João Cancelo

feggydinho

Is he good?

EDIT:

Just did a 10 minute youtube scouting session. If the price is right sign him up. Looks like he can cover LB too if Balde gets injured.
Will be good as an overlapping rb going forward so Raphinha can cut inwards. They may even form a great partnership

JamDav1982

Will be good as an overlapping rb going forward so Raphinha can cut inwards. They may even form a great partnership

Not convinced thats how it will go.

Could well be that Cancelo plays more of the Dembele role and he/Balde hold width.

Doesnt mean Raphinha wont ever play RW and he could also play inside Cancelo in one of the AM roles.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Apparently we are going to try to sign him permanently and forgo Frenesda.

This club just doesn't learn. Soon Deco will leave.

Birdy

As I wrote in the XAvi thread, I disagree 100% with that, which I see is the view of the majority

It's true that Raphina will benefir from an overlapping RB that would allow him to cut inside on his left and not have the responsibility of holding the width.
But that would be someone like Dumfries, who can run up and down the flank quickly and detect space to cover it by his runs

Cancelo is far from that.
He is in essence a playmaker, that wants ball to feet as much as Raphinia.
Many will be in for a surprise when they see both play. I see them in similar spaces outside the box demanding both of the ball to make plays.

PS: The tragedy is that we are ready to pay this guy, who is a full back, a 12m gross/6m net.
That is how much Dembele was getting on his reduced contract.
For sure, the club never learns
I will come back later on Cancelo's attitude problems and why he can be a cancer in the dressing room

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Madrid reportedly rekindled their interest on Frenesda while we are hell bent on trying to get Cancelo not just for a loan but a permanent deal.

It is all because of Xavi. Sick and tired of him really.

Birdy

Madrid reportedly rekindled their interest on Frenesda while we are hell bent on trying to get Cancelo not just for a loan but a permanent deal.

It is all because of Xavi. Sick and tired of him really.

The perils of having a coach do the squad planning based on his intuitions, rather than do squad planning based a strategic vision of the SD department back up by strong data analytics toos

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
The perils of having a coach do the squad planning based on his intuitions, rather than do squad planning based a strategic vision of the SD department back up by strong data analytics toos

Xavi is wielding too much power on transfer targets and Laporta seems to be blindly backing him, I am afraid it is just a matter of time Deco will leave due to being unable to exert his opinion.

The only saving grace right now is City keeping firm and demanding a lot of money that we can't pay. I am hoping City will come to our rescue.

ajnotkeith

We will keep signing players and he will keep stating we need more signings after every single season instead of working with the express requests he asked for. Just stop involving him with transfers and move to a modern approach.

Even the best coaches in the world have data-driven recruitment departments to manage signings let alone Xavi.

Porque

Apparently we are going to try to sign him permanently and forgo Frenesda.

This club just doesn't learn. Soon Deco will leave.

Well we don't know the inside details. But taking the paper talk, I think we should trust the SD on this.

So far Xavi has

WANTED
Ferran
Morata > Auba
Marcos Alonso
Azpi
Inigo
Bernardo
Joao
Oriol > Amrabat
Retain Dembele
Kounde
Kessie de la tortilla Seydou Keita

Some wins there, a few more losses. But more importantly it shows that his scope is (understandably) limited and that he should leave the individuals to the professionals.

By reports he is keen on Fresneda if Cancelo is impossible. And with Auba he was flexible and made good use of him. He just needs to be put in his place now and then.

Through some overgrown grass in his eyes, and then run off and sign who we want to sign while he's dealing with a panic attack.

fergus90

He whinges a lot on the field. So he must get insufferable in training day to day.

He can dribble the ball well though and can put it on a sixpence. Might well end up playing RW or LW :lol:

Home of Barca Fans