Mauro Icardi

soul24rage

He would be an absolutely sound replacement. It's unlikely to go down in either case since Messi had a hand in blocking his inclusion to the national team, but there is no institutional low Barto isn't prepared to go for. The loan is exactly for this sort of purpose.

Doubt Wanda likes England, shitty climate to do sunbathing, raise kids or do business since it'll be after Brexit. It's Spain, PSG or nowhere.

I really doubt Messi blocked Icardi's inclusion. There were photos of Messi and Icardi together and it looks like Messi doesn't have any beef with him. Even Icardi hoped that Messi returns to the Argentina Squad for Copa America 2019.

Leo_Messi

He would be an absolutely sound replacement. It's unlikely to go down in either case since Messi had a hand in blocking his inclusion to the national team, but there is no institutional low Barto isn't prepared to go for. The loan is exactly for this sort of purpose.

Doubt Wanda likes England, shitty climate to do sunbathing, raise kids or do business since it'll be after Brexit. It's Spain, PSG or nowhere.

Nah. Flo is an expert at smelling a rat agent. Systematically got rid of every Mendes player and never done a deal with Raiola.

A few things point against it. Will make bullet points this time around, lol.

1) Icardi is a former canterano who practically left for free. The new proclaimed policy is not to buy canteranos that left for free unless in very exceptional cases. Is Icardi an exceptional case? I highly doubt that.

2) Icardi is a goalscorer. A world class one on his day. However other than actually scoring goals, mostly in the penalty box or on penalties, he is an incredibly limited number 9. Not fitting the description of our traditional mobile and technically gifted number 9's at all.

3) His entourage is rather toxic and there has been repeated rumors of him being a negative influence in the Inter dressing room. We notoriously don't want such kind of players.

4) The claims of Messi having a bad relationship with Icardi have been dismissed by both players. What is right or wrong here we won't know but I doubt that it has much ground on earth. If I recall the problem was greater with Mascherano and the older guard.

5) It is still the EPL. The most wealthy league in the world by a considerable margin. Quite a few Argies and more recently South Americans have moved there in recent years and doing rather well overall. Could definitely see it happen.

6) If Spain it is either RM, unless Florentino blocks it, or Atlético. Can't see us going for him at all. Would be incredibly surprised if that was the case. I really hope (personally) that we don't.

Last edited:

El Gato

Villarato!
I really doubt Messi blocked Icardi's inclusion. There were photos of Messi and Icardi together and it looks like Messi doesn't have any beef with him. Even Icardi hoped that Messi returns to the Argentina Squad for Copa America 2019.

Well, probably didn't outright "block" it, but if you get the choice between keeping the core that you're content with i.e. yourself-Kun-Higuain and add Dybala rather than include a guy who was an attack leader then you'd not exactly do a thumbsup to that given Mauro's personality.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Well, probably didn't outright "block" it, but if you get the choice between keeping the core that you're content with i.e. yourself-Kun-Higuain and add Dybala rather than include a guy who was an attack leader then you'd not exactly do a thumbsup to that given Mauro's personality.

One of the reasons for the tension between Messi and the Argentine press lately where Messi has refused to speak to them is because of some media personalities there claiming he picks the team.

For all the talk about Messi picking the squad, his best buddy Aguero gets to play precious little for the NT compared to Higuain or even other no-name strikers.

El Gato

Villarato!
One of the reasons for the tension between Messi and the Argentine press lately where Messi has refused to speak to them is because of some media personalities there claiming he picks the team.

For all the talk about Messi picking the squad, his best buddy Aguero gets to play precious little for the NT compared to Higuain or even other no-name strikers.

Didn't say he picks the squad.
Okay-ing the frontline tho isn't a big reach when you actively need chemistry with a player who will always play ahead of you to have the best chance of winning. And he's a captain who's supposed to be the voice of the locker room. Cannot have competing opinions from another forward you barely played with. They've pretty consistently played him as a free electron akin to Barca no matter the manager, which tactically forces a sole striker. Which means he would only usually play next to one of the lot mentioned in the conversation to keep tactical integrity (which they fail to do all the time). Icardi would need to be that 1 player and Messi never played with him. I strongly doubt he'd just not give a shit who is picked there and get on with it.

[MENTION=22502]soul24rage[/MENTION] (for the post below) yep, basically what I mean here - it's not a reach to say there's no Leo component there though. Speculative, sure, but is it really so doubtful given what we know about Leo and how poorly he can cooperate with the new inclusions in Barcelona? It's not some tactical blunder Semedo looks half the player when he's out there with him sans Dembele as winger, or that he and Coutinho cannot click next to each other in the mid-sector. Analogous to the Argie attack.

Last edited:

soul24rage

The thing is that that core had played together at the NT for a very long time and Icardi played with Messi only for like 3-4 games in the Fall 2017? I think that Sampaoli thought that both Messi and Icardi didn't have the time to build the chemistry needed to compete for the WC and rather went for what was 'familiar' to the players at the time (although I disagree with Sampaoli's decision as I thought Icardi would offer more than Higuain).

Barcilliant

Perez is in love with Benz. Unless he dips again before May and screws our trophy chances, there's little chance he'll change his mind. + Icardi will make the same demands any other potential striker did like Dżeko or Lewa, most were told they would be considered only as secondary options.

Can someone tell me why Perez loves Benzema so much? He flogged Ronaldo off at the first opportunity but keeps a profligate striker like Benzema.

El Gato

Villarato!
OK but what about his man crush for Benzema?

Fondness. He likes the guy. It's his 2nd Zidane project of a talented player from poor districts of France being given a chance etc. etc. Everyone likes Benz because he's a 'useful idiot' type of guy.

FCBfan22

Fondness. He likes the guy. It's his 2nd Zidane project of a talented player from poor districts of France being given a chance etc. etc. Everyone likes Benz because he's a 'useful idiot' type of guy.

Except Valbuena and his wife.

khaled_a_d

A few things point against it. Will make bullet points this time around, lol.

1) Icardi is a former canterano who practically left for free. The new proclaimed policy is not to buy canteranos that left for free unless in very exceptional cases. Is Icardi an exceptional case? I highly doubt that.

He didn't leave for free, he was loaned with option to buy that was exercised, with Zubi once saying it was his (Zubi) decision because he didn't like his (Icardi) behaviour and didn't think he would fit with Messi being false 9 at that time.
The other cases are players the club tried to keep but they left anyway, like Bellerin and that guy in Monaco etc. Icardi wasn't that case as the club could have kept him if they wanted but that was never the case.

I hope you are right and we aren't looking for him at all. don't like the fit, the entourage or the character at all.

That being said, I doubt RM has real interest in him either, Perez is smarter than this and they seem interested in other young strikers.

ATM is interesting case, but with Morata going there they might prefer to wait before spending a record signing on Icardi? PSG? not sure tbh but I don't think they need him
Apparently, there was a deal with Juve but the money went to CR7 when he told them he wants to join.

Home of Barca Fans