Let's talk about Xavi's replacement (2024)

Xavi replacement v3

• Total voters

Birdy

Flick hasn't built anything at Bayern, in fact the club didn't even want to back him in the transfer market. The guy is a nobody on the world stage, no big club approached him. Yet, idiots want him to rebuild Barca.

No, you dump muppet. Bayern board have their own transfer strategy with EACH and EVERY coach that coaches for them. They didn't even back Pep. That was one of the reasons that made Flick quit in 2021, when they were begging him not do, and even making announcements that he has one more year in his contract and they don't want to end it
Of course, they are certified idiots, and they pay for their choices.

But, what am I even talking about? If you ever understood anything about football you wouldn't have a hard on the worst version of Barca the last 15 years: Amigo-version led by a coward yes man

We've also heard a Bayern fan's perspective here too. It's not all rosy.

Which one?

Birdy

So, the short of is...no one was twerking for a treble in 19-20. Which is what your claim was. If your argument is why weren't we foaming about being destroyed by Bayern BEFORE the match, it's because we're Barcelona fans, ya fucking cuck. That's such a hard concept for you, since you root for everyone BUT Barca.

I wrote clear enough that the treble charge refers to 18/19, and the 'Bayern is hyped' charge refers to 19/20

Now that we have established that I am not lying with proofs and evidence, you can peacefully STFU and accept you were wrong among many others back then

khaled_a_d

1. Naggelsmann
2. De Zerbi
3. Flick
4. Motta
5. Tuchel

Feels like people are ruling out any chance of Spanish or Portuguese coaches? Michel, Amortim?

Motta is the hipster choice but do me a favor and watch Bologna later. He is going places.

Meanwhile for a project Naggingman seems by far the most reliable and exciting option.

De Zerbi if you got balls of steel. Could be an absolute crack if he hits it off. But also could be Vilas-Boas II.

Flick body of work as first team manager is so small. He caught lightning In a bottle at Bayern and they were incredible under him for 18 months.
-Can he do it again?
-Does he have the tactical guile and leadership to lead a bunch of Catalans when they go a goal behind In minute 10?
-Does he have the authority to not get these Catalan Buffet boys to not run out of stamina on minute 60?

Tune in next season to find out. ;)

Motta work with Bologna is something else, he is the next Xabi Alonso if he continues on this trajectory (being the most wanted coach who isn't yet in big club). Although the club has changed half the squad for him, and his entourage recently said he wants to be in a place where he is in control of long term project. I am not sure he is ready for that.

Nagelsmann is the kind of "potential " manager, he is the kind of guy who he has feeling that he is the smartest one out there, very egotistical coach tbh and it is easy to hate him once he opens his mouth. I was hoping that the Bayern experience humbled him a little but I am not sure after his words today. Him arriving in July seems to rule him out a bit.

Flick, assuming he isn't a lucky coach, will need massive funds in short term.
Considering he is 59 (happy bd to him) he isn't a project man but instant results one, he is a guy whose style is based on verticality, in a team that plays on slow motion like ours whose only quick player in attack will be put on the market, he is an awful match to current squad. Unless we are ready to splash 100M on attack, beside the rest of the team, it is unlikely to end well.

Messigician

Flick is the worst German team manager in the history of the sport.

Do people really want him when he failed so spectacularly?

Like come on bro I’m not saying Germany were the best national team in the world but even average coaches can do good work with national teams see Koeman and the Netherlands

jamrock

I was big on Tuchel a few years back, but with his recent run, I'm not so sure.

Motta is giving me good vibes, but I'm not sure he's ready for the step up.

Porque

Feels like people are ruling out any chance of Spanish or Portuguese coaches? Michel, Amortim?

Motta work with Bologna is something else, he is the next Xabi Alonso if he continues on this trajectory (being the most wanted coach who isn't yet in big club). Although the club has changed half the squad for him, and his entourage recently said he wants to be in a place where he is in control of long term project. I am not sure he is ready for that.

Nagelsmann is the kind of "potential " manager, he is the kind of guy who he has feeling that he is the smartest one out there, very egotistical coach tbh and it is easy to hate him once he opens his mouth. I was hoping that the Bayern experience humbled him a little but I am not sure after his words today. Him arriving in July seems to rule him out a bit.

Flick, assuming he isn't a lucky coach, will need massive funds in short term.
Considering he is 59 (happy bd to him) he isn't a project man but instant results one, he is a guy whose style is based on verticality, in a team that plays on slow motion like ours whose only quick player in attack will be put on the market, he is an awful match to current squad. Unless we are ready to splash 100M on attack, beside the rest of the team, it is unlikely to end well.

Good post. I want to bite the bullet and say go with Motta personally. The big Q for me is experience. But in reality, will another season in Bologna really make a big difference to what he can achieve here?

Rumours are strongly linking him to Juve so that would be our main competitor. I respect him for wanting control of the project. If we done it with Xavi then we could do it with a guy showing way higher potential. But as said in previous posts, paramount any manager is aligned with Deco so they can find the right choices together.

Good points on Naggelsmann.

On point I'll add on Flick, is that he hasn't had a top flight managerial stint for longer than 2 years which is the biggest concern. But age wise same age as Klopp. Would we say Klopp isn't a project manager? Or Ancelotti for example.

Big thing for me is he hasn't consistently put in the time. So if he hits a sticky patch, and he will given our club, does he look to exit?

khaled_a_d

On point I'll add on Flick, is that he hasn't had a top flight managerial stint for longer than 2 years which is the biggest concern. But age wise same age as Klopp. Would we say Klopp isn't a project manager? Or Ancelotti for example.

Big thing for me is he hasn't consistently put in the time. So if he hits a sticky patch, and he will given our club, does he look to exit?

Ancelotti was never a project manager in his entire career tbh.
Klopp is a one, but I doubt his next club will be looking for that.

What I mean for a project manager is someone who is building things slowly and given a good leeway, in terms of results, for few years to let him cook. A sort of rebuild type of manager.
Klopp has done that in 3 clubs, so in his late 50's you can give him that happily, but would you sign Flick having this idea in mind? He seems more like a quick retool one, not necessarily from his own capabilities but from the club perspective.

You are signing Flick as a winner of sixtuple, you want results.

Quick Edit: this what I was talking about Nagelsmann not being humbled.

Last edited:

ajnotkeith

Nagelsmann is extremely talented. I think he may also be better than Motta (as someone who recommended Motta years ago as a future top manager).

His view of the game tactically, like Motta, is very special. Motta has a better personality and character and Nagelsmann is probably better on the tactical side.

ajnotkeith

1. Naggelsmann
2. De Zerbi
3. Flick
4. Motta
5. Tuchel

For me. And obviously ignoring Klopp and Xabi who would be 1 and 2.

Tuchel is an excellent manager but has consistently falling out with management, and his Bayern stint leaves more questions than answers.

Motta is the hipster choice but do me a favor and watch Bologna later. He is going places.

Meanwhile for a project Naggingman seems by far the most reliable and exciting option.

De Zerbi if you got balls of steel. Could be an absolute crack if he hits it off. But also could be Vilas-Boas II.

Flick body of work as first team manager is so small. He caught lightning In a bottle at Bayern and they were incredible under him for 18 months.
-Can he do it again?
-Does he have the tactical guile and leadership to lead a bunch of Catalans when they go a goal behind In minute 10?
-Does he have the authority to not get these Catalan Buffet boys to not run out of stamina on minute 60?

Tune in next season to find out. ;)
Motta has a view of the game that not many managers have, the way he thinks of football is really special, I'd also add he is a very perceptive and intelligent guy in general and seems to understand football psychology really well.

One of the main principles of his game is very "Total Football" like - he thinks the whole team is a system and that defense, midfield and attack aren't seperate, that all players perform these functions. One of my favourite quotes from him is "the attackers are the first defenders and the GK/defenders are the first attackers".
On the character aspect this guy is really good as well, he wont tolerate shit from anyone, if players come late to training or dont work hard they just get removed from the squad entirely. He is a really serious and motivated guy.

So he has great tactical understanding and also an amazing character, I would love to see him here, indeed, I wanted him when he was at Spezia. Unfortunately he now has a lot more interest.

I don't know too much about Flick so won't comment. But I would say Nagelsmann or Motta should be the main two options. Not too encouraged about De Zerbi, even though he can coach good football clearly you also look for personality from managers for top clubs and he doesnt strike me as someone who has it.
I think Tuchel is vastly overrated. I think his first season here might go well then the wheels would come off the bus.

Porque

Ancelotti was never a project manager in his entire career tbh.
Klopp is a one, but I doubt his next club will be looking for that.

What I mean for a project manager is someone who is building things slowly and given a good leeway, in terms of results, for few years to let him cook. A sort of rebuild type of manager.
Klopp has done that in 3 clubs, so in his late 50's you can give him that happily, but would you sign Flick having this idea in mind? He seems more like a quick retool one, not necessarily from his own capabilities but from the club perspective.

You are signing Flick as a winner of sixtuple, you want results.

Quick Edit: this what I was talking about Nagelsmann not being humbled.

I think the thing with Flick from reading his quotes (talking about building from the youth - well all candidates who understand the club say this) is that he probably wants to build a project. Because that is what his career as a first team coach lacks thus far.

He could very well bring instant results as well because of his ethos and the core albeit old (Stegen, Gundagon, Lewy) believing in it which will encourage the young players to follow. You could probably add Frenkie to that list.

I guess his arrival, would be best related to Van Gaal first stint back in the 90s. You are looking at someone that has the potential to burn the candle at both sides at the same time, rather than leaning too far into one side (De Zerbi) or the other (Mourinho).

Luckily the media should be much more forgiving than back then, while their isn't a strong Catalan identity to win over.

The only old guard left is Bob, so is on the way out. While apart from Cubarsi, we have an LaMasia generation coming through but nobody Catalan immediately breaking through, unless something extra special happens with Fort and Bernal.

Home of Barca Fans