Lucas Digne

God Serena

I wouldn't even call Mathieu a good CB backup. Not anymore. Since his surgery he's been a shadow of himself, when he somehow manages to be healthy. Umtiti on the other hand is playing better right from the beginning than Mathieu ever has for us.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
I wouldn't even call Mathieu a good CB backup. Not anymore. Since his surgery he's been a shadow of himself, when he somehow manages to be healthy. Umtiti on the other hand is playing better right from the beginning than Mathieu ever has for us.

Easy there fellow. Mathieu was actually very good in many important games for us. Umtiti is yet to prove himself, playing a couple of minutes when we were already 5 goals up is not really "playing better right from the beginning than Mathieu ever has for us". Mathieu might be finished now, but Umtiti still has a lot to prove.

xXKonan

It's been said before but Mathieu gets injured quickly if he plays LB.

His body really can't take playing in the LB position anymore like it use to during his Valencia days. He's fine at CB but when he plays LB for a couple of matches straight he gets injured. Since he's getting older it's getting worse and I hope Lucho finally sees this after what happened during the first leg of the Super cup.

I know he wants Mathieu to play since he's been a Reliable CB for us but it's not worth playing him at LB and risk constantly getting him Injured when we have Digne to play that role.

God Serena

Easy there fellow. Mathieu was actually very good in many important games for us. Umtiti is yet to prove himself, playing a couple of minutes when we were already 5 goals up is not really "playing better right from the beginning than Mathieu ever has for us". Mathieu might be finished now, but Umtiti still has a lot to prove.

Umtiti has more calmness, dribbling ability, and passing ability than Mathieu has ever shown for us, and his ability to tackle and block shots isn't any worse. He doesn't have to prove anything, he's clearly better now than Mathieu was when he first joined.

Total-Football

i see no reason not to start him tomorrow .. he has done extreamly well .. award him a Stream of games so he can adapt more .. but i know " play it safe " Lucho wont

Messi983

I was thinking something similar.. Digne should start on LB.. Mathieu is a good CB back up, too slow for LB..

Really? I think he's our fastest CB and also not much slower than Alba or Digne. His problem when playing LB is that he has to run/sprint more and he can't do that now 10-15 times per game anymore. Consistently overlaping and then tracking back. Look at this.

[youtube]H_2Lle-5IOU[/youtube]

Around 70 metres in cca. 7 seconds. That's almost Bolt like speed. :lol: He can still do sprints but just not that often as he could when younger. That's why I think he can't play LB anymore consistenly and not because of his lack of quickness.

Anyway, I think he was still rusty in preseason but will become better when the season will go on if he will just stay healthy. I have a lot of respect for this man. Yes, he makes mistakes (like everyone) but he's always trying to give his best.

xavi_the_Boss

[tw]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Luis Enrique: "Digne could play as a RB in an emergency situation,but it's difficult.The important thing is his ambition &desire to do well"</p>— Grup 14 (@G14_en) <a href="https://twitter.com/G14_en/status/769483435979177984">27. August 2016</a></blockquote>[/tw]

opjeoff

[tw]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Luis Enrique: "Digne could play as a RB in an emergency situation,but it's difficult.The important thing is his ambition &desire to do well"</p>— Grup 14 (@G14_en) <a href="https://twitter.com/G14_en/status/769483435979177984">27. August 2016</a></blockquote>[/tw]

Not surprised, I remember times when Abidal and Adriano played right back because we needed them to. Just means he will likely get more game time.

Home of Barca Fans