Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi V2

ArtistCatalunya

Good result, to start the competition with, against an average opponent.
I expect Argentina to improve over the tournament, as they did in the world-cup. They started slow, and then improved.

There are some pros and some cons in the collective display.
In the second half, Argentina created so many chances, but wasted a lot of them. They should be more clinical against stronger opponents. Messi, DiMaria, Alvarez, Lautaro, they all wasted some easy chances.. With more focus next time, they can do better.

Btw, there was like 10 minutes in the second half where Canada got more dangerous, pressed and created some chances.
It was exactly just after Scaloni entered LoCelso in place of DiMaria. Some people may ask what's the problem? The problem here is that LoCelso was called to play as a winger in a 4/4/2 flat, but we all know that he is a slow midfielder and can't play on the wing. This replacement weakened the Argentina attack clearly. At least, the coach could rely on Garnacho, a talented and fast player, if you need a quality-winger there, not LoCelso in this particular area and role !

Then, Scaloni understood his error, and decided to shift to 3/5/2 or 5/3/2, which means LoCelso playing just in his natural role in midfield, not on the wing.
After this shift, Argentina returned much more dangerous than before, and created so many chances, one of them lead to the second goal.

That said, I still believe that Garnacho could have a role in this team, even as a second-half player, especially in that 4/4/2 setting with him on the wing.
I prefer him all-day over someone like Nicolas Gonzalez, who makes effort but lacks talent very clearly !
If Argentina wins the next game, I expect them to give the chance to some players for the 3rd game against Peru.

Rory

Judging from highlights Canada had a few really good chances to score, will need to be better against stronger opposition. Poor finishing from Arg too, hopefully a wake up call even if the result was 2-0.

Temptation

Exactly ten years ago Messi scored this magnificent goal:

How time flies.
Great goal under pressure. The most beautiful thing about this goal is how Leo stayed calm and placed the ball in the corner instead of just blasting it with power and compromising on his accuracy.

Most players would get nervous and just shoot it with power hoping for the best.

The Iranian defender can't afford to give that kind of space to Messi in that area. Asking for trouble there.

soul24rage

No way he called Messi "the little one"! Won't Leo be offended at this? Lost in translation?

Messi is one of the most durable players. His endurance and resistance to injuries has always been impressive.

Tough bastard in his own way.
In a way, it's a yes and a no for the lost in translation. Di Maria calls Messi dwarf, but it's mostly used in an endearing way.

Similar case to how Messi calls Suarez fatty.

L3v1s

Great goal under pressure. The most beautiful thing about this goal is how Leo stayed calm and placed the ball in the corner instead of just blasting it with power and compromising on his accuracy.

Most players would get nervous and just shoot it with power hoping for the best.

The Iranian defender can't afford to give that kind of space to Messi in that area. Asking for trouble there.
Well said. Iran was a power block in that match. I always look back to 2014 World Cup with a lot of nostalgia. So many great moments, that Colombia/James Rodriguez run, Netherlands destroying Spain, Germany being a monster, Costa Rica being the dark horse etc. Also Brazil being a great host, I think Latin America is arguably the pinnacle of football tournaments.

This goal is also kinda similar to the one against Iran:

companyofcules

Dude i dont want to sound disrespectful but the owners of this thread are me, Tempt, Rassy, KL, Soul, Horatio, Gician - we are camping here since a lot of years. You are new bro. A guest in this thread. But you want to change things which are common since the era of Ronaldinho. That's like you are entering the house of someone and tells the tenants who are living there for over 10 years you want the bathroom on the left side, not on the right.
Things dont work like that.
I am not new, I just wanted a more blaugrana identity. My interest in interecting with you again started after Franco Madrid plunged themselves into a victimhood narrative about Negreira. Fuck them, their speculative tasteles football, fuck their plastic fans and fuck their records, 60% of what they own has blood stains, fingerprints of corruption and state sponsorship.
As a loyal footsoldier I did my job.

As for the idea that just because spaming on our biggest star in a undedicated topic for said spam was a tradition and it should stay this way, I don't think it has any rational merits and it's quite buffoonish.

Home of Barca Fans