La Liga 23/24

Who wins La Liga?

• Total voters

Porque

Really nice to see 2 Real Catalan clubs at the top of the table.

Hay Liga!

Not a fan of the club because they are City Group, and they can game the cap rules with loans or creative sales.

Like having Wolves sign Bueno in return for the Matheus Nunes to City move. And the exact amount of the sale being what Girona needed to sign Solis.

But other than that they are playing good and City Group want to make them a top(ish) team in Spain. So they are here to stay.

Messi983

Not really bothered with their link to City.

Sure they help them but it's not like they have ten City players on loan.

They've done a good job recruiting players outside of the City group (like both Ukrainian players - Tsygankov and Dovbyk) too and have a good coach who plays attractive football. One little concern I have are their CBs. They're all either over 30 (D. Lopez, Bernardo, Juanpe) or on loan (Eric Garcia). Rest of the team is very well built and their performances show that.

Porque

Not really bothered with their link to City.

Sure they help them but it's not like they have ten City players on loan.

They've done a good job recruiting players outside of the City group (like both Ukrainian players - Tsygankov and Dovbyk) too and have a good coach who plays attractive football. One little concern I have are their CBs. They're all either over 30 (D. Lopez, Bernardo, Juanpe) or on loan (Eric Garcia). Rest of the team is very well built and their performances show that.

Decent article on the subject. 3 days ago.

Porque

May start to effect us once they imprint the City academy development and funds.

Our biggest CB prospect at the moment Pau Cubarsi was at Girona. He stays there in the future potentially.

Then they go and try and steal the next Lamine's and the families don't even need to relocate.

So there are greater implications. Though it is a problem many other big clubs in shared cities already face. But something we haven't really had to contend with until now.

And you look at the decision of Laporta cut the La Masia taxi services. Which long term may be an I'll advised move.

Messi983

May start to effect us once they imprint the City academy development and funds.

Our biggest CB prospect at the moment Pau Cubarsi was at Girona. He stays there in the future potentially.

Then they go and try and steal the next Lamine's and the families don't even need to relocate.

So there are greater implications. Though it is a problem many other big clubs in shared cities already face. But something we haven't really had to contend with until now.

And you look at the decision of Laporta cut the La Masia taxi services. Which long term may be an I'll advised move.

For Catalan kids Barca will always have bigger pulling power than other clubs. Sure, those who won't make immediate cut here will try their luck at Espanyol, Girona and other smaller clubs (but if they're not good enough at 12 and they develop well there are big chances Barca will give them another chance when older) but talents discovered soon enough by Barca scouts will more or less likely get here imo. Then it's up to them how they develop but have to be said Barca managed to keep all their best homegrown talents over the last two decades. And those few who "escaped" (like Pique, Alba and Cesc) were brought back.

Different times now I know but still don't think kids would prefer Girona over Barca in hope they will maybe make it to City one day. Being a member of one of the 10+ City's feeder clubs don't give you the same chances to make it to the "main" team than coming through Barca ranks.

We've seen players like Ansu, Gavi and Yamal jumping from Juvenil A straight into the first team over last 5 years without playing (much) for Barca B. If Yamal would play in Girona's first team at 16 would City consider him ready for their first team? Probably not but even if they would they couldn't just give him a chance if he's not there.

Another thing to consider are obligatory release clauses in Spain. Nothing would prevent clubs lke Chelsea, Bayern or Real to pay Yamal's clause and there are no guarantees he'd decide to sign for City over other interested clubs just because they are their feeder club. Players/their agents do what they think it's the best for them at that point.

I think clubs like Girona, Troyes, NY City and other feeder clubs are more useful for City to develop their loanees (bought from other non CG owned clubs) rather than actually signing youngsters coming from those clubs setups.

Either way I don't think City group (talking exclusively about the point of this debate not them being a state-owned club as well obviously) or Red Bull (Leipzig, Salzburg, NYRB and other) model are as big threat to football than likes of PSG (especially with how close Nasser is to Čeferin) and ofc a new Saudi Pro League.

Belgian winger running rings round Almeria for Sevilla.

Lukebakio looks a good signing so far for them. Sow and Pedrosa too. Victor Orta did a solid job in a tough situation and that mess of a team Monchi left him.

Also, two straight wins right before coming to Montjuic. But anyway, was expected they'll start to win soon. Have way too much talent to be in the relegation battle.

Las palmas had their first win of the season 3 days ago, hopefully this will give the confidence they need to beat Real

Would be more than enough if they can get a point but don't expect it.

Birdy

Right now, you have a Madrid that has great squad in some areas like md, but huge holes in other areas (GK, defense, striker), coached by a dinosaur that still employs tactics from some 20 years back, and is notoriously bad at winning leagues.
Then, you have an Atletico that is trying to change its skin and play more positional attacking football. Easier said than done. Plus their squad is below par in many many departments.

Conditions seem ideal for our Catalan apprentice to clinch another league, and barricade behind it to whitewash all the flaws of our team and its non-existent evolution. The first indications are that he will not be having the surreal luck he had last season and will get exposed more and more, although he still gets lucky (3 results against Osasuna, Celta, and Villareal that the team didn't deserve).

I don't know what is better for the future of the club.
As a Barca fan, I want leagues won by us and not by any Madric scum club. But, for how long, are we going to be content with hiding problems under the rug? A trophyless season for sure will kickstart reactions and I wanna believe that Laporta, despite his thickness, will act and change coach.
The team needs to breathe, and the potential of that squad (including some loanees) is enormous if the right coach unlocks it.

Everyone should pose the same question to themselves: another league title with all the problems under the rug, or cathartic change towards the right direction?

JamDav1982

Bilbao one of few teams in La Liga will tune in to watch and worth a bet usually.

They are usually set up very well but completely lack a striker.

mc_lovin

Glaring holes in Madrids team so far, but las Palmas looks like a very thankful opponent.

Joselu can't stay onside :lol:

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans