Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi V2

M3ls

Oh, he's blubbering again in an interview.. Yes, money is not important, which is probably why we paid him a measly 100+ million euros a year.

ajnotkeith

Some Barca fans may be happy he is not coming but it's a terrible indictment of our potential recruitment this summer if we can't afford a free transfer on 25m a year.

Looks like it will be a long hard summer scrapping for over the hill free transfers and the prognosis for next season is looking bleak bleak bleak.

Who will entertain us? We will still keep clean sheets with Don Araujo but will that be enough to hold off Madrid who are spending for fun ?
I'm not convinced he was asking for just that.

Wouldn't be surprised if the amount was closer to 50. He went to PSG, then now Inter Miami, both on huge money deals, and was entertaining Al Hilal's offer too. He's looking for a payday at the back end of his career (even though he already made plenty whilst he was here, but yeah).

Money is a big priority for him and I don't think he would even accept 25m a year despite it being a huge wage for a top5 league team.

raskolnikov

There seems to be a lot of unclarity on this. Would have been possible for him to play for a low wage or even free? Some say based om his oreviois contract its impossible. Whats the truth?

ajnotkeith

There seems to be a lot of unclarity on this. Would have been possible for him to play for a low wage or even free? Some say based om his oreviois contract its impossible. Whats the truth?
LaLiga set a minimum baseline value for a players wage towards the salary cap based on ability and past contracts, this value was said to be 12m, so the lowest that his wage could've counted towards FFP was 12m a year.

It is a decently big wage, but not one that was out of reach for us, we are signing Inigo/Neves already and looking to add a few more players so I'm sure if he accepted this he would have signed for us easy.

The truth is he was looking for much more.

raskolnikov

LaLiga set a minimum baseline value for a players wage towards the salary cap based on ability and past contracts, this value was said to be 12m, so the lowest that his wage could've counted towards FFP was 12m a year.

It is a decently big wage, but not one that was out of reach for us, we are signing Inigo/Neves already and looking to add a few more players so I'm sure if he accepted this he would have signed for us easy.

Even if players leave for several years?

If thats true than his love for more money is greater than his love for Barca unfortunately.

I still hope we will have him on a loan during mls off season once to have a proper send off. Like Henry at Arsenal back in the day.
But its dissapointing he didnt just sign with us for a "low" wage for 1/2 years and then went to the mls for a few years.

Porque

There was also talk of him getting a % of the increase of sales just as what he signed with Miami. So that seems to be true.

In terms of shirt sales, that would come from Barca's small share with the club being with Nike, while at Miami it will be Adidas paying that out.

I'm reading that the MLS are making a salary cap exception for Messi, so alot of big players are behind the move, and thus big money.

With the WC there it can bring a ton of visibility too IF the amigos can make Miami a winning franchise.

I don't think we were ever truly in the race, but we may just get a winter loan out of it like Beckham to PSG, when we are back at Camp Nou. So not all bad.

raskolnikov

The new question arises, can he do it on a cold, wet and windy night in Illinois?
Dude be fighting relegation by the looks of it. Miami is like mls Elche now. Between that and being stuck at his pensionsdo rainbow gated community it wont be as great as he might things.

Messi983

Dude be fighting relegation by the looks of it. Miami is like mls Elche now. Between that and being stuck at his pensionsdo rainbow gated community it wont be as great as he might things.

There are no relegations in MLS. And Miami is just 6 points (with a game in hand as well) behind playoff spots with more than half of the season still to be played. They've also fired Phil Neville who was probably the main reason for their bad start. So by the end of the season they could easily still compete for the title.

Porque

There are no relegations in MLS. And Miami is just 6 points (with a game in hand as well) behind playoff spots with more than half of the season still to be played. They've also fired Phil Neville who was probably the main reason for their bad start. So by the end of the season they could easily still compete for the title.

All Neville's are not made equal. Inter Miami didn't know what they had.

Phil Neville managed to take England to the Semi finals of the World Cup as manager.

Messi would have appreciated that.

Messi983

I'm reading that the MLS are making a salary cap exception for Messi, so alot of big players are behind the move, and thus big money.

What's this exception?

Teams already have 3 spots for Designated players (aka the Beckham rule) who can be paid as much as clubs are willing to pay to them but don't count against their cap.

Porque

What's this exception?

Teams already have 3 spots for Designated players (aka the Beckham rule) who can be paid as much as clubs are willing to pay to them but don't count against their cap.

You are correct. I mean a salary exception where the deal is basically the whole of the league paying through a revenue share increase on the MLS deals with Adidas and Apple, and not just with Inter Miami.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
This is the biggest deal in MLS history so all the teams are reportedly pitching in or behind this.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona

All reports from Barcelona to Argentina to France have been unanimous about Barca and him being fine with being on the same salary as Lewandowski, but just because the move didn't happen we're going to pretend and make up stories about how he probably wanted more? Even guys who obviously seem to be getting info from the club's perspective like Gerard Romero have been reporting the same.

The reasons for why this didn't happen might not be as complex as some of you make it out to be. Could be a simple case of him not trusting Laporta or the other people in charge apart from Xavi and not being willing to live in the dark for another month.

At the end of the day it's probably the best decision for him and Barca both as we need to get younger, fitter, faster instead of going the other way.

It's just odd that the people who didn't want him to join in the first place are cooking up the conspiracy theories lol.

Home of Barca Fans