Man of the Match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
Great read, Tricky! As usual top stuff :) Just took a break from studying to check whether you posted an update :wub:
Don't have any clue about a good system for the points, if I do I'll post it here.

Trickykid

it would be really hard to pull off this system. maybe there should be just some bonus points for important games. like when there's el clasic, there should be 3pts for first + lets say 3 extra points. 2+2 for second and 1+1 for third. same with finals. but then again there would be a lot of drama which games are important and which ones less so- like i said it would be really hard to do that.

one thing you can already do is that you can show which players are most consistent by showing how many times they have featured in top3 places. would be nice IMO.

About the bonus points idea, it's not that it's not good, but I just think it would pose the exact same problem that the multiplier system would, and you said it yourself - how to grade the matches fairly?
I don't mind creating a top3-appearences list - actually I have thought of doing so for a while now - but it would just make it so much smoother if we already had the points system down. Otherwise it will just be an alphabetical list over the squad, showing how many first, second and third spots they each have, as we can't add a value to each medal yet. Perhaps that's good enough for now?

Also, thanks, Bojan, Paco and CF4 :)

Tomchin

Anyhoo, the other reason for not doing a summary yet is that I had kind of planned on only doing a half season recap and the end of season recap.
Great, I'm already looking forward to it ;)

Btw, below you can see the MOTM-ratings that I've done for another forum. I'm curious if the results here will be somewhat similar.

motm201213.png

Trickykid

Great, I'm already looking forward to it ;)

Btw, below you can see the MOTM-ratings that I've done for another forum. I'm curious if the results here will be somewhat similar.

motm201213.png

Oof, that's smart looking!
Without checking, I can already tell you, that Busi is way, way down the list in this thread, and nowhere near third best. Other than that it seems pretty even, as the spread from 3rd and down is fairly small.

I'll do a rather simple version of your chart, just showing how many entries in the top three the squad has. Hopefully it will be up tonight, so you can compare.

Last edited:

Trickykid

Here's a very simple alphabetical squad list of top 3 appearances:

Started the game(came on as sub) First, second, third place

Abidal 0(0) 0,0,0

Adriano 7(1) 1,0,1

Alba 8(2) 1,0,1

Alexis 8(2) 0,1,0

Alves 9(0) 0,0,0

Bartra 1(0) 0,0,0

Busquets 11(1) 0,1,0

Cuenca 0(0) 0,0,0

Fabregas 10(1) 1,1,1

Iniesta 6(3) 1,1,0

J. D. Santos 0(0) 0,0,0

Mascherano 10(1) 0,0,1

Messi 12(1) 6,2,1

Montoya 2(2) 0,0,0

Pedro 10(3) 0,0,2

Pinto 0(0) 0,0,0

Pique 6(1) 0,1,0

Puyol 4(0) 0,0,0

S. Roberto 0(0) 0,0,0

Song 4(3) 0,1,0

Tello 6(5) 0,2,0

Thiago 2(1) 1,0,0

Valdes 13(0) 0,3,0

Villa 2(7) 0,0,0

Xavi 10(3) 2,0,6

It's not exactly good looking, but I suppose it gets the job done.
The gulf from Messi and Xavi down to number three is extreme, but from then on it's fairly even. The biggest eyesore must be our defense, which is clearly carried by Adriano and Alba who're both on two top 3 appearances, but that's hardly surprising, the way we ship goals this season. Alves is yet to feature, even though he has 9 starts, and Busi has only 1 silver medal to his name.

Trickykid

I made a chart instead, which should hopefully make it a bit easier to look at.
If we go with the 3,2,1 point system, it will look something like this:

2a0g4dz.jpg

Edit: It should be fixed now.

Last edited:

Trickykid

A top 3 model like this is flawed by default, as the consistently stable players who seldomly stick out as match winners, will never be rewarded like they should. I'm guessing this is what has happened to Busi in these rankings. If we were to get a more thorough picture of the season, I suppose we'd need to rate each and every player after each game, and I can't even start to imagine the hassle that data collecting would be.

Anyhow, it's all in good fun, and I like doing the recaps, so as long as people in here bothers contributing, I'll keep it like this.

Oh and about VV and Cesc; yeah, I love seeing them here too... good thing the nay-sayers can't give negative ratings :barca scarf:

Edit: Crap, you mentioning VV as joint third made me look at my spreadsheet again, and it seems I've given him a few points too many. Brb, need to fix that.
Edit 2: Scrap that. It was a miscalculation on my side, so his points are actually in order after all (3 2nd place finishes = 6 points)

Last edited:

Jelboo

The Official Barcaforum.com MoM-thread award
Champions League, Celtic, home (2-1)

but Messi, however, failed miserably as he had his second worst The Official Barcaforum.com MoM-thread award-game of the season, as some kind soul on the forums took pity on him and awarded 1 single point as a very, very small and slightly pathetic bandaid on a huge puss-filled, gaping wound.

I think I was that kind soul. :p Messi was far from good, but still looked lively and created danger. It was a decent performance and he still outclassed most of his team mates. I agree, however, that he can and should have done better.

Papabeef

This match had so many imo even for 2nd and 3rd places.... pretty hard to pick but here we go,

Cesc - Maestro yet again!

Montoya - I miss an on form Dani Alves but Montoya is really killing it on his behalf!

Song - He really pressured Rayo players well today, also his passing is becoming Barca-Certified!

It feels awkard not adding Alba, Messi or Adriano after the decent overall showing but had to chop some down.

Last edited:

footyfan

Calma, calma
I don't think many played well today:

Cesc - Great game, the only player who it seemed didnt mess up.
Villa - Confidence boosting goal.
Busquets - Was great in defence and seemed to be the only calm player in the back line.

Mentions to Xavi who despite having some awesome moments lost the ball too often. Same with Alba.

Vapor

Cesc - Really finding his mojo. Everything about his game was on point, including his defensive effort, and his attacking was excellent.
Adriano - Great in defense
Pedro - Made some solid runs, beautiful assists... did well today.

Last edited:

abual3bed1

Cesc: great eye for players moving up front, another excellent day by him.
Adriano: WHAT A BEAST
Song: Did great, hopefully Tito finally realized he's only a DM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans