporta and Benedito stands and probably for the better. Need someone new in 2021. A new direction, vision, a leader.

If it happen in 2021 then yeah ,11 years away from the club while being 59 won't help Laporta's case .but with current board and legal issues you can never know .
But as it stands like now I won't be surprised with media support that the current board will continue for decades even with different names .just like Rossel and Barto.though things change very quickly

DonAK

If it happen in 2021 then yeah ,11 years away from the club while being 59 won't help Laporta's case .but with current board and legal issues you can never know .
But as it stands like now I won't be surprised with media support that the current board will continue for decades even with different names .just like Rossel and Barto.though things change very quickly

Even if Bartomeu is found guilty and has to serve a prison sentence(which is v unlikely) then Cardoner will take over and complete the term. As long as Barca win trophies of course. In January, Laporta would have aced the elections according to the polls and you also saw how Bartomeu was booed and what he was called for in the Camp Nou. Treble + media support saved his ass. As expected most of his votes came from people 60+, who are easier to get on your side when you got all the media support with you. They'll believe what they read in the popular papers and the most popular is Mundo Deportivo who got so desperate that you'd question whether they had any journalistic ethics or not.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
This will hopefully be a lesson to all the candidates that want to become president in the next elections. You need an actual campaign to win the election , not getting ex-barca players as your staff and promising to buy the next big thing especially if the current one just came from winning the treble (no matter how big or small the contribution was , Bartomeu was a part of it)

JamDav1982

Laportas campaign was really poor all he seemed to want to do was tell everyone how Barca should be run. It was rarely about listening to the Socios or being flexible to what they might want.

Example being the Sponsorship issue. He pushed this idea of Unicef on front of shirt which could potentially mean a decrease in potential revenue by 30/40m a year in times where Barca tv money will likely come down and EPL money going through the roof. He heavily laid into the 'Qatar' deal calling it everything from imoral to not damaging Barca..... he needs to remember the socios voted for it and he is effectively attacking them for the decisions as well as Barca.

To me on the issue of sponsorship he should have said his preference would be Unicef on front but he would provide options for socios to vote on rather than dictating to what he thinks Barca is.

One of main complaints about Laporta in past was he became too much of a dictator type who ran club as if it was his and I think his campaign just reaffirmed those fears through issues such as sponsorship.

F

Flavia

Laporta shouldn't have run. His campaign seemed improvised. Maybe if he supported Benedito... but looking at Bartomeu's votes, I don't think it would've mattered.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Laporta was the the best president in club history (and it looks like he will continue to be), but his campaign was half assed. He should have groomed a successor as soon as that snake Rosell started making moves.

Galning

Laporta was the the best president in club history (and it looks like he will continue to be), but his campaign was half assed. He should have groomed a successor as soon as that snake Rosell started making moves.

Yep. He made huge mistakes and that shows that Barça wasn't really his priority.

mssarm

Here are the reason for Barto win and Laporta loss:
Barto
1. The team won the treble
2. His willingness to call elections when he could easily and legitimately continue for another 2 years. He called the election when the club wasn't in the best form. It was a gamble for Barto
3. While Rossel is hugely unpopular, Bart never tried to distance himself from him to get more votes, however he quietly got rid of all Rosell executives.
4.Did not pay insane amount of money to buy Pogba to get election boost.
5. Showed that he close the "deal"(Messi is happy, Alves and Pedro got renewed, bought Suarez, considered LE-s preferences when buying new players)
Laporta
1. Not having any substance to his campaign. He thought he will get elected just because he is Laporta
2. Abusing cheap populist tricks to get elected(Unicef, Abidal)
3.Talking about how he is going to fix La Masia, making sure that youngsters will have a chance in first team and promising at the same time he will bring Pogba(Beckham 2.0?)
4.Slamming Barto for the fraud while he was involved in dubious deals himself(soci-s been with club for longer time and have obviously have better memory than some fans in this forum).
5. He had no fresh ideas, out of touch,looked impulsive and inconsistent.
I'm not big fan of Barto(not big fan of any administrative exec), but I'm happy that Laporta is not the president. I was happy when he stepped down after his first term(not because I liked Sandro), this election just showed that I wasn't wrong about his character.

DonAK

All of Rosell's executives stayed even after he resigned. Infact many of the board members during Rosell's era were on the candidacy of Bartomeu this time around so that one is factually incorrect.

mssarm

All of Rosell's executives stayed even after he resigned. Infact many of the board members during Rosell's era were on the candidacy of Bartomeu this time around so that one is factually incorrect.
Board members are not executives and dismissing the board would have been a disastrous decision. I don't have the list of exec-s that Barto removed and I don't want to waste my time researching it, but one of the former executives was running against him as presidential candidate.

Home of Barca Fans