Kevin-Prince Boateng

Alik

I myself consider Paulinho a good transfer all things considered, and he contributed way more than the likes of dembele and Coutinho, us winning the La Liga. Buying him for 40m, and selling for 50m, was also BartoBusiness when its best.

I just named him because he also was one of these transfers which didnt make sense for most fans - including myself. But whatever, doesnt matter, Kerrison wasnt bought in 2010, so i should just have stopped there.

Paulinho contributed more than Dembele? :thinking:

George_Costanza

Paulinho is seen as great because we somehow managed to sell him back to china for even more than the stupid 40M we paid ourselves.

He did ok. Good first half, not so good 2nd half of the season. Transfer was received very badly (and i'm very glad he was gone so fast) but he wasn't a meme signing like Boateng or Douglas.

Paulinho was a great signing, I think whoever compares Paulinho to Douglas must be a crack high on Friday. Even Mina was a good transfer, although he didn't play much because of EV, he is a stater for Colombia NT, had an amazing performance in the WC and was most important was sold for a profit 32m (was bought for 11m).

George_Costanza

Paulinho contributed more than Dembele? :thinking:

The logic:

Paulinho = Douglas
Paulinho >>Demebele
Douglas >>Demebele

giphy.gif

Arizona Scott

If fairness Dembele hasn't contributed all that much in two years time. In fact I don't think he has contributed notably more than Paulinho in one years time or Coutinho in one and half years time.

That said, the relatively few months Dembele has been healthy and in form he can be spectacular. The talent and how he can open things up for us in ways no other player can is obvious.

xXKonan

If fairness Dembele hasn't contributed all that much in two years time. In fact I don't think he has contributed notably more than Paulinho in one years time or Coutinho in one and half years time.

That said, the relatively few months Dembele has been healthy and in form he can be spectacular. The talent and how he can open things up for us in ways no other player can is obvious.
Yeah I disagree on that.

He did far more this season than Coutinho ever did for us. And Paulinho? Meh he had some good games but a good portion of the time we looked like we were playing with 10 men because of his lack of tactical discipline and he was pretty subpar with the ball at his feet as well.

The Gist of it is when he wasn't scoring he seemed more of a burden due to his lack of quality in key areas.

Arizona Scott

Yeah I disagree on that.

He did far more this season than Coutinho ever did for us.....

I just think we are discounting how much better Coutinho has than Dembele last year despite the former playing only half a season and CL cup tied. Coutinho in fact has more goals to date in the Barca shirt with less months in the squad.

I was also thinking of the matches where we seized control of our trophy run this spring, from all 4 Classicos to Lyon leg 2 to United ties to last match with Atleti,I don't recall much for Dembele. Maybe he was big @Spurs where we basically won our CL group after the 1st match.

I think Dembele has crazy talent and should start when fit/in form, but I think it is more talent than production so far.

God Serena

Paulinho scored 9 goals in 34 appearances while Dembele has 14 in 27 this season. You could try to argue that Paulinho was a midfielder, but he was utter dogshit at literally everything but scoring goals, and the goal scoring dried up entirely after January. Paulinho being more useful to us than Dembele is borderline blasphemy, imo.

God Serena

I just think we are discounting how much better Coutinho has than Dembele last year despite the former playing only half a season and CL cup tied. Coutinho in fact has more goals to date in the Barca shirt with less months in the squad.

Coutinho having more goals is due to to factors: Dembele's poor injury history, Coutinho being given pity penalties by Messi (Which Dembele has never needed), and Coutinho stat padding in the Copa, where 1/6th of his goals in a Barca shirt have come from.

If we look at things on an even level, and say, only look at La Liga this season, where consistency is the most important factor, Coutinho in 32 appearances has 3 less goals than Dembele, while having 6 more games under his belt. And this is disregarding the penalty (Or two, I can't remember) that Messi allowed Coutinho to take for "Confidence".

To put it in perspective, Alena, who has less than half a season with the first team as a bench rider, has 2 goals in 14 appearances, with most of those 14 being only minutes long outside of the 3 games used as a starter.

I can't tell if you're trying to put down Dembele or raise up Coutinho, but Coutinho's numbers and performances are truly abysmal and Dembele has established himself as a crucial player for us, and the vibe you're giving off is that you think Dembele isn't as important as it seems, because I don't think it's possible to even compare him to the likes of Paulinho and freaking Philippe "I costed 160m more than I'm worth" Coutinho.

Arizona Scott

Coutinho having more goals is due to to factors: Dembele's poor injury history, Coutinho being given pity penalties by Messi (Which Dembele has never needed), and Coutinho stat padding in the Copa, where 1/6th of his goals in a Barca shirt have come from.

If we look at things on an even level, and say, only look at La Liga this season, where consistency is the most important factor, Coutinho in 32 appearances has 3 less goals than Dembele, while having 6 more games under his belt. And this is disregarding the penalty (Or two, I can't remember) that Messi allowed Coutinho to take for "Confidence".

To put it in perspective, Alena, who has less than half a season with the first team as a bench rider, has 2 goals in 14 appearances, with most of those 14 being only minutes long outside of the 3 games used as a starter.

I can't tell if you're trying to put down Dembele or raise up Coutinho, but Coutinho's numbers and performances are truly abysmal and Dembele has established himself as a crucial player for us, and the vibe you're giving off is that you think Dembele isn't as important as it seems, because I don't think it's possible to even compare him to the likes of Paulinho and freaking Philippe "I costed 160m more than I'm worth" Coutinho.

Yeah Paulinho wasn't a great comparison.

Some of those Copa matches were critical. We had to play a great 2nd leg vs Sevilla, two matches vs Real when that was their season, IMO every bit as important as any league match.

I like Dembele. When he is in form and fit he adds another dimension. But as best I recall we have only seen it what 2 or 3 months of outstanding play out of two years. It was an argument on productivity toward team achievements the last 2 years which I don't think he has been a big factor in winning the domestic double and being in great position for a double/treble--not talent or potential or even who should start. In this calculation you can't just count this year and ignore both players matches from last year--be them Liga or other ones. I think Dembele will be huge in the future--it is just more promise and flashes than results to date. Maybe "flashes" is a bit of an understatement but Dembele again was only a consistent force for part of this fall--and yeah injuries are the major part, but if you keep getting injured you can't produce for your team.

MTL_Barca

Coutinho is just flashes too to be fair, with less promises (age) to make up for it. He by no means was performing constantly above average since he joined.

Dembele is difficult to judge because he was injured a lot, half his games here were him trying to get back into it. Right now he seems quite rusty.

Considering their price tags (combined fee of up to 300M) and the player(s) they replaced here (Neymar and at least in theory Iniesta) both are a bit disappointing this far.

Havesaks

Paulinho scored 9 goals in 34 appearances while Dembele has 14 in 27 this season. You could try to argue thatulinho was a midfielder, but he was utter dogshit at literally everything but scoring goals, and the goal scoring dried up entirely after January. Paulinho being more useful to us than Dembele is borderline blasphemy, imo.

Paulinho was pretty important to carry The ball to our attack and created a lot of space. He was pretty vital in the first half season and made 442 possible, where we basically Won the league. Dembele nor coutinho was imo needed to win cup and liga, because dembele was injuried half the time and coutinho couldnt play chl. I think its fair to say paulinho contributed most of the three of them last season. He really was an important brick to Valverdes damagecontrol after ney-gate

Cule4life

The Culest
Not just amount of goals but Dembele has many more crucial goals/assists like the one against Atletico which immensely helped us on our way to trophies.

serghei

Coutinho is just flashes too to be fair, with less promises (age) to make up for it. He by no means was performing constantly above average since he joined.

Dembele is difficult to judge because he was injured a lot, half his games here were him trying to get back into it. Right now he seems quite rusty.

Considering their price tags (combined fee of up to 300M) and the player(s) they replaced here (Neymar and at least in theory Iniesta) both are a bit disappointing this far.

Agreed.

It's our cheaper signings who are kind of shining atm, namely Lenglet and Arthur. And soon possibly Todibo too as he's been impressive every time I saw him.

Hate Neymar with a passion for the shit he has for brains, but we've never really replaced him.

Home of Barca Fans