La Liga | Round 29: Real Madrid - FC Barcelona 0-4

Bobo32

Three things I dislike very much:
Gavi not starting, Frenkie and Pedri has not worked well together, especially in tougher games.
Araujo starting ahead of Alves, weak and undefendable I think
Dembele starting ahead of Traore - I think he is much better from the bench and might be a big problem from the start with all his missed passes.

Then I think it's questionable to play Pique but I lack too much insight into his injury to judge.

But I do think the balance that comes from these choices ends up decently still, let's see how it will look on the pitch!

Bobo32

Hope so.

I think Madrid will dominate the midfield (Busi-FdJ-Busi too slow, spaced and passive) while our front trio being a turnover machine compared to having Gavi and Adama there.

But Xavi is a bolder man than I, and I hope he is rewarded for it.

I thought the opposite with regards to bravery: he went with "bigger names" (yes Araujo is a bigger name than 39 year current Alves) and is leaning away from the football HE should want to play, in an attempt to defend Madrids strengths,

I have the exact same worries as you with the midfield and the attack, and I think that Araujos poor buildup might become a problem.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
I thought the opposite with regards to bravery: he went with "bigger names" (yes Araujo is a bigger name than 39 year current Alves) and is leaning away from the football HE should want to play, in an attempt to defend Madrids strengths,

I have the exact same worries as you with the midfield and the attack, and I think that Araujos poor buildup might become a problem.

You are wrong. He is rightfully afraid that Vinicius will smoke Alves again. It's not a fair match-up and Araujo is much better equipped defensively to deal with Vinicius, Madrid's most threatening player.

Porque

If the midfield can work as in Naples (they stood off us and let us play for some reason) then we can hurt Madrid alot offensively and Busi+Pedri will have alot of passing options. But I suspect we will be overcrowded, pressed and overrun by the additional man and the intensity of such a fixture. Then Pedri will not be involved, FdJ will be passive, Busi pressed and dispossessed dangeriously and blamed for all our short comings.

Brave in regards for the attacking trio. I don't think he shy'd away from Alves though. Just a tactical decision, but with no Benzema I suspect Vini will play off of Eric to hurt us and not near Araujo. Now if Ancelotti maintains Vini wide versus Araujo and Araujo contains him, then kudos to Xavi. Eric and Pique can build much better and quicker than Araujo can dream of out of the centre.

behindbrowneyes

Dumbele over Adama :facepalm:

And where is Gavi?

Adama looked like he is running out of gas lately. That run-intense Xaviball and the weight of his body have taken it's toll and he lost a bit of that effortlessness of dribbling past defenders. Imo Dembele is the better choice tonight and good thing is that Xavi has a quality-option on the bench if things don't go well with Dembele.

Would have liked to see Gavi too. His mentality is needed in games like this, but competition between Pedri, FDJ and Gavi is hard and one always has to sit out (apart from Gavi playing LW) while no one of them can really replace Busquets. Really liked the line-up last Sundays with Pedri - Busquets - Gavi.

JamDav1982

Maybe Xavi throws a curve ball and has Garcia at the RB/DM position and Araujo inside of him at CB and take the risk of allowing Vini jnr to get ball wide running at Araujo.

In the super cup game Alves didnt know whether to stay wide with Vini or come in to help Busi and ended up doing neither.

Probably more likely Araujo man marks Vini jnr and sits deep though more or less like a third CB.

Could maybe see FDJ on that side rather than left to help as well if Pedri is more to link in final third.

FC B

Garcia better won't cost point or points tonight.

And Adama over Dembele any day.

Last edited:

ajnotkeith

Pairing Garcia and Alves together isn't a good idea. They're both very slow so you need a fast defender like Araujo as a cover.

Home of Barca Fans